Gen 2 Montero SR vs. later Gen 2 Trooper

louisianboy

I own both a Trooper and a Montero, I really like them both, they are both great overland vehicles and are very reliable. My Trooper has 360,000 miles and is now in need of an overhaul, I have taken it to some unbelievable places and I have a great deal of confidence in it, I have worn it out. The Montero on the other hand was my girlfriends car, it is also worn out with 270,000 miles, but I did not spend the hours doing that, it too is a great off-road vehicle. To compare the two: If you are looking to spend money and and get the vehicle the way you want it specifically for overland, I would start with the Trooper. If back seat space is important I would also go with the Trooper. The Montero has a nicer ride and in general is more comfortable, if you are looking for a every day driver that you can use for overland excursions I think I would lean towards the Montero. Overall I like the Montero and I will usually take it but the worse the terrain the more I start leaning towards the Trooper.

Of course this is in addition to the many points that have already been made here the Montero's lockers and it will take bigger tires without lifts, the Trooper's greater ground clearance and longer travel front and rear and etc.

mrwizard

Adventurer
I think I'm going to pick up a '98 Gen 2.5 SR Montero with rear diff locker this weekend, assuming it all works out with the seller. Test drove several Troopers and Monteros. Both seem like great vehicles, but my preference leans toward the Montero. There's not a single thing that makes it outshine the Trooper, but adding up all the small bits, the Montero wins out in my book.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So, did the OP find one yet? Great thread with lots of info, I'm thinking about replacing one of my Jeeps with a Trooper or Montero.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I'm thinking about the same thing. Leaning towards the Montero because it seems to be considered a little tougher wrt IFS strength.

That's if I don't do a LX470 or GX470.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
I was also contemplating the trooper...but the one thing that keeps me looking at Montero's is that in all the CL ads I read its usually the troopers with transmission or engine problems that force the sale. I just don't see that as often in the Montero ads. I know there are a ton of people on here and Planet Isuzu who will say the Trooper is bullet proof, but I can't argue with the fact that I keep ready CL ads that discount the price of the trooper because of known issues.

For me that reliability edge goes towards the Montero.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I was also contemplating the trooper...but the one thing that keeps me looking at Montero's is that in all the CL ads I read its usually the troopers with transmission or engine problems that force the sale. I just don't see that as often in the Montero ads. I know there are a ton of people on here and Planet Isuzu who will say the Trooper is bullet proof, but I can't argue with the fact that I keep ready CL ads that discount the price of the trooper because of known issues.

For me that reliability edge goes towards the Montero.

I would be buying a manual transmission Trooper and likely a 95-97 model if I go with the Trooper, manuals are more reliable and cheaper to fix and the 95-97 models have the better engine. I like the rear cargo area better over the Montero, plus the Trooper has the barn doors which I like. It would be just for camping and fishing, I will still have my other Jeep on 35's for going out to play.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity when discussing ground clearence are we talking body or axle? It is a question I have thought of from time to time. And guess I just want to know what is the accepted norm outside of manufacture.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Just out of curiosity when discussing ground clearence are we talking body or axle? It is a question I have thought of from time to time. And guess I just want to know what is the accepted norm outside of manufacture.

Usually I think folks are talking about minimum ground clearance. The low point on many vehicles is often the differential/axle housing aka pumpkin. That being said, it seems that manufacturers sometimes ignore low hanging items that are right next to the wheels. Also, true minimum ground clearance on independent suspension vehicles arguably would be measured at full compression… and I don’t think many manufacturers are doing it that way.

These are my assumptions, which may be false.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I reallly like both of these rigs and am seriously thinking about adding one to the stable in the next few months.

We've driven both a Gen II Montero, and a Gen II.5 Montero. Liked them both, with the edge going to II.5 due to styling, improved comfort, added cupholders, etc.

I have 3 kids in forward facing carseats, and tend to need to carry extra people on occasion, so I think the 3rd row would definitely get a workout.

I'm thinking that if I put on kid in the rear row with one seat flipped up it would still allow for a fair amount of cargo space on a daily basis.

What's cool though, is that all 3 carseats fit perfectly fine 3 across, leaving the rear area only for cargo, if need be.

ALSO, with two kids in the 3rd row, and one in the middle, we could actually remove the empty seat to allow for very easy entry/exit. Might actually be very nice on a long trip so as to not have to squeeze around the flipped and tumbled middle seat. This setup could be utilized seeing as how we have a small cargo/camp trailer that has served very well to carry pretty much ALL our camping gear. This is without even considering the roof of our vehicle for storage, which COULD be utilized if need be.

My decision really has to do with seating arrangement. the 3rd row really does allow us to spread out, and be comfortable. I think that going to be a very important thing as my kids grow. Cargo can really go anywhere we want it to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online