1984 M1031 K30 diesel expedition build

Skinny

I picked up a mint truck a few months ago to start an expedition build. It is more of a combination work, play, camp, SHTF truck. It is a 1984 M1031 which is a military spec K30 (rated at 5/4 tons). Bone stock, it comes equipped with a 6.2 diesel, TH400, NP205 with PTO, 14 bolt with detroit, D60 with traclok, 4.56 gears, dual batteries, dual alternators (200 amps total), 24v starting/charging system. In the back is a 12kW PTO generator, 3 phase air compressor, and a Miller 3 phase 200A stick welder. As the honeybadger says...it is pretty bad ***. The best part, it only has 6700 miles on the truck and 5 hours on the generator. I can tell because the shifter is super tight and the pedals have no wear on them.

When I first got it, the trans would only shift at WOT, the engine would only start with ether (no no on glow plug diesels), and hasn't seen any maintenance in the three years it has been decomissioned.

First money spent was on lots of maintenance items. Anything rubber was replaced, anything liquid was drained and filled. Along with maintenance, some other suspension goodies were showing up.

IMG_0954.jpgIMG_0974.jpgIMG_0975.jpgIMG_0979.jpgIMG_0980.jpg

Last edited:

Skinny

I did a typical Offroad Design 4" lift. This is a front 4" Tough Country HD springs and a rear shackle flip. I picked up a set of used 16.5" rims off a 90's F350. This allowed me to mount a set of used Goodyear MT military 37's. Right now I am just getting the truck reliable, up to date on maintenance, and clean on the inside. As simple as these things are, you have so much failure over the last 29 years to catch up on.

IMG_0987.jpgIMG_0988.jpgIMG_0990.jpgIMG_0997.jpgIMG_1006.jpgIMG_1012.jpgIMG_1014.jpgIMG_1015.jpgIMG_1022.jpgIMG_1024.jpg

Skinny

Tons and tons of maintenance. I replaced all cooling system components other than the rad, waterpump, and heater core. I managed to pull all of my glow plugs out and replaced them with new AC Delco's. I chased after all my fluid leaks, fixed a broken downshift solenoid, clearanced the front driveshaft, and so on and so on.

IMG_1008.jpgIMG_1010.jpgIMG_1028.jpgIMG_1029.jpgIMG_1032.jpgIMG_1033.jpgIMG_1037.jpgIMG_1039.jpgIMG_1053.jpgIMG_1055.jpg

Next major purchases will be a front hydraulic winch with mount. The truck is pretty much where I want it to be other than getting some exterior lights and a new dash pad. I will be removing all of the rear bed equipement as it really is nothing I need. Will be selling it all soon.

I will be outfitting the back with an additional saddle tank for alternative fuels, hot water propane setup, a 30lb propane tank, a small Honda inverter generator, small air compressor, cooking/refridgerator equipment, and anything else needed to get out and enjoy nature.

Skinny

Some other random photos of the truck when I purchased it or working on it over the last few weeks. There is absolutely no rust on this truck. Absolutely amazing for a 29 year old truck. It came from GA. Three years ago someone purchased it from a government liquidation auction. He owned it for two years which it was painted black. Never registered or used on the road. That guy died and the next guy purchased it at an estate auction. Again, never registered or used. He was going to strip the axles out of it for his Blazer and part out the rest. He decided it was too nice and sold it to me. I bought it from a Craigslist ad from GA. I'm from ME so quite a ways away. I am technically the first owner using it on the road since the government.

gatlinburg 188.jpggatlinburg 197.jpggatlinburg 198.jpgnew army truck 008.jpgnew army truck 016.jpg

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Great start and great mods already. That thing looks to be in very good condition compared to some that I have seen. With that setup you can truly be like the honey badger and if something gets in your way you just "********** the ******** out of it"!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Skinny, that truck is just sooooooo cool:cool:! Like everyone is saying the truck looks in excellent shape :Wow1:and the mods and maintenance seems to be coming along nicely. I wish i had a truck like that.:drool:

Skinny

I have a buyer for my welder. When I sell the generator head and air compressor, I will have some more funds and get started on the small Honda inverter generator and living emenities. I also need to fix a shaft seal leak on the ol' Stanadyne DB2 injection pump and fix my one alternator which is charging at 15v instead of 14v. Gotta have priorities:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94