Bought a Bantam....

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I'm planning to weld the frame and tub together, the challenge is the lip on the floor is corroded in some areas, so the edges don't line up cleanly for a weld.

Thinking that drilling some holes a little further down the edge and plug welding would help tie them together best, in addition to stitching the side wall to the frame.

Bondo is your friend after welding to make the corroded lip and plug welds look like new.
When you get around to mounting fenders, check out my trailer thread for options on using the welded on Bantam fender tabs with larger fenders. I got lot's of other fender set-ups too that I didn't post, to fit just about any tire width.

CRJeepin

Observer
A few Pics from this weekend, in the home stretch! Have a few hours of welding to wrap up and then paint and will be done.

85bab67b.jpg

e057d66a.jpg

ce1d189d.jpg

CRJeepin

Observer
Thanks! Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty pleased that I nailed the dimensions. When I rebuilt my CJ-5 frame I got it to 1/8" corner to corner, which is factory spec -- the trailer was 1/4" out on the old frame and the new is dead on square. The new porta-band was a super investment, it's amazing what clean cuts can do.

The sides, back crossmember and draw bars are 1/8" thick, the crossmembers in the middle are 14 gauge to make it a little lighter, and I added the gussets to tie it together as solid as possible. Also capped the side bars, again thanks porta-band or I wouldn't have bothered cutting the end blanks out with a grinding wheel. Tonight I drilled the holes in the draw bars to mount up the original tongue. Should be able to wrap up the welding tomorrow.

CRJeepin

Observer
Thanks guys....a little more progress, my wife is painting it today and tonight I'm welding on the spring hangers. Couldn't do that with it on the tub as they need to be clamped in place first!
IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

With any luck I'll have it back on it's wheels by Saturday.

Welds didn't come out great in 10mph winds, but did cut a few apart and confirm good penetration so we're going with it.

CRJeepin

Observer
The wife is in charge of painting -- doing a much better job than I, and she put down a drop cloth. Too fancy for me! I prepped it with Marine Clean and Metal Ready as normal, but she is spray bombing it during the day while I'm at work. It's amazing how much better the paint turns out when you do a coat every hour or two instead of throwing 5 coats on in an hour after dark.

Got the spring hangers welded tonight, and gusseted. Welded tabs up front (actually shackle parts, 4 for $10 at Tractor Supply) for safety chains. I spent a lot of time cleaning the spring hangers and the welds came out great, but couldn't get an arc on the safety tabs. That's only happened once before, I went back and really cleaned them well with a flapper disc and then acetone, but still no go. Turned the heat down a notch and it welded fine, but by that time I had a bunch of boogers and junk on one of them so I've got some grinding to do to clean them up.

Anyway, she's painting the bottom tomorrow and then Friday I'll throw it on the tub and start welding it up. Have the tailgate to weld to the frame, as well as two tabs per side for the fender, and new spring plates on the axles. Should be done Saturday and back on the wheels. The only thing I haven't done with the frame is to put the receiver in the rear crossmember. I want to make sure the tailgate works properly first, and will either do it Saturday or a later date....have to see how the schedule goes.

Have a good idea for the receiver, I think....found a short (6") weld-in receiver I bought for a bumper I never built, and it fits perfectly over the stock receiver V. I have to figure out how to work a second bolt in though, probably use the other two shackle tabs I bought for the safety chains and tie it in somehow. Will be swappable with the Fordham (I think that's it?) hitch for around town or to look more stock, and then throw the receiver on for a six-axis coupling.

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

Last edited:

CRJeepin

Observer
No, I'm going to keep the stock trailer wheel and tires. I have an extra trailer rim and will find somewhere to mount a spare. I've got 33.5" tall KM2's on my jeep today and it sits level. It's a little nose-down on my wife's stock grand cherokee. I'll probably match tires to my jeep eventually, but first need to buy the roof top tent and kit out the rest of it!

CRJeepin

Observer
Frame repair work done!

fb0c5282.jpg

Even snuck in the rear hitch. Didn't cut it into the rear crossmember as I couldn't risk messing it up, too tight on time. I set it below the crossmember and welded it up with plates and gussets. It doesn't cost me any more ground clearance than the springs and I'm happy with how it came out.

e71399f2.jpg

cac703e0.jpg

Next up is bedliner, paint and make the lid. Gotta put this project on the back burner a few weeks to do some maintenance and get ready for a trip to Maine, but gonna keep the pressure up on this to keep making progress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior