Heavy Duty Bumpers for Expedition/Overland Use: Practical Necessity or Superfluous an

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Heavy Duty Bumpers for Expedition/Overland Use: Practical Necessity or Superfluous and Heavy?

The topic is off-road bumpers, both rear and front. I'm talking about aftermarket or custom made heavy duty bumpers designed to replace the factory bumpers on your average expedition vehicle.

Some possible reasons to purchase a heavy duty bumper:

-Protects vehicle from major damage caused by hazards found on difficult or extreme trails/roads
-Provides a proper mounting point for a winch
-Improves approach and departure angles relative to stock bumper
-Provides quality recovery points
-Looks cool

Some possible reasons NOT to purchase a heavy duty bumper:

-Wastes available payload capacity (esp. in lighter, smaller rigs)
-Changes vehicle handling characteristics for the worse (especially in lighter, smaller rigs)
-Expensive
-Just plain unnecessary for most people most of the time
-Draws attention to vehicle (may attract thieves)
-Looks ugly

I realize the best answer to this question may be “it depends”, but I'm interested in your thoughts. Under what conditions and for which vehicles is heavy duty bumper protection desirable? When is it okay but not necessary? When is it actually harmful?

Thanks,
Cee-Jay

PS: I know I'm being a little simplistic here. For example, not all replacement bumpers are created equal; some are more efficiently designed than others.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
My biggest reason for a front was animal strikes, I would hate to be a long way from home and ruin a trip with simple accident. My rear bumper was 1. protection 2. replacing a dented stock one.

911regular

Adventurer
Speaking from a full size standpoint,,,,none of the current bumper mfg's make practical bumpers for full size trucks. Unless you want to ram cows, have the bumper survive an IED, or just wear your balljoints out early. Seems all of the aftermarket bumpers are just too freakin heavy and bulky or they are just made for pure aesthetics . Wish a practical and functional bumper was on the market. Something like the project Superduty one.

My front bumper was bought to house a winch, but the added protection is a bonus. The added weight has been a steering nightmare now just being remedied. I'm looking for a rear mostly to mount swing aways for a spare and fuel. The bumpers seem to be secondary to the accessories. :sombrero:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
For all us Full Size folks make sure to look at Aluminess, they make some amazing light weight but super strong bumpers.
I had one on my Sportmobile front & rear and let me tell you I was able to winch my 11,000lb rig off the front bumper without a worry.
The rear bumper had really cool storage and held a 35in Nitto Trail Grappler without an issue on 1 swingout and a big ol' box full of stuff on the other side.
http://www.aluminess.com

Yeah they are not cheap but that is part of what happens when you think about saving the weight but have it be well engineered.
And they are a great company that uses their product also.

Now if only I could get them to make something for my 70 Burb :)

blakeape

Adventurer
I built my front bumper after a rock tumbled off a hillside in a construction zone and took out my bumper, intercooler, radiator, A/C condenser, fan, and fan clutch. That left me dead in the water for 2 days laying in the rain and snow fixing my truck 500 miles from home. My bumper includes tow points, front end protection, a 12k Warn winch (that saved my butt last weekend when both my driveline yokes broke) and a place to mount a fog and driving lights. Plus I think it looks pretty cool. There is a lot of wild life where I live and I feel naked and vulnerable driving a vehicle with a stock bumper.
dodgebumpers003.jpg
PA200008.jpg
It is the same truck, just got some love and a paint job.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The protection factor and possibly the winch factor alone are good enough for me. I imagine being far away from, well anything and crunching into...say maybe a rock in a construction zone for instance? Stock bumper = smoked rad and likely worse. Aftermarket bumper = far better off.

I have see people hit deer around here, and destroy their whole front end, peel the plastic "bumpers" right off, rad done etc. With a nice solid steel bumper and a grille guard, they would be headed for the car-wash and Bambi on the way to deer heaven. For me it is about protection, useability (winch) and function. If it looks good, great.

The cons are weight, but that should be taken into account before you slap on 250# of steel.

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
As you say: "it depends". I currently live in the middle of Sydney and am surrounded by pristine 4WDs with shiny bull bars. The sheer number of urban bull bars recently prompted "them" (the shadow men, the gray people, them that have no names) to try and ban them. Fortunately they failed because for most country folk who do a lots of dirt road (or even highway) driving they are the first thing people put on along with decent lights. I do agree with a part of their campaign though (don't put them on a city-only car).

I have run into a few chaps on a trips around the traps who proudly tell everyone who'll listen to them that bull bars (or roo bars as we often refer to them) are not required, and most people just smile and nod their heads, and then roll their eyes. The people who say it also tend to be either city folk or foreigners. I grew up in the bush and have too many memories of incidents like these (photos sourced from the Internet in a 3min search):

View attachment 101057View attachment 101058View attachment 101059

It one of those things for me - when you actually need it, it is simply too late to put it on... However, from experience I would only consider reputable brand steel bullbars. Alloy ones are basically for low speed dings and mounting stuff to (IMNSHO).

Will Riggs

Observer
I needed a place to mount a winch and we have various wildlife like deer once you're outside the city, the security when wheeling is a major plus.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Bumper?

Front bumper; Animal strikes, some impact protection, step for maintenance, winch mounting, approach angle increase, brush guard, platform for additional lighting are my reasons for front WARN bumper.

Knowing well the ill effect of putting something heavy way out in front of the front axle/steering would change the vehicles balance, handling and stopping distance I used GM factory up-fitter manuals to keep CG and axle loads at or very close to factory design. The additional expense of tweaking after install related to the bumpers/winches is always a consideration, can I do it or do I have to have some shop do it?

Rear bumper; Impact resistance, better ground clearance, shackle mount points, and help bring the front bumper/winch install back into harmony with the vehicles original design.

1999 k2500 Burb 011.JPG1999 k2500 Burb 013.jpg

keezer37

Explorer
I recall someone posting pics of his newer model Tacoma after a dear strike. As I remember it, the ARB bumper looked pretty good still. Problem was, it was about a third of the way in the engine compartment. And I do believe, the truck was still totaled.
I think any critter big enough not to roll under a modestly lifted truck, is gonna be heavy enough to do damage regardless. If not to the bumper, what is directly behind it.
I got mine because my insurer covered the cost after I destroyed the plastic et al. I don't think it will save your truck but may save your wallet from minor damage repairs that the OE bumper would not withstand and be within your insurance deductible.

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
I got my bumper mainly for the front tow points, but second added approach. Because with only my stock bumper and air dam she sat low. I have had to get pulled out a couple of times and the bumper worked great. Not mentioan it looks cool. May add some sort of pre runner hoop, stinger someday but I'm good with my light bar. Also if I want to add a winch I can pretty easily. I probably do a rear one some day too.

Attachments

• baby jeep 2.jpg
    baby jeep 2.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 80
  • new bumper 2.jpg
    new bumper 2.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 79
  • new bumper 1`.jpg
    new bumper 1`.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 75

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
I think any critter big enough not to roll under a modestly lifted truck, is gonna be heavy enough to do damage regardless. If not to the bumper, what is directly behind it.

I agree, and they don't cover all situations. Many years ago my high school industrial arts teacher ran over a wombat in a road car he had just finished restoring, and it damned near ripped the front axle off (like hitting a slightly malleable rock at 90km/hr) as it went under the vehicle and launched him skyward. His next car restoration was an MG and he took the legs out from under a cow and the cow joined him in the cabin which didn't do him any favours.

In general though, if it stops the engine moving rearwards in a big collision and impinging on the driver (personal experience with a head on vehicle smash that I never want to repeat), or discourages the deer/cow/'roo from rolling over the bonnet then I'd call that a win even if the car doesn't.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
-I've been run into 2 times in parking lots, with zero damage
-I've been rear-ended 3 times in the last year with zero damage
-I've pulled out stumps on our land with the tow points
-Just mounted a winch with very little fuss on it.
-Been recovered in deep sand with recovery points.
-Holds my pair of hella 500 lights
-Great spot for tools on the wings when I'm doing maintenence on the front end of the jeep.
-Perfect spot for children to stand (i have 3), and for beers to wait to be consumed. :)
-Not to mention how well protected my cooling system is from major damage in a moderate impact with a car/rock/tree, etc...

I have no illusions that a 30-40mph crash will overload and crumple the bumper, but I also am a big fan of cannibalizing other vehicles
crumple zones whenever possible, which the added weight helps with, if the worst happens. (Hasn't in 16 years of driving, and I don't plan on losing that record, but you never know...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94