Bug Out Vehicle

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
although in the UK, its highly unlikely there will be much room to 'bug out' too.

That is a key point for much of Europe but especially England (a big island). Here in the U.S. we have a heck of a lot of open land that could absorb many people but in the west most of it is so barren that there would be little "Living off the land". If it is a local disaster (a Katrina event) then bugging out to a viable place to stay a few states away and being self sufficient for that length journey makes a lot of sense. If we get hit by the killer comet where is anyone going to go?

LR Max

Local Oaf
Indeed. The issue would be all of a sudden 8 million people living in the already crowded mountains. Its weird, the mountains on the east coast already are full.

Heading west would be a heck of a haul from Georgia, especially if it is all back roads the entire way. Doubt I'd have enough fuel to make it/could get enough.

chrisquested

Observer
Honestly like ppl has said before if your in the city or close your screwed, unless u can predict something happening.

In my case I live 30 miles south of the big city and I know the back road that could get me out of town to a safer place.

Best thing is have a bug out house an live some what close to it. Your main house in the city and bug out house an hour into the mountains off the road stocked with goody and supply's.

madmax718

Explorer
Living off the land in a national incident or world wide incident is just about impossible for the first few years. Our food supply is highly centralized, and requires constant monitoring and cultivation (and also on GMO seed crop).

The land will be stripped clean. our big cities don't have farms. Without importation of vital food and vegetables, our country doesn't produce enough crops, and without transport, does not get to the town centers.

What a few have brought up ( post 281 and post 282): Yes we are safer and more secure than we have ever been; we have centralized security (police) centralized medicine (hospitals); centralized transportation (trains and airplanes, etc).

However, we are reliant on that system- 100 years ago, you protected your own home, and your own family. You treated your own ilnesses, and only called upon a doctor when all else failed. You maintained your own horses, your own stable, etc. I think life is much more comfortable and secure today, but it doesn't take much to disrupt our lives. 100 years ago, A hurricane (katrina) only affected some people. The rest of the country was unphased. Sandy wouldn't have been a big issue either. Rest of the country still operated.

Today, small events have rippling effects. "Bugging" out into the countryside is a romantic thought- living off the land, like your ancestors- except that there is too many people right now for that.

bug out vehicles are still a good idea- but so is staying put. the only reason to leave is if your location will be compromised.

LR Max

Local Oaf
bug out vehicles are still a good idea- but so is staying put. the only reason to leave is if your location will be compromised.

Indeed.

I remember reading about a guy in New Orleans who went through Katrina. The actual hurricane and the 2~3 days after it wasn't that bad. He said the community actually came together. People were outside grilling/cooking their perishable foods. Sharing with each other. However after three days the water came in and that is when it all went to crap. Said individual came to the conclusion that he had to leave. He must have been living extremely lean because he put on his hiking backpack and walked out.

He had no vehicle but had a friend who worked/owned some sort of business that had a fleet of vehicles. He went in there and got the last pickup. Rode it out of there.

Only reason he left is because the water came in. The chain reaction from that sent everything to crap.

Considering the size of our government and how law enforcement has grown in the last 10 years, I doubt a public disturbance would cause any kind of social collapse.

The only thing that leaves is disease. If that happens, well, I'm screwed :Wow1:

911regular

Adventurer
Indeed.

I remember reading about a guy in New Orleans who went through Katrina. The actual hurricane and the 2~3 days after it wasn't that bad. He said the community actually came together. People were outside grilling/cooking their perishable foods. Sharing with each other. However after three days the water came in and that is when it all went to crap. Said individual came to the conclusion that he had to leave. He must have been living extremely lean because he put on his hiking backpack and walked out.

He had no vehicle but had a friend who worked/owned some sort of business that had a fleet of vehicles. He went in there and got the last pickup. Rode it out of there.

Only reason he left is because the water came in. The chain reaction from that sent everything to crap.

Considering the size of our government and how law enforcement has grown in the last 10 years, I doubt a public disturbance would cause any kind of social collapse.

The only thing that leaves is disease. If that happens, well, I'm screwed :Wow1:

Wow,,,that is quite a bit different than what actually happened. People firing on military, rapes, looting, "pheasant hunting", people dyeing of dysentery.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Wow,,,that is quite a bit different than what actually happened. People firing on military, rapes, looting, "pheasant hunting", people dyeing of dysentery.

I need to go back and try to find the write up. It may have been on Pirate. It was 8 years ago.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I got another "bugout" vehicle-

:sombrero: I've got one and I do :Bug Out"-

Sawmillllakejune12022.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

If I gotta carry more-

SUNP0080_zpscadb7a1e.jpg

Gets about the same mileage as the jeep to !

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

madmax718

Explorer
I need to go back and try to find the write up. It may have been on Pirate. It was 8 years ago.

different parts down there experienced it differently. Some areas were not as bad off "security" wise, but other areas were just.. destroyed.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0902-06.htm

There are many reasons not to stay with the herd. It depends on who the rest of the herd is. Even in a big city, not everyone bands together. There was looting DURING hurricane sandy, even BEFORE the water came ashore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier