O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Rear cargo area re-organization is pretty much done for now. Next are some additions to the exterior.

Here's the cargo area now with the custom ver2 spare tire mount. It's amazing--these bits honestly couldn't fit ANY closer together(N.L. PowerPack is touching tire, and F.R. WolfPack is touching NLPP). Once the spare tire was in the new location, I played around with the PowerPack placement. It ended up going latitudinal again. But that meant that the Wolf packs wouldn't be able to sit width-wise like they had. I was able to turn them sideways, still stack 2 on each other, and the 3rd can still sit on it's side--and has about 1/16" clearance to the last tie-down ring on the F.R. drawer setup. And there's still some room for my pup to lay down(especially if I only take 2 Wolf packs)! Very blessed with how it all fit together.

IMG_3143-vi.jpg

IMG_3144-vi.jpg

IMG_3146-vi.jpg

IMG_3147-vi.jpg

Custom RotoPax fuel can rack is back on now and will stay this way--handy to have more fuel capacity when I need it, and lighter load again on the cargo door;
IMG_3152-vi.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Lol, um, you could always put another rack next to it right?

Does anyone make an extended fuel tank for your rig?

Actually not really. Tank rack is a hefty ~27lbs, cans are minimal weight, 16ga fuel is ~96lbs, so about 125lbs for the entire setup when fuel. My Hutchinson/tire is about 104lbs, haven't weighed the factory triangle mounting bracket for spare but it's probably at least 15lbs, so all in all, the swap from Hutch/tire to loaded fuel can rack is about the same weight.....and I don't want to load any more on the cargo door.

In the USA, nothing off the shelf. ORC in Germany offers two; one that takes up the entire rear cargo floor(23gal, ~$1900 not shipped, and doesn't include mounting kit), or one mounted underneath the truck(17gal, ~$3200 not shipped) and I don't even think these include the price of a transfer pump/gauge/etc. FrontRunner only offers one for diesel rigs, as they're most common in S. Africa. So you can see why I went with the custom rack and 4 RotoPax instead. :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yep. I'm in a Tacoma. But have been fighting the replacement tank issue for years. Mine is 21gal stock. They make a direct replacement now that is ~37 gal. Plus I carry an additional 10gal In jerry cans and another 10-20when trekking for any length of time.

Always liked the G-Wagen. In my area they are all mall cruisers for the well off. Disappointing in such a capable platform.

You have some good options; IIRC The Long Ranger has a HUUUUGE tank for you, something like 800mi capacity IIRC(been awhile since I did all my research on those for different vehicle models I was looking at).

US diesels; thank you CARB/EPA. :smilies27

SP Jon M3

Observer
ORC Tank

ORC in Germany offers two; one that takes up the entire rear cargo floor(23gal, ~$1900 not shipped, and doesn't include mounting kit), or one mounted underneath the truck(17gal, ~$3200 not shipped) and I don't even think these include the price of a transfer pump/gauge/etc. FrontRunner only offers one for diesel rigs, as they're most common in S. Africa. So you can see why I went with the custom rack and 4 RotoPax instead. :)

From the ORC brochure, page 87:

ORC additional underfloor fuel tank ca. 57/64l, stainless steel
mounting position: between transfer box and rear axle left side of the prop shaft, with TÜV-certification.To protect the tank we recommend the transfer gearbox protection plate.

5 doors, only for diesel models (besides 350 CDI BlueTec)

64 Liter Art.-Nr. 0490020840* € 2.356,20 (WG D)
57 Liter Art.-Nr. 0490020841* € 2.356,20 (WG D)

And if you translate the german description it does state that it comes with the pump and all mounting hardware.

Included is a pump with switch, cable and mounting material, with TÜV parts certificate.

drew138

First post. Found this site googling the frontronner storage installed in a g-wagen. Started on page 1 and made it all the way to pg 36. Simply blown away by all the thought and custom bits. Glad I made it all the way through page 36 but imagine my surprise to find out there was a front page summary article!!! :) Might consider updating the first post with an edit linking to that article?

Enjoy in good health!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
First post. Found this site googling the frontronner storage installed in a g-wagen. Started on page 1 and made it all the way to pg 36. Simply blown away by all the thought and custom bits. Glad I made it all the way through page 36 but imagine my surprise to find out there was a front page summary article!!! :) Might consider updating the first post with an edit linking to that article?

Enjoy in good health!

Glad you liked the custom bits Drew.
Great idea on the Pg1 link to the ExPo feature. I've now made that change.

Enjoy your FR cargo net, it's a great piece of kit!

ILIAN

Adventurer
Hi, I have been following your build and really like a few ideas I'm trying to adopt. I'd like to see some detail of the Maxtrax mounts on the roof rack. Unlike you my sleeping area is going to be inside the car so I plan on using the FR roof rack to mount a lot of things. I will start a build thread after I get done with most things since it's going to be a long build. I made the roof rack 8" longer by ordering longer side pieces. I'd like to see a pic of the mount to the brackets.

Ilian 2000 G500

otiswesty

Regular guy
Yep. I'm in a Tacoma.
Always liked the G-Wagen. In my area they are all mall cruisers for the well off. Disappointing in such a capable platform.

Those mall cruisers are our future overlanders, be thankful they are being purchased by the 1% to keep the prices down for future 10 year old trail rigs. It's a simple supply/demand relationship.
Long live the m113 powered Gwagen!

Attachments

• Requeson.jpg
    Requeson.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 122

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi, I have been following your build and really like a few ideas I'm trying to adopt. I'd like to see some detail of the Maxtrax mounts on the roof rack. Unlike you my sleeping area is going to be inside the car so I plan on using the FR roof rack to mount a lot of things. I will start a build thread after I get done with most things since it's going to be a long build. I made the roof rack 8" longer by ordering longer side pieces. I'd like to see a pic of the mount to the brackets.

Ilian 2000 G500

Hi Ilian,

I will take some further pictures of the custom Matrax mounts. I had to make the rear bracket a bit more complicated, due to where I have the FR feet legs positioned in comparison to the rack(meaning if you have the rear feet leg on the 2nd to last, your bracket might be different, as I have the last FR foot leg on the last slot of rack).

Will post here soon,
Jeremy

ILIAN

Adventurer
Thanks! What kind of lock is that? Im talking about the thing where the padlock goes through. Is it hard to take them out and put them back? I just had a great idea:rolleyes:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks! What kind of lock is that? Im talking about the thing where the padlock goes through. Is it hard to take them out and put them back? I just had a great idea:rolleyes:

Those are the Maxtrax pin mounts;
Almost to the bottom of the page; https://www.maxtrax.com.au/products
We drilled them out further as it was very difficult to find a lock with a small enough diameter of shank to fit thru the Maxtrax hole. Now they fit with ease.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Looks like those are made to fit 2 or 4 maxtrax right?
Where did you get the mercedes felt for the roof rack legs? How is that holding up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior