Upgrading my expedition GPS Navigation System

latinoguy

Adventurer
So recently I have purchased a Netbook (to replace my aging laptop) with enough power to really substitute my old Acer laptop which has Garmin Topo 8 and Nroute that i link up with my hand held Garmin Etrex Vista for navigating off pavement and was really satisfied with that set up, down to the lap top mount.

I am digging the Acer Netbook with 11.6" inch screen, keyboard, 4 GB of RAM and 500 GB of storage. Not being a gamer, and intended use is mostly email, travel PC etc, and navigational tool when doing off road trips, It will serve my needs just fine. Cons: not Bluetooth enabled (can buy the accessory to make it so however)

I also have recently upgraded my cellphone to an Apple Iphone 4, which has a ton of app supporting this model and have read a abit about some GPS software that works descent with this phone.

I would prefer to stay with the garmin Etrex Vista linked to the netbook (for the larger screen) set up. and Topo 8 version.

However, garmin is no longer suppporting the Nroute software and am not sure what other software I can download to be able to link both pieces of hardware together so that they communicate with each other, and i can see the info live on the netbook screen.

Am i missing something? I know I am missing the software piece but perhaps others can chime in with a combo setup involving my iphone or not, and my Etrex Vista or not, I think there is a laptop GPS that you can hoop up via a USB port, but I am not too sure if that is the case.....

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I run an Acer netbook with a globalsat gps puck for $40 shipped
http://www.semsons.com/glbrmogpsref.html

It has been going strong for over 3 yrs and works great with Delorme Topo and OziExplorer
I run Franson GPSgate to let me split the GPS signal so more than 1 program can see it at a time, I know there are free options for this but for as cheap as GPSgate was I am very happy.

Lastly at RadioShack you can get the Igo netbook inverter for around $50 which gives you a 12vdc plug, wall plug and aircraft setup...this way I can leave the Acer wall setup at home and have everything I need

latinoguy

Adventurer
OK I am starting to get the gps puck idea/set up. Once I load up Garmin Topo on my acer netbook, how do I get "live" navigation coverage which is what Nroute used to provide?

Lastly at RadioShack you can get the Igo netbook inverter for around $50 which gives you a 12vdc plug, wall plug and aircraft setup...this way I can leave the Acer wall setup at home and have everything I need[/QUOTE]

latinoguy

Adventurer
Still not clear how running a USB powered GPS like you and others have mentioned, coupled with my current topo 8 will give me a live coverage? I feel I am still missing the software piece that Nroute used to provide me....

You can get a USB powered GPS antenna puck and just run Topo!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am not sure if the Garmin Topo will see the GPS puck but if it works with a Garmin unit then it should worth with the puck.

Otherwise it would make sense to stick as close to possible to what has worked for you in the past.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
There are different TOPO programs out there...National Geographic TOPO!, Delorme TOPO, etc. I use most of them, with either a bluetooth 'puck' a Garmin 60Cs, a Montana, or a USB 'puck' - the best 'inexpensive' solution, especially running on a netbook, is to get Delorme Topo 8 (runs $50 on sale, and some of the packages come with a GPS) and then connect it to your eTrex. The Delorme software will recognize your eTrex (it reads Garmin format output over both USB and serial if you have it).

Topo 8 gives the both on-road routing (decent) and off-road topographic-like maps. It's a great simple solution and you shouldn't have speed issues on your netbook. I ran this same setup (delorme + external GPS) for years and it worked great.

latinoguy

Adventurer
This is looking like a descent solution without reinventing the wheel too much. So I guess I replace Garmin's Topo for Delorme's, if this is going to give me "live" tracking when I am off payment.

There are different TOPO programs out there...National Geographic TOPO!, Delorme TOPO, etc. I use most of them, with either a bluetooth 'puck' a Garmin 60Cs, a Montana, or a USB 'puck' - the best 'inexpensive' solution, especially running on a netbook, is to get Delorme Topo 8 (runs $50 on sale, and some of the packages come with a GPS) and then connect it to your eTrex. The Delorme software will recognize your eTrex (it reads Garmin format output over both USB and serial if you have it).

Topo 8 gives the both on-road routing (decent) and off-road topographic-like maps. It's a great simple solution and you shouldn't have speed issues on your netbook. I ran this same setup (delorme + external GPS) for years and it worked great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94