flip pac won't fit on tacoma

quinn281

I recently purchased a used Flip Pac for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. Flip Pac even told me there will be no issues and it should fit no problem. When we received it, the lip that goes over the cab is too low to fit over my cab. There is a light on the top of the tacoma cab that contacts with the lip on the flip Pac. I need about 1" of rise on the flip Pac or my bed to give me the adequate clearance. The flip Pac fits so well every other way and I would love to make it work. Any suggestions out there?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I recently purchased a used Flip Pac for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. Flip Pac even told me there will be no issues and it should fit no problem. When we received it, the lip that goes over the cab is too low to fit over my cab. There is a light on the top of the tacoma cab that contacts with the lip on the flip Pac. I need about 1" of rise on the flip Pac or my bed to give me the adequate clearance. The flip Pac fits so well every other way and I would love to make it work. Any suggestions out there?

Don't worry there are solutions.

The easiest thing to do is to pick up some 1" x 6" Trek "plastic wood" from Home Depot. Place it on the top of your bed rail place the FlipPac on top of the Trek.

Drill through the shell, Trek, and bed rail in three places along each side, and a couple of places along the front of the bed.

Mark the Trek so that it contours the shell.

Remove the FlipPac and Trek.

Shape the Trek to the shell shape.

Place bulb seal or neoprene on top of the bed rail.

Place the Trek on the bed rail.

Place bulb seal or neoprene on top of the Trek.

Place the FlipPac on top of the Trek and bolt in place.

The time involved in doing this is well worth it as the finished product looks great.

You may also want to consider spraying the outer edge of the Trek the same color as the vehicle or FlipPac.

quinn281

Thanks Martyn! I was thinking of using wood, but the Trek plastic seems be be a more durable solution. My other concern is if I raise the side bed rails as you are suggesting, what will happen to the tailgate/window fit? I don't want a gap showing there.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn! I was thinking of using wood, but the Trek plastic seems be be a more durable solution. My other concern is if I raise the side bed rails as you are suggesting, what will happen to the tailgate/window fit? I don't want a gap showing there.

The tailgate seal should still fit. If not you can either use longer rubber seal or change the extrusion. It's all possible, we've had to do it numerous times.

Last edited:

quinn281

Okay, so I propped it up with the Trek plastic and it provided enough clearance. the tailgate does seal with the rubber seal, but the window sits higher now. However, only the rubber seal on the window overlaps with the tailgate. Therefore, when you lock the window, you can still open the tailgate like the window is not there to stop it. Its not so bad, but we would keep expensive equipment back there and would like to have at least a basic locking mechanism. What would you suggest?

Martyn

I wouldn't rely on the rear window for security. Shruk's suggestion may work better for you.

WASURF63

Adventurer
quinn281,

1) Try a search for "PopNLock tailgate lock" to see if they make one for the '01 Tacoma. It replaces the non-locking Toyota tailgate opening handle.

2) Another inexpensive option is to install a sliding barrel lock at each side of your tailgate, so that when you close the tailgate you slide each bolt on the barrel lock into the keeper attached to the inside of the bed. These will require some minor drilling to attach.

>>>the second option also gives you the ability to lock your FP from the inside for some security while you're sleeping.
I used the the first configuration for my '08 Tacoma/canopy combo, and the second for my '10 Tacoma/ATFP; both with good results.

I don't know what Shruk is suggesting, because I can't open the link he posted, but that guy always comes up with some slick ideas...

Good luck.

4xdog

Explorer
The PopNLock tailgate lock looks like a cool product, but alas is not available for a Tacoma.

Don

4xdog

Explorer
...but alas not available for a Tacoma.

...Not available following the link on autoanything.com, at least not that I could see.

Pop & Lock has it for about fifty bucks. Looks like a nice product. Here are the installation instructions

This looks like a good option for in-bed security. Thanks, tnclimber.

Don

Last edited:
I don't know what Shruk is suggesting, because I can't open the link he posted, but that guy always comes up with some slick ideas...

Thanks for the compliment. It was just a tailgate lock like you suggested. There are options available commercially that should work well. No need to over complicate it with one of my contraptions which tend to be part kit, part entertainment of making it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles