Heavy Duty Bumpers for Expedition/Overland Use: Practical Necessity or Superfluous an

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
^ wow, well done!

0.gif

Holland

Observer
Stonger aftermarket bumpers have always been worth it to me. A lot is based on how I typically use my vehicles which is some mild overland/camping with a mixture of moderate-difficult rockcrawling. If it was purely overland travel then my approach might be different but since i play in the rocks too it means it's worth it to have a little extra beef to keep things protected.

For me the necessary elements of good bumpers are:

1) Protection from rocks and other trail obstacles, but still maintain excellent approach and departure angles as much as possible.
2) some improved protection from animal strikes (but that's lower on list since most of the places I wheel rarely encounter animals)
3) winch mounting for the front bumper, as well as recovey points at the front and the rear.
4) location for things like spare tire, hilift, fuel. (I don't like any of those things taking up space inside the truck and rarely can a fit a big enough spare tire in a factory location)
5) Aesthetics. Maybe because I'm an artist for my day job I can't go purely for function when I consider bumpers or anything else on my trucks for that matter. It still needs to meet my functional requirements but I like it to look well designed. Sometimes that's a difficult balance and in the end function will always win out but as much as possible I try to make it look good too.

So from my experience that includes LOTS of rock bashing, a couple different deer that have moved on to a better place, and just the things you figure out over time that make life on trails more convenient I've settled with my current setup on my Tacoma (which happens to be a very similar setup to what I've had on my FJ40 and my FZJ80.

For the front I chose a TrailGear low profile bumper with light bar. This is the first tube style bumper Ive had. Aesthetically tube is not for everyone. But for me this bumper has been great and has met all my requirements. I particularly like the high clearance it offers and it has given excellent protection so far.

_MG_7836.jpg

_MG_7837.jpg

_MG_7834.jpg

For the rear bumper there wasn't anything on the market that met all of what I wanted without a ridiculous pricetag. So I built my own. It happened in phases but I finally completed it over the weekend and gotta say I'm happy with the results.

Started out as a stronger than stock simple bumper that improved clearance, included a reciever hitch so I could tow my trailer and some lower bedside protection.
_MG_0154.jpg

_MG_0152.jpg

_MG_0159.jpg

it still needed a tire carrier so I could carry a fullsize spare that didn't take up bed space. So I built that and added a place for my hilift jack.
_MG_5883.jpg

_MG_5900.jpg

_MG_7805.jpg

_MG_7897.jpg

_MG_7811.jpg

Then I still needed a place for extra fuel/water, and some rear aux lighting. I finally finished that part of it this past weekend with a second swingout. It now has what I need.
_MG_0249.jpg

_MG_0258.jpg

_MG_0262.jpg

Both of these bumpers have taken some solid abuse. Without question the factory bumpers would have been destroyed by now and I'm sure there would be other damage to the truck as a result. So from my perspective in answer to the original question of the thread, heavy duty bumpers are a practical necessity with nothing superfluous about it.

I have to say that I have never liked that style of bumper ever until now. Super phenomenal.

The Fleckster

Custom bumpers don't have to be expensive, why not try a little bit of electrical conduit from your local home improvement center?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpxGDHvm1n0

Makes me laugh every time I see it! Especially the part where he says "Nothing wrong with it!"

WOW are you kidding me? Dude i laughed pretty hard, but also sad to see people that are so clueless in our society. Some poor shopping cart is missing its tubework at the Safeway. Its waxed daily cause the wax from yesterday faded overnight and dripped off its so slippery..... The shovels so you can get other people unstuck..... The trail rated badge....... Its got the owners manual at 100,000 miles cause most just rot by that mileage...... Its got the mercedes key...******...... They must smoke some wacky tabackee up there in Staton Island, thoes tires go anyway....sentance was truncated. should have left the rest thoes tires go anywhere at the local mall, but the painted stock wheels to give it that look..... Oh i cant go on anymore my eyes, my eyes. I gotta go get a plane ticket to fly in and buy this if someone else still has not beat me to it.

I think a good prank call is in order to "Buy" this with a recorded conversation. I can see that being a viral hit on Youtube etc :luxhello:

..... Hello such and such auto sales, ...Yes i am calling about one of your Black Ops edition ************ Jeeps i saw online. Dude i sooo want it. Is it still for sale? ..... Well that one sold to the cast member the "Situation" from Jersey shore, but we would be happy to make you one custom. ..... Oh right on, what is the wait time, Its gotta be a pretty long line....like a year. . Oh no sir we have production of that special package edition down to say a week turnaround.....On mine can i pay extra to have the back KC lights hooked up so the wires just don't hang? ..... 8).... Yes sir you could, that would be an upcharge of $200..... Good good i am on-board with that. Can you spec mine out with extra thick plastic floor mats for really heavy situations i might encounter on a mission?........Yes sir we can do that for an additional $89.95 each floor mat. ....Sweet you guys are the best, finally someone who will build me my dream offroad ************ expedition Jeep. Can you chrome the shocks though? I want the bad guys to see the bling when i jump the rig as i am speeding away from danger or bugging out from the zombies..... That will run...let me see where my figure is at, we just did that on Wesley Snipes personal edition....$289 each shock. ... Awesome....Winning......Oh Oh how about that owners manual, can you make a diamond plate hard bound edition of that so when i bust it out to read up on changing a flat tire my posse see's that i am so dope that i gots bling even in my glove box.....You got it Boss, add $499....ok ok cool, and how about a few years of the special "Daily" brand name wax you use on it..... Yours for the bargain add on of only $78.95 a can...... Dude this is the best day ever.....so we are up to like $50 ta 60 G's right cause I got 75 Grand to spend. What else can you suggest to put this thing over the top and make me the baddest baller hardcore player mother out there on the club scene? .... Well I am glad you asked cause we have been holding off on this one mod for someone very special to come along like you. Do you like gold plating and your name on the dash?...... Dude you read my mind....oh my god this is so destiny that i called you today.....

OK i could go on and on, but i will have to pick this up later if anyone is interested in my comedic genius drival....hahahahahha :Wow1: :safari-rig: :jumping::jumping::jumping: :hehe:

Last edited:

brushogger

Explorer
My Aluminess bumpers have already paid for themselves. On a recent Kiamichi trail trip we were caught in a rain storm which upped the trail rating considerably. Sliding into
ruts put each corner into the wall several times. Zero damage. If I would have still been running the stock plastic FJ bumpers, they would have been completely destroyed along with significant body damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Here is a perspective shared by Scott Brady in the article The Modern Explorer in the Spring 2013 issue of Overland Journal:

It is important for me to note that a heavy bumper, winch, etc. is absolutely not required for long-distance adventure travel. However, if it is your desire to incorporate remote dirt tracks, mud, and snow, then it is worth evaluating. As with any modification, accessory, or piece of equipment, it all comes at a a cost to available payload.

Cee-Jay

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I'll beat the dead horse!!! :)

Specifically for overlanding? Superfluous.

But can it come in handy in a variety of situations, not specific to overlanding? Of course. You can justify the aftermarket bumper in 101 ways. But, you can sill go on the same trips with your stock bumper and be just fine. Know what I mean?

For me, it's about cost vs function. I picked up a pair of Smittybuilt bumpers for $135. One was for a Mighty Max, one was for a TJ. I'll be modding them and putting them on in the next couple weeks. For me, part of the reason was that I installed a small (1") body lift. Since the bumpers bolt to the frame, they stayed an inch lower than the body and the gap looks goofy. I figure if I'm going to take the time to modify bumpers to get them back up to the body, I may as well modify beefier ones that offer better clearance for rock crawling and some brush protection up front, as well as less plastic to tear off the truck as an added bonus (no more bumper end caps).

Often, they are overkill...I don't want to add 100 lbs of anchor out past my axles. Terrible for handling, and that's 100 lbs less gear I can carry inside. I was careful to get bumpers that weren't boat anchors, but were still more robust than the stock units.

scottman

Observer
For all us Full Size folks make sure to look at Aluminess, they make some amazing light weight but super strong bumpers.
I had one on my Sportmobile front & rear and let me tell you I was able to winch my 11,000lb rig off the front bumper without a worry.
The rear bumper had really cool storage and held a 35in Nitto Trail Grappler without an issue on 1 swingout and a big ol' box full of stuff on the other side.
http://www.aluminess.com

Yeah they are not cheap but that is part of what happens when you think about saving the weight but have it be well engineered.
And they are a great company that uses their product also.

Now if only I could get them to make something for my 70 Burb :)

Second this, Aluminess.com makes some amazing bumpers and racks. Super sturdy and both front and back bumpers include additional storage options, all without the weight of steel.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Heavy duty bumpers, for me, are necessary. Not for overlanding... for every day!

Country road, late night, go around corner, hit deer... With a stock bumper, you're dead in the road. with something more substantial, you're just moving the carcass off the road to be nice to other drivers. (and there are larger animals than deer) I've killer deer with my Ranch Hand, and survived a tractor trailer pushing me back 3 feet.

Still need to improve as I want to add a winch on front, and spare tire swing out on the rear, only but heavy duty will do.

004-1.jpg

mowerman

Adventurer
MIne are on to reduce approach and departure angles, support my winch, provide secure jacking and recovery points and provide protection to the truck should I slide into a hill or tree that happened to jump out in front of me! :)
It is worth remembering that stock bumpers are also there to try to avoid damage to pedestrians as awell as provide a crumply bit when you hit someone else

craig333

Expedition Leader
Mine also makes working under the hood so much nicer. Theres also a downside. Level surfaces tend to collect "stuff" :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz