Bug Out Vehicle

announcing your plans is a good way to make god laugh; Al Swearengen DEADWOOD, as someone who stayed in new orleans through hurricanes katrina and rita your plan A better have a plan B, C, D ect.....

I just noticed where your from LAoutback, the u of north texes one oclock lab big band played at the jazz club I GM in NOLA www.snugjazz.com they are incredible.

I'm a Louisiana boy myself.... but born and raised in Rapides Parish.
All I know about UNT is that they just spent a **** load of money on a new stadium and the football team apparently really sucks....

And I agree with your original statement..... a good laugh indeed.

roving

Observer
Anyway. I've been thinking about building a bug out trailer. That way it's loaded should I need to leave and all I have to do is hook it up to the back of my vehicle should I need to get up in the mountains. I'll just use my off road vehicle to tow it there.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
DR1665 Interesting setup you have there to keep branches, rocks and other thrown items from breaking front/side glass and protect occupants.

Humvette

Adventurer
I think it is best to bug in for 30 days and then bug out. With my H1 i can push through traffic. The most dangerious time is the time right after the event. This will give me time to load and prep my vehicle. Unlike most overland vehicles i can drive over cars ;). I wouldn't if people are in it!!! Not much is going to stand in my way with 24" ground clearance and 100% 1/4" plate steel undercarage body armor :) ...

roving

Observer
except the suspension arms wearing out and breaking. the ball joint design is garbage. I've worked on hummers, and just do not think they are that tuff. try driving over a few cars and see how it holds up.

they eat diesel, hard to see out of, no room inside, uncomfortable. I'm 5'10", 185lbs, and its a tight fit.

Humvette

Adventurer
They have upgraded ball joints now that are supposed to be unbreakeable, upgraded lower control arm mods. I actually have a car crush this dec :) i will report back. Like lots of stuff you need to know the limitations of your equipment.

I am 5'11" 210lbs and I love riding in it. You are correct they are not the most roomy.

Last edited:

clandr1

Adventurer
Couple of good points by Humvette: the time to bug out is either early, before the general population realizes it's time to go, or well after the bulk of the traffic has died down which means a bug in for an undetermined period of time.

I would highly suggest either a trailer or roof rack for carrying extra food, water, etc but then again, this is an expedition site so you guys are already on top of it :)

To me, a bug out vehicle should be something ultra reliable, easy to work on, and rugged. That's why I chose my '89 Jimmy. The thing is super simple, has a solid front axle, but has throttle body fuel injection for a lower maintenance vs. a carb. It may not be the most luxurious thing (I'm always jealous of my friend's FZJ80) but it will get me there, no questions asked.

Humvette

Adventurer
cladr1
you are correct.

I am working on my truck to extend the range to 1000 miles!!!

Since no one knows where the disaster will happen you have to be mobil

FellowTraveler

Explorer
cladr1
you are correct.

I am working on my truck to extend the range to 1000 miles!!!

Since no one knows where the disaster will happen you have to be mobil

Try Northwest Metal Products for additional/custom tank they build em to meet current regulations and supply compliance placard/sticker.
"I have no connection to NMP other than use their products".

I have 43 gal main, 25 gal aux then 6 jerry cans I figure 20/22 mpg loaded and pulling M101a3

PsychoBurb

Observer
BOV was on the list of considerations when i got this thing.
IMG_4665.jpg

Now it looks like this, with the M101
IMG00184-20110524-1728.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Improvements in the works every week.

Carlyle

Explorer
If you stay at home, which I agree is probably the best choice in a long term situation, your limiting factor will typically how much clean water you have stored. The rest is just simple planning.

robert

Expedition Leader
If you stay at home, which I agree is probably the best choice in a long term situation, your limiting factor will typically how much clean water you have stored. The rest is just simple planning.

Or how much you can acquire. If you've got a nearby water source such as a pond, lake, creek, etc and it's not too contaminated with chemicals it's pretty easy to make it potable. As you noted, the key is planning ahead.

baca327

Adventurer
I feel that the best thing you can do is educate yourself and your family. Say you cut yourself deep, you don't know how to patch it. So you just do the usual and apply pressure and 2 weeks later your in agony with a horrible infection. Maybe you have antibiotics maybe you don't. So just say your right hand is infected and is your dominant hand. Can you shoot with your off hand maybe so or maybe not. This all could be prevented with knowledge on first aid, where if you or your spouse would of known to clean the cut, suture and monitor the wound. Also burns are quite common and a bad one can easily lead to an infection. Allergic reactions, do you have any? Have any small children? Know anything about first aid? So you got that covered what happens if you break down, no matter what we say there is no way you can ever carry every single part that could possibly fail. So your input shaft on your transmission breaks, your stuck in the middle of the desert. Do you have maps and compass, more importantly do you know how to use them? Also do you know how to find water, solar stills, terrain etc... Okay so everything goes right and you make it to your bug out area, have food stored? What if its compromised, know how to trap animals or do you use guns and let everyone know your there? There is a infinite number of scenarios pertaining to survival that's why its survival. So I would have to agree like stated earlier your back and your brain are the two most important pieces of gear, not to say all the other gear or supplies aren't important. So no matter your gear, weapons, or supplies with poor knowledge the littlest thing can take you down.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I feel that the best thing you can do is educate yourself and your family. Say you cut yourself deep, you don't know how to patch it. So you just do the usual and apply pressure and 2 weeks later your in agony with a horrible infection. Maybe you have antibiotics maybe you don't. So just say your right hand is infected and is your dominant hand. Can you shoot with your off hand maybe so or maybe not. This all could be prevented with knowledge on first aid, where if you or your spouse would of known to clean the cut, suture and monitor the wound. Also burns are quite common and a bad one can easily lead to an infection. Allergic reactions, do you have any? Have any small children? Know anything about first aid? So you got that covered what happens if you break down, no matter what we say there is no way you can ever carry every single part that could possibly fail. So your input shaft on your transmission breaks, your stuck in the middle of the desert. Do you have maps and compass, more importantly do you know how to use them? Also do you know how to find water, solar stills, terrain etc... Okay so everything goes right and you make it to your bug out area, have food stored? What if its compromised, know how to trap animals or do you use guns and let everyone know your there? There is a infinite number of scenarios pertaining to survival that's why its survival. So I would have to agree like stated earlier your back and your brain are the two most important pieces of gear, not to say all the other gear or supplies aren't important. So no matter your gear, weapons, or supplies with poor knowledge the littlest thing can take you down.

Problem is you'll come across the dumb as_ types who have been taught that "survivalist" is a bad word and being one is even worse. IMHO survival is serious business and each and every individual should learn it "make it a hobby" in order to survive or increase their chances of surviving any given or unknown situation.

Yes, survival is the most important skill one can possess, its not some entertainment where the biggest l___ wins!

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
well i normally lurk around and don't say much, as i haven't the money or the mechanical skill to accomplish the orv i would like, but being in public safety i can honestly say most people have no idea how to navigate their communities. all they know are those main roads that service them every day. they don't know about where this dirt road goes or even the lesser traveled paved roads. themain roads is where you traffic congestion will be. if you live in a metropolitan area yes it will be very crowded on the roads. the fringe of the area is where you need to scout out alternative routes away from the main arteries and even the secondary ones.

when on the fringe, look for rail road service roads, utility right of ways (power gas lines). you would be surprised how many ways from point a to b you'll find.

make sure your vehicle is at least semi off road capable, the minimum of a hand winch is a must, mainly for removing obstructions(trees, fences, cars and large debris) as for the food and water issue, you know where you're going and for how long plan accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles