96 Montero SR Headlight on buzzer?

dave52355

Observer
Hope this is an easy one. Is there a headlight on warning buzzer, and where is it located? The key buzzer works.

Thanks

dave52355

Observer
We have a short mountain tunnel we pass thru. My wife always forgets to turn the lights off. I saw a post that indicated the 95 SR had one behind the instrument cluster, just wondered before I start ripping things apart.

dave52355

Observer
The previous owner had an after market alarm system installed. He said the thing kept locking the doors at the wrong times so he pulled the fuses. It seems to me that those alarms tie into the door switch, so maybe I need to find where he pulled the fuses from and pop them back in? Might be the fix. Funny the owners manual doesn't say anything about a headlight warning buzzer.

dave52355

Observer
Been trying to trace with the tech manual. Appears the light, and key buzzer comes off fuse 11. After brain storming we realized that the key warning buzzer does not work. Also on the same circuit is the seat belt warning ( not working ) The cig lighter is working so I'm thinking the fuse is good. I'll check it for sure as soon as my wife stops driving the truck. :) Currently we're down to one vehicle and it does not sit still long.

Clem

Adventurer
Warning Noises

It didn't seem clear from the other responses, so I thought I would chime in (haha). My '99 has both a headlight warning chime when the lights are left on and the key is not in the ignition and there is also a warning chime when you leave the key in the ignition and the door is open, HTH.

Clem

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It didn't seem clear from the other responses, so I thought I would chime in (haha). My '99 has both a headlight warning chime when the lights are left on and the key is not in the ignition and there is also a warning chime when you leave the key in the ignition and the door is open, HTH.

Clem
I disconnected the door/key chime but didn't disable the headlight warning chime.

dave52355

Observer
Thanks for the replies. It has been raining here ( no garage ) so I've not been able to get back to the light buzzer. Was hoping Friday or Saturday but the forecast is now saying rain all weekend. I'll let you know what I find. One thing I did notice, when the driver side door is opened the overhead interior lights do not come on. It may be a faulty door switch causing this.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The door/key buzzer is in the instrument panel (& the light buzzer is probably there too) which you can remove while dry and simply seated in the car.:ylsmoke: Small fingers are helpful when doing this though.

dave52355

Observer
Broken door jam switch on drivers side. :( Well that would explain a lot. The plug for the switch has been pushed over to one side so that the switch does not plug in. On the switch the plunger is broken. I'm assuming that it is a normally open circuit till the plunger is released? Rain clouds moved in so I won't get more testing done.

dave52355

Observer
No, unfortunately. :( I replaced the switch checked fuses and still no buzz. Fiddling around under the dash I found a set of wires ( 3 total ) that had been cut. The truck has an after market alarm system that I suspect was tied into the door switch. Unfortunately, the previous owner had pulled the fuses because the alarm kept going off, probably because of the broken switch. I have not been able to locate the inline fuse holders and he does not remember more than " under the dash ". My last excursion under the dash ended with me wedged between the seat steering column and hand controls barely on my wheelchair. Fortunately the local paramedics are close by and were able to extract me from that rather awkward position.

Needless to say I've not ventured back under there since. :)

We did find the positive terminal for the battery had gone bad. No manner of tightening was going to keep it on. I replaced the terminal and a lot of our dead battery issues have been resolved.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier