O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looks like those are made to fit 2 or 4 maxtrax right?
Where did you get the mercedes felt for the roof rack legs? How is that holding up?

Correct.
From Mercedes. :) (PM me and I'll give you the p/n). Holding up ok, as the legs shift a bit in the gutter the felt moves off of the rack legs a bit, even though it's adhered on.

safariguy

Observer
I think I have read this thread 3 times in the past week, just so I know what options are out there for my yet-to-be-delivered G500. What a superb post, chock full of great information. Thanks so much.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I think I have read this thread 3 times in the past week, just so I know what options are out there for my yet-to-be-delivered G500. What a superb post, chock full of great information. Thanks so much.

Refreshes my childhood dreams of off road vehicles.
I read the builds and by far this is one I have been noting ideas from. So one day, in the distant future, I will be 'on the Wagen' ;)

Thanks guys, I'm thankful you've found my build so helpful! I enjoy sharing info on these vehicles, and how I've made mine work for me.

Update; as many of you know I've had the itch for a slightly larger overlanding vehicle, made a 3-5yr plan, but the vehicle found me(and me it) much sooner than expected. I'd have been foolish to let it pass me by, especially since it was in my corner of the country. So very soon I'll be moving most everything over from the G to the new expo vehicle, "VANdiana Jones." While the G is already my daily driver as well, it'll still be used as such, just won't look so expedition-ready. My custom-fabbed bits from the G will stay in my possession for now, in case I need to use them in the future. Keep any questions coming, I'm still here and very involved in the community.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Yes, please send me that part # or post it here for everyone to see. Maybe you need to use a better glue. I wrapped electrical tape on all surfaces of the rack legs that touch the gutter and it seems to be a good solution, just not as pretty.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes, please send me that part # or post it here for everyone to see. Maybe you need to use a better glue. I wrapped electrical tape on all surfaces of the rack legs that touch the gutter and it seems to be a good solution, just not as pretty.

#000-983-89-10
Mercedes black felt strip; 2.75” wide; (comes per meter)

Will post a build thread to the new beast soon...

McBride

Adventurer
Jeremy, what tire make/model/ size are you running on your Hutchinson Beadlocks? In your experience what is the max width recommendation for the 7 1/2 wheel?

Hope all is well.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy, what tire make/model/ size are you running on your Hutchinson Beadlocks? In your experience what is the max width recommendation for the 7 1/2 wheel?

Hope all is well.

Hi William,

285/75/16 BFG AT on the 16x7.5" et37 Hutchinson WA-1207. I think this is the "perfect" fitment for a W463. Only very very minor rubbing on the plastic wheelwell liner is when one of the rear corners is down in a big hole, all the truck weight is on that corner, stuffing the tire into the wheelwell. I don't know many who have gone with a wider width tire.

Now's the time to let the cat out of the bag; O'erlandewagen has a new home with a friend who used to have a Europa G320, Volvo C303, I believe half a Haflinger, other S/D/P's, euro's, etc. Since I don't need 2 overlanding trucks and could handle a bit better MPG for my daily driver, word quickly spread in our circle that I was thinking about selling him at some point. He couldn't have gone to a better home, and I do miss him--what a wonderful rig, blessed memories.

Of course I'm not going anywhere, still involved with the community and events.

-Jeremy

McBride

Adventurer
Thanks for that info Jeremy. I'm sure your enjoying the van. I have a hunch that you are just an incessant tweaker/builder and ran out of mods for the G! I will head over and check out what you have going on there. I can tell you that you will enjoy having a dedicated camper... keeping all the gear always loaded is super nice and makes quick outings much easier and more frequent.

I'm sure the new owner is psyched.

William

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for that info Jeremy. I'm sure your enjoying the van. I have a hunch that you are just an incessant tweaker/builder and ran out of mods for the G! I will head over and check out what you have going on there. I can tell you that you will enjoy having a dedicated camper... keeping all the gear always loaded is super nice and makes quick outings much easier and more frequent.

I'm sure the new owner is psyched.

William

I am William, although I'm not using it as much as I'd like. That's probably an issue for most of us.
I do love to build/optimize, and the wish list for the G was long, but it really came down to a matter of size of vehicle. With the drawer system in the G and all my camping gear already packed, heading out for a trip didn't take a lot of work(and I am to do that even better with the van--a long process). It's quite honestly being spoiled--wanting to eventually have everything contained in the van to where we access most everything, including sleeping area, from the inside. With the smaller space of the G, that's really difficult for two + dog, and certainly impossible for 4(4 will be a challenge in the RegularBody van, but I'm driven to make it work when needed).

New owner of O'erlandewagen is super psyched, and I'm delighted that the G can continue to have a life beyond daily driving duties(like he became with me once I bought the van).

Again, I miss the G from time to time, it was difficult to see it go, but I'll hold onto the memories and build something new with VANdiana.
There is no perfect truck. I'm blessed to enjoy either of these, so it's all good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94