Diesel Suburban Help

saburai

Explorer
Hi Gang!

We are considering moving up from the XJ to a 4x4 Diesel Suburban. Initially I was going to put a MB OM 617 in the Jeep but we could sure use more room so a 4x4 'burban would be a natural. I could use some help in determining which model and year would be the best candidate. From the small amount of research I've done, it seems that a 1993 or earlier would be the way to go as I'm looking for mechanical injection. So I guess a late 8th gen. or early 9th would be what to look for.

Can anyone offer up insight as to best of breed and any other tips that would help?

Many Thanks...

jjosu

Observer
If you want a mechanically injected 6.5 turbo diesel, you need a 92 or 93 model. The catch (isn't there always one) - no such beast was available in the Suburbans of those years. You can get a 6.2 and convert it over to a 6.5, I imagine.

Or you can find the 6.5 and then put it in whatever you want. That's what I did, with a 92 6.5 transplanted into a 1991 Burb.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Are you looking for turbo or NA? The NA can be a bit of a dog, but offroad in 4lo it is a tractor. Steel soldiers has alot about the ol 6.2 and 6.5. Diesel place also has some good info.

greengreer

Adventurer
You can use a DB2-4911 injection pump to mechanically inject any electronic 6.5, the big issue however, is controlling the transmission(all gmt400 'burbs were auto). The rest of it is fairly simple. Better yet find a donor truck with the diesel and an nv4500 and put it into whatever suburban you like. :sombrero:

saburai

Explorer
Thanks for the good info! Realy don't waant to get in to a swap - we don't have a fixed base and that makes bigger/longer projects problematic. Am I to understand that there are no manual gearbox diesel suburbans? I was hoping for a five speed...

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Thanks for the good info! Realy don't waant to get in to a swap - we don't have a fixed base and that makes bigger/longer projects problematic. Am I to understand that there are no manual gearbox diesel suburbans? I was hoping for a five speed...

Go with the Benz motor, and a small trailer. Suggest nice big oil bypass filtration or centrifugal oil filtration for extended oil change intervals, oil cooler too. Increase intake and exhaust diameter for better VE. Compound turbo charging or larger turbo @ "low boost" will be a nice addition. EGT, boost, IAT gauges are great to monitor diesel. Large p/s cooler wont hurt.

saburai

Explorer
Tempting, but as muh as I love the size and trail manners of the XJ a trailer will not work for us and I do not have a shop or the time to get in to a swap...

Go with the Benz motor, and a small trailer. Suggest nice big oil bypass filtration or centrifugal oil filtration for extended oil change intervals, oil cooler too. Increase intake and exhaust diameter for better VE. Compound turbo charging or larger turbo @ "low boost" will be a nice addition. EGT, boost, IAT gauges are great to monitor diesel. Large p/s cooler wont hurt.

REDROVER

Explorer
U can change electronic controled Turbo
to manual very easy. Just get DB2 pump.and waist gate and u are set.

Rot Box

Explorer
I guess it all depends on whether or not you want a solid axle or independent front suspension. Either way I'd recommend finding a 3/4 ton. Better transmissions and beefier brakes/axles in such a big rig are a no brainer in my mind. Also if you are wanting the mechanical injection for reliability I would probably go 90 or older for a transmission that isn't electronic as well. Assuming the 3/4 tons come with the TH400...

I like 6.2's don't get me wrong but if you haven't driven a 6.2 Suburban I'd highly recommend doing so. The only vehicle I can think of with less power is a 6.2 motorhome LOL :coffeedrink:

Andrew

FellowTraveler

Explorer
The 4L80e can be made full manual shift only "no electronics" w/Trans Go manual shift program/kit, however, the transmission needs to be torn down to install this kit.

saburai

Explorer
The 4L80e can be made full manual shift only "no electronics" w/Trans Go manual shift program/kit, however, the transmission needs to be torn down to install this kit.

Bringing this one back from the dead as I never thanked you for your help. Many thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz