Truck-Bedz Review

Revik

Hello, I have been a long time viewer of this forum and decided now is a good time to post. I also put this up on the FJCForum but figured you all would appreciate this review.

We just received the Truck-Bez product # 20 TCSB Expedition series for our FJ. It turned out to be a great buy because of its ease of use, and luxurious sleeping capability. For a more in-depth review, check it out in the summer edition of Revik Magazine coming August 2012. Revik Magazine

Expedition Series: #20 TCSB -$170 (Canvas)
Weekender Series: #40 VTCSB -$70 (Vinyl)

IMG_2002.jpg

Truck-Bedz TM, based in Laguna Hills Ca, specializes in air mattresses that fit truck beds. This concept is very simple and old fashioned if you think about it, and yet not many people use this great product. Especially in the overlanding community where bad weather is common and quick set up is necessary. Having the safety of your enclosed vehicle and the comfort of a well fitted air mattress may replace the need for some RTT's. There are many models and most trucks are supported by one or more of the models. There are also two different styles of beds. The Weekender is a thin vinyl version that is cost effective but more susceptible to tears and punctures. And the Expedition series, which is made of heavy duty 420d Nylon Backpack Cloth and can support up to 4,000 lbs!

IMG_1967.jpg

So it arrived very quickly, and the packaging was very sturdy keeping our bed well protected (as if it needs protection...). The Expedition series comes with the bed, repair kit, 60 sec pump that inflates, and deflates the mattress in 1 minute, as well as a carrying case. Just touching the fabric you can tell how strong it is, and hopefully we will never need that patch kit. After taking it out of the box we laid it out in our FJ to see what modifications we needed to make if any. To our satisfaction, we did not need to make any mods. Connecting the pump to the cigarette lighter outlet, we filled our bed in 60 sec! As if that isn’t enough, the pump also doubles as a deflation pump and sucks most of the air out in 60 sec again! Perfect fit! The FJ Cruiser bed requires the bottom of the back seat to be removed but fits well and sits across the top of the center console. Other models of the Truck-Bedz are designed to be used with the tailgate up or down depending on the model.

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

A note for the FJ Cruiser:
You must remove the bottom of the rear seats, and slide the front seats forward so the bed can extend all the way against the back of the front seats. There was another member on the FJC Forums who stated that he wedged the seats under the mattress so it didn't hang down in the gap between the seats, but I was unable to recreate this. I did however try sleeping on it without any support under the space as shown in the pics below with out any problems. It seems that when you have your weight on the mattress, unless your head is heavier than your body... (no comment) then the mattress will not sag in the gap because of the strength of the material and the rigidity of the fully inflated mattress.

IMG_1971.jpg

To answer any questions about whether or not it takes care of the hump from laying down the back seats, I cannot answer as I have a leveling platform that takes care of the hump. However, I can say that other members have stated that it does remove the hump and I tend to believe it due to how it performed over the gap as stated earlier.

Also, the website says something about the center console getting in the way? No problems here. The mattress should sit on top of the back of the console for a few inches, but that is fine since it is the same height as the seats folded down.

IMG_1994.jpg

So how comfy is it? Lets just say, it was enough to make me want to take a nap right there! With enough room to sit straight up and stretch out fully in our FJ, this is a great product to buy for any one who likes to camp out of their vehicle!

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I was going to suggest you bring it over here as well. Thanks again for your well-written thoughts and the pictures. I prefer a tent myself, but if I use this as my go-to air mattress I have the option of crashing in the truck (no pun intended) if conditions don't permit setting up camp. Now to look up that mod so I can release the rear door from the inside...

Revik

I was going to suggest you bring it over here as well. Thanks again for your well-written thoughts and the pictures. I prefer a tent myself, but if I use this as my go-to air mattress I have the option of crashing in the truck (no pun intended) if conditions don't permit setting up camp. Now to look up that mod so I can release the rear door from the inside...

Haha My man! It's a simple one, should only take 30 min. Good luck!

jhawk

Adventurer
http://www.campmor.com/coleman-suv-air-bed-air-mattress.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=87522&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

I'm use the one above in my Disco. With the rear seats out it fits perfect and fits two adults comfortably.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles