A new Kodiak for the Fam...

Honu

lost on the mainland
thanks Moody :) again was not trying to corner you or anything just want to get more info :) so thanks again I know the things I asked could seem like a YEAH PROVE IT but again was not meant that way at all !!!

here is one question not sure if you know it ? and if not I can ask springbar I do have one of their footprints in canvas
do you know if that is the same canvas as the tent ? or is the foot print canvas different ?

curious about the doors what they found ? hmmmmm got me curious now ;)

thanks also Unitedelectric

one thing I find interesting compared to the poly ripstop cotton of the African tents is they are way heavier thicker and darker inside etc.. also yes much heavier of course in weight but amazing how thick and tough they are I love the African canvas and wish their was a design that was larger than what is available and still have a somewhat easy setup

again thanks to both of ya and also again thanks for not taking it the wrong way !!! :)

sorry to the OP to pull of a bit :)

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
The family camper I used throughout my childhood:
SCN_0005.jpg

kinda a cool half way tall window ! seems like a great design idea wonder why they dont still have that ?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have some adjustable cabelas poles I planed on using so I could lower one side
I seem to think my 10x14 had a center rope grommet and thought I saw a pic where it was pulled down in the middle ? does your 10x10 have a center grommet on the end of the awning ?

one thing I must say is we all have a choice and I know my wife and I are happy with our Kodiak also my wife does not want to get another brand etc.. as she really loves this one :) of course I am one to always over thing over test :) but have to say the vents the floor the organizers the colors the door I do still really think they have a great tent that offers something different rather than a exact copy
I know we did order in extra organizers and they were pretty darn cheap to get !!!

nice looking tent :)
Gotta say...I am big time impressed. The construction is outstanding. The setup is fabulous. And the material quality appears to be fantastic. I am very impressed. The family and I will be breaking it in this weekend. Can't wait.

Side note - Setup time was about 15-20 minutes tops. And...I was taking my time with the all the components. If rushing to get this up, you could easily get it setup in about 5-10 min.

Kodiak.jpg

More photos and a review upon my return.

Chad

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Went this weekend to a nice little spot up in North Georgia in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Tent did great. Had a touch of rain early Sat morning. Very comfortable overnight. Temps overnight was in the high 40's. Inside the the tent was perfect.

Overall...setup and tear down was a breeze. Setup was around 15min at a medium pace. Tear down went a touch faster. Very satisfied with the Kodiak.

For what it's worth, saving $60-100+ is important in my book. I look for value and quality for the dollar. If you are like me, then consider a Kodiak. There are also substantial deals out there on these tents. I have seen them as low as $349 for the deluxe 10x10.

Very satisfied with my purchase.

C.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
I have some adjustable cabelas poles I planed on using so I could lower one side
I seem to think my 10x14 had a center rope grommet and thought I saw a pic where it was pulled down in the middle ? does your 10x10 have a center grommet on the end of the awning ?

The 10x10 does not have a grommet in the center of the awning.

C.

barlowrs

Explorer
And for what its worth, My kodiak handles rain perfectly, bone dry inside, and pouring outside. Also hands high desert winds perfectly to (sure springbar does as well)

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
BULL$HIT! The 10' x 14' Kodiak costs $599.99, while the 10' x 14' Springbar costs $689.95. That's only an $89.96 (13%) difference in price. So the Kodiak tent is 87% the cost of a comparable Springbar tent, not "less than half the cost."

I'm in the market for a tent right now and the Kodiak is the front runner. Much as I'd like a tent made in the USA vs. China, I'm 6'4, and according to the specs, I can stand up inside a Kodiak but I can't stand up in a Springbar. I don't have to read any farther than that to make up my mind.

The only question remaining is, Kodiak or Turbo Tent? I'm leaning towards Kodiak.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I've also considered the turbo tent vs. a kodiak, and honestly, I tend towards the kodiak, too. The design simply works with the construction material's strengths, and tries to minimize their weaknesses better (IMO) than the turbo tent.

I'm leary of trusting the joints and struts on a turbo tent to be able to pivot and lock indefinitely. The kodiak relies on the the natural waterproofing action of the canvas, and also relies on the spring poles natural elasticity to maintain tension. A metal pole can bend and unbend indefinitely if done so within the materials "I'm not going to work harden" zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles