High Output alternator

John Willis

Observer
I need a high output alternator. I have a 91 chevy suburban with a 350. I am think about going with premier power so that I can later add a premier welder. The 175 amp is $650 and the 195 amp is $950. Why the big price difference? Is there something else I should be thinking about?

Last edited:

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
i'd like to know this too. would like a HO unit for my Canyon, to help with the lights and winch, but its almost 700 bucks....

Expedition Leader
If you're set on getting the welder, the Premier is a good unit. If you just want more amps for accessories then you can get a 200-amp alternator from Mean Green or other vendors for $400-500. Or you can have an auto electrical shop rewind yours for even less.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Wow......never even thought about rewinding!! Thank you so much.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

colodak

Adventurer
the one issue with the high output alternators is support. Back in the late 80's I had one made by Wrangler Power Products for a Mazda pickup I was driving. No one locally could repair it if something failed (and it did), you quickly learn to carry a backup stock alternator with you when going in the back country. Also, the support from the companies themselves, hopefully has improved, because back then it sucked. The upside, the kit was very complete, and mounting support was marginal, ended up taking it to a local 4WD shop and having them look at the install, they supplied me with Chevy starter shims to adjust the alignment.

I know that in recent years I was looking at this option again for my Dakota, Mean Green makes one for it, and there are a couple of alternator shops in my area who have limited support for the units. This is something I would look into, support once you purchase it and get it installed. Look into rewinding yours or buying another one like yours and having a local shop do a ful rebuild and upgrade.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
How many amps do you need? The GM CS144 is 140-150 amp unit. I am sure there are some other stock GM units that put out upwards of 200 amps. For a welder you can use a modified 15SI. Of course you would need to rig up a mount for the second alt. mount. Since all of these are salvage yard obtainable you can do it for pretty cheap. I did the CS144 for about $40 bucks including the wiring adapter and the welder I set up for about $100 including cables and supplies. Plus if the CS144 goes out I can reinstall the guts into the modified 15SI and be up and running...So essentially I carry a spare Alt. with me all the time.
Darrell

It might be cheaper for your truck to run two alternators. The mean greens are always good and a lot less than the premier power welded alts.

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
call POWERMASTER

( i would fab brackets using a mr gasket bracket and 2 140 amp Proform 1 wire alternators....+)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier