Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by LONEBRAVE View Post
    announcing your plans is a good way to make god laugh; Al Swearengen DEADWOOD, as someone who stayed in new orleans through hurricanes katrina and rita your plan A better have a plan B, C, D ect.....
    Quote Originally Posted by LONEBRAVE View Post
    I just noticed where your from LAoutback, the u of north texes one oclock lab big band played at the jazz club I GM in NOLA www.snugjazz.com they are incredible.
    I'm a Louisiana boy myself.... but born and raised in Rapides Parish.
    All I know about UNT is that they just spent a **** load of money on a new stadium and the football team apparently really sucks....

And I agree with your original statement..... a good laugh indeed.
    Scott Brown- Overland Guide and Photographer
    1995 Montero SR--
    1988 FJ62 Landcruiser (project)--1987 4Runner(sold)--1997 Honda XR650L--

Anyway. I've been thinking about building a bug out trailer. That way it's loaded should I need to leave and all I have to do is hook it up to the back of my vehicle should I need to get up in the mountains. I'll just use my off road vehicle to tow it there.

DR1665 Interesting setup you have there to keep branches, rocks and other thrown items from breaking front/side glass and protect occupants.
    1999 GMC K2500 BURBAN, NAVISTAR enhanced 6.5 td aftercooled, dual alt's, PSC p/s pump w/HD cooler, redundant FSD's, HEATH program, turbine/downpipe wrapped, 4" SS exhaust, real time OBD2 data logging w/device controller, EVANS waterless coolant @ zero (0) psi & 135 gpm pump, 4L80e w/kevlar and premium steel w/cryo treated input/output shafts running @ 100 deg. F & 140 deg F towing, all synthetic fluids, AMSOIL bypass system, MileMarker hydro, dual fuel tanks, and on and on, questions PM me.

I think it is best to bug in for 30 days and then bug out. With my H1 i can push through traffic. The most dangerious time is the time right after the event. This will give me time to load and prep my vehicle. Unlike most overland vehicles i can drive over cars . I wouldn't if people are in it!!! Not much is going to stand in my way with 24" ground clearance and 100% 1/4" plate steel undercarage body armor ...
    2006 Corvette Widebody
    2007 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab Long Bed Dually FX4 "Fat Elvis" Stolen
    2008 F250 King Ranch 4x4 CCSB Sold
    2009 F450 King Ranch 4x4 CCSB "not stock ;P ..."
    2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2001 Hummer H1 HMCS Wagon
    - RD Stage 3 lift 5"
    - RD Rock Ram
    - 41.5x13.5x16.5 Pitbull Rocker Radials
    - 24 bolt steelies with dual beadlocks
    - Atlas 2 Tcase
    - Bunch of other stuff...

except the suspension arms wearing out and breaking. the ball joint design is garbage. I've worked on hummers, and just do not think they are that tuff. try driving over a few cars and see how it holds up.

they eat diesel, hard to see out of, no room inside, uncomfortable. I'm 5'10", 185lbs, and its a tight fit.

They have upgraded ball joints now that are supposed to be unbreakeable, upgraded lower control arm mods. I actually have a car crush this dec i will report back. Like lots of stuff you need to know the limitations of your equipment.

I am 5'11" 210lbs and I love riding in it. You are correct they are not the most roomy.
    Last edited by Humvette; 05-10-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Couple of good points by Humvette: the time to bug out is either early, before the general population realizes it's time to go, or well after the bulk of the traffic has died down which means a bug in for an undetermined period of time.

I would highly suggest either a trailer or roof rack for carrying extra food, water, etc but then again, this is an expedition site so you guys are already on top of it

To me, a bug out vehicle should be something ultra reliable, easy to work on, and rugged. That's why I chose my '89 Jimmy. The thing is super simple, has a solid front axle, but has throttle body fuel injection for a lower maintenance vs. a carb. It may not be the most luxurious thing (I'm always jealous of my friend's FZJ80) but it will get me there, no questions asked.
    Chris
    1989 GMC Jimmy - adventure truck: HAM radio, dual batts, Helton shower, winch, ARB fridge
    2005 GMC Yukon - daily driver: HAM radio

cladr1
    you are correct.

I am working on my truck to extend the range to 1000 miles!!!

Since no one knows where the disaster will happen you have to be mobil
    2006 Corvette Widebody
    2007 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab Long Bed Dually FX4 "Fat Elvis" Stolen
    2008 F250 King Ranch 4x4 CCSB Sold
    2009 F450 King Ranch 4x4 CCSB "not stock ;P ..."
    2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2001 Hummer H1 HMCS Wagon
    - RD Stage 3 lift 5"
    - RD Rock Ram
    - 41.5x13.5x16.5 Pitbull Rocker Radials
    - 24 bolt steelies with dual beadlocks
    - Atlas 2 Tcase
    - Bunch of other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Humvette View Post
    cladr1
    you are correct.

I am working on my truck to extend the range to 1000 miles!!!

Since no one knows where the disaster will happen you have to be mobil
    Try Northwest Metal Products for additional/custom tank they build em to meet current regulations and supply compliance placard/sticker.
    "I have no connection to NMP other than use their products".

I have 43 gal main, 25 gal aux then 6 jerry cans I figure 20/22 mpg loaded and pulling M101a3
    1999 GMC K2500 BURBAN, NAVISTAR enhanced 6.5 td aftercooled, dual alt's, PSC p/s pump w/HD cooler, redundant FSD's, HEATH program, turbine/downpipe wrapped, 4" SS exhaust, real time OBD2 data logging w/device controller, EVANS waterless coolant @ zero (0) psi & 135 gpm pump, 4L80e w/kevlar and premium steel w/cryo treated input/output shafts running @ 100 deg. F & 140 deg F towing, all synthetic fluids, AMSOIL bypass system, MileMarker hydro, dual fuel tanks, and on and on, questions PM me.

BOV was on the list of considerations when i got this thing.

Now it looks like this, with the M101

Improvements in the works every week.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast