Tent / canopy for my teardrop?

jim65wagon

Hey Old Man, our canopy is a FirstUp Gazebo from WalMart. Easy to set up and it has survived some mighty high winds on Cape Lookout National Seashore. On our 20th Anniversary we used it with our rental Teardrop the sidewalls (sold separately) worked great to keep out the driving rain we encountered in Vermont (although grilling steaks with the walls down was quite an interesting, smoke filled affair!) The walls attach to the gazebo frame with clips and has zippers on two sides for doors. We will be using this same gazebo with our teardrop (dining/kitchen coverage)

My wife made these awnings out of Sunbrella fabric and tent pole repair kits. They are held to the teardrop wall with an RV/VW awning rail (Keder welt is sewn into the awning fabric and slides into the rail). Aluminum uprights fit to the teardrop using Bimini hardware from the boating industry. We're in the process of a lot of little finishing/detail work and we need to take some photographs of the whole trailer setup. For now, this picture is the best I can do for the awning....

STREGA

Explorer
I've been using a 10x15 Ezi-Up that I put over the teardrop, it works pretty well unless its a driving rain. It also helps keep the TD cool when parked in direct sunlight. I have a Hannibal style awning on order (since Hannibals are currently not available) that will have walls as an options.

loup407

Adventurer
I don't have a teardrop, but we use ( in addition to the Fiamma F35 on the Horizon) a Big Agnes awning- they call it a Twin Butte car tarp- it's made to attach to a roof rack and the other end uses poles/ guy lines . We usually attach one end to the end of the trailer awning. There is a separate bug netting available that gives you a bug-free 10x10 room with zippered door. It's saved us last spring as the wet winter and spring resulted in a bumper-crop of mosquitoes. I imagine it would be easy to deploy off the back of your trailer.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
If you are looking for an awning that will be hard mounted to the teardrop, I would suggest Camping Lab. I have three of their awnings and am very happy with the quality. I use a screen set up on one of them and the privacy enclosure on the other. both are mounted on my trailer. The third awning is mounted to the roof rack of my Cherokee for when I need some shade. Their pricing scared me about quality so I bought one to start with, but after receiving it and using it, I was sold and bought two more. I have three for what some of the high end awnings cost each.

http://www.campinglab.com/

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I have the First Up Gazebo (with both walls and screen room) and the ARB 8' Awning. Both serve a purpose at camp, but neither do what I'd like.

When I have the RTT up(on the top of the trailer), the annex installed below (and to the rear of the trailer) gives some privacy below (I have the ARB Simpson III, so the ladder is inside the annex) ...which is very popular with the Mrs....because this allows the porta potty to be set up and left inside...vs. having to go outside at night to use it in the shower tent..she REALLY likes that. It also allows for the containers that are located inside the trailer, to be pulled and kept in a clean, dry area for access.

So after my last trip recently, I spent 4 nights "inside" the trailer, which was extremely comfortable...and so now I am toying with the idea of completely eliminating the RTT, which is a pita to set up because of the height of the trailer, and just using an "add-a-room" at the rear. A place to get dressed, set the potty up for her highness, and possibly use to eat/entertain in inclimate weather...or just stay away from the bugs.

The problem with the First Up, is the water sheds "towards" the trailer, and I don't believe that is the optimum set up in a monsoon....so in my mind, that leans me towards a gable peaked, or even dome type of "portable structure"...then trying to find one portable,lightweight, waterproof, with windows and doors is another story. I also would like to be able to customize the "skirt" that fits the trailer side/door opening, making it dry, and bug free.

One way to go is purchase separate frame fittings, and some aluminum tubing, and construct a deployable rigid frame. That will then have to covered with tent fabric, windows, etc.

Or the other option was to buy a premade structure, cut it in half, shorten the sidewalls, and have plenty of material to add doors, screens, etc, and a skirt against the trailer. With a gable roof structure, the water doesn't run towards the door. Here's an example...just picture it cut down to 10 x10'...I think with some ingenity and some minor sewing skills...you could up with a pretty cool structure, that would be durable.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/shelterl...54199111001P?sLevel=3&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

I think we're both on the same page with the problem..the build is coming along great!

Pat

Just found this...it has some possibilities...of course it's out of stock..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004BRU21K

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I carry the fox wing and the oztent. I have them on my teardrop, tremendous amount of closed in space if wanted. You can see mine set up in the favorite pictures area of this thread.

Really like mine, may add another fox wing to the passenger side, and the oz tent attaches to it. You can make and extended area between the trailer and tent for enclosed eating area.

The fox wing covers the kitchen area of the tear drop. Pretty cool set up, and does it in minutes.

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne