What is the better Optima ? Blue or yellow

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Looks like I have to replace my Gp31 blue top. Amazon has a yellow and blue top with free shippping. The spec's seem to be the same with the only noticable difference is the the stud posts on the blue top.

The price difference is a couple of bucks.

Thanks

kai38

Explorer
I think that's what was explained to me when I bought my 2nd battery for the dual system, both are deep cell, the blue has the extra posts and is designed more for marine use.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
The easiest way to tell is that Optima batteries with dark gray housings are starting batteries and the ones with light gray housings are deep cycle. All red tops are starting, all yellow tops are deep cycle. The only ones that could be either are the blue tops. Make sure you get the proper one for your application.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The Blue top is a light grey. I guess it comes down to the stud posts that will allow me to wire all the accessories much easier and the winch directly to the terminials.

Neither is really better - it's more about which mix of specifications and features are important to you.

I currently have both a blue top & a yellow top, which I am planning to replace with Sears Diehard Platinum batteries. I want the extra capacity and the reliability of these Odyssey batteries is said to be much better than Optima.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles