Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexus LX470 Rear Cabin Conversion...

Very well done. I have one question. Have you considered top hinge third row windows that would swing up and allow access to your kitchen? I have seen these for the 60 series and thought someone was building them for the 100 series. Imagine standing beside the truck and reaching in to use your sink and kitchen, that would be very cool.

I can't wait to see the finished product.
    00 - UZJ100 - BIOR Step Sliders and Diff Drop, OME 865s, Bilsteins, DT Headers, GY Duratracs - 275/70 R 18 on Tundra Steel Wheels
    Patriot Cases - www.patriotcases.net

Quote Originally Posted by RobRed View Post
    What did you do for the fresh air intake on the rear AC system?
    There is an open end under the fridge...air will flow...

On the driver side, the subwoofer got covered...Maybe the sink will become a resonator cone...???...

Default Lexus LX470 Conversion - Part 4

(above) Mike wanted a durable finished deck...I found an interlocking composite floor tile that met that need and fit the aesthetic of the Lexus...On the rest of the surfaces that got covered I used carpet...

(above) The lower rear panel is birch and got a couple coats of tung oil...

(above) All the carpet was applied with pressure sensitive adhesive ...
    The pulls for the doors and drawers is black nylon cord...

(above) The access door is narrow, yet functional...

(above) Aluminum L-metal covered the carpet seams at the corners...Each piece of aluminum trim is a single piece, with a pair of 45 degree cuts into just one side of the corner, then folded over and screwed in place...Doing it like that removes the sharp corner edge...safer...

(above) Load 'er up...

(above) The bed section half way folded over...

(above) The stainless steel, carpet and composite flooring really work well in here...Seems like a factory option...

The bed section is fully folded out here...

(above) The access hatch is there...See the hinge...barely...???...The flooring panel lifts out and the hidden door lifts up...all while maintaining a flush, flat floor...

(above) Looking into the curb side wheel well storage bay...The 12VDC outlet is for the fridge...

(above) Looking through the rear driver side access door into the wheel well storage bay...

(above) The battery / inverter...More storage can go in there...

(above) Looking under the sink...The subwoofer fires right at the sink...Maybe it could turn out to be a sub-sonic cleaner...???...

(above) Detail of the soldered-on sink tailpiece...I used epoxy to join the elbow to the drop...

(above) Inverter under the fridge zone...The open area to the left gives the rear AC enough air...

(above) I covered the exposed metal on the wheel wells with carpet...The power panel was placed here for easy on/off control while inside the vehicle...

That's it... Fini...

This looks great, and gives me further ideas for my RV build that is still underway.

Using the stainless steel pans for a sink is great, and I am totally taking that idea. I want to put a sink in my tailgate, but the "sinks" on the market are all too deep. Thanks!

I like the grey water collection idea. I've thought about that and the idea that it would double as water to put out the campfire at the end of each night...rather than the good water.

Question:

What is all the power stuff about? What's the big "control" thing in the last photo. I still can't think of any reason to add an inverter to my set up. What would you use that's 110 volt?
    1999 Land Cruiser ::::: ARB front - Warn M8000 - 3rd cup mod - Rear no-bumper? - 295/75/16 BFG AT - Cobra CB - OME lift w/ 863 rear coils - lots still to do!
    ===============================
    2000 4Runner: sold...and missed

Looks very professional! How long does it take to take out / put back in?

Quote Originally Posted by 5Runner View Post
    . I still can't think of any reason to add an inverter to my set up. What would you use that's 110 volt?
    Main things I can think of are charging the laptop and cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJensen View Post

(above) Mike wanted a durable finished deck...I found an interlocking composite floor tile that met that need and fit the aesthetic of the Lexus...On the rest of the surfaces that got covered I used carpet...

(above) Aluminum L-metal covered the carpet seams at the corners...Each piece of aluminum trim is a single piece, with a pair of 45 degree cuts into just one side of the corner, then folded over and screwed in place...Doing it like that removes the sharp corner edge...safer...
    That floor tile/aluminum extrusion combo looks identical to our Sprinter. You even used the same cool screws:

Great minds think alike.

I love how you folded the corners. Very nice touch.
    We've been happy with the durability of this setup. It also makes cleanup quick and easy after a trip.

Hello great work I do understand about the draining of the water put I have to defend most of us that are either surfers or campers are not real polluters;
    simple dish water and some food was what I thought would be used here. Would love to have you do some work for me but I am currently hitting the piggy bank to save for the front lockers! Anything done for cooking in this vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by r3run33 View Post
    Anything done for cooking in this vehicle?
    A propane-fueled Cook Partner stove lifts out of rear drawer and sits on dropped tailgate to cook. The liftgate provides overhead shelter while cooking. (FWIW, I believe that the different camping uses you can make of the tailgate surface is a benefit that outweighs the slightly increased hassle of the two-piece rear setup in everyday use.)
    Mike Hiscox

2007/2012 custom Jeep Rubicon XV-JP motorhome
    2003/2014 custom Sprinter 2500 mid/tall motorhome
    2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD
    2006 Honda PS250 Big Ruckus Expedition Scooter

Congrats!!! Such a cool rig

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast