GMC Sierra 1500 Expedition Second Battery / Isolated Solar Setup

Smith

Setting up my rig for off-grid, multi-day expedition use. Looking for some comments/suggestions before final wiring:

- 100 Watt Panel or 2x60 Watt Panels? These will be tucked into the cap until base camp is setup, then placed out on a stand aimed at the big fire ball in the sky.
- 2GA or 4GA battery wiring?
- Isolator or Solenoid? Need some real-world opinions if you got 'em!
- I'm looking to self contain the expedition use to just the Cap, hence the weatherpack connector...any other thoughts on connectors? I was thinking maybe a 4-pin trailer connector?

Thanks for any help!!

Truck Setup:
- 06 Sierra 1500 4x4
- Factory-option second battery brace and battery installed.
- Already have a 10GA wire ran with loom from starter battery to rear of truck for original cap setup. Looking to upgrade!

Cap Setup:
- Leer Cab-Height Fiberglass Cap
- Added Roof Rails from an Explorer to accomodate a Thule Rack and Basket with 6 Lights, 4F 2R.
- Currently wired with a 10GA from starter battery. Initial setup was to see if I liked using it for camping. (turns out I love it :D )
- Fuse block attached to rear of Cap wired for:
- 2 Cig lighters
- CHMSL Power
- Inside LED Light

Box attached to the cap. Little messy, but this was just for the test phase.
1204112055.jpg

A quick schematic (evldave-style) of my proposed Isolated Camper Cap Solar Setup.
solarpoweredcapv2.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
2 60s will be easier to handle, and 20% more watts.

Solenoid.

The factory alternator to battery charging wire won't be either #2 or #4, so why bother going larger than that wire if both batteries are under the hood? The only reason to do so, is if you ever plan to jump start off the aux battery or tie them to run a winch - which a diode isolator won't do anyway.

Smith

I do have plans of adding a winch in the next year or so. I take it it's recommended to run a winch off of two batteries in parallel rather than just the auxiliary?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yea, both if you've got 'em and with the engine running.

For a winch, I'd probably go with 1/0 battery cables rather than #2 or #4. You can have cables made up at a welding supply house. As I recall, a Warn 8k can draw something like 250a max, so I'd go with a solenoid rated for 300a just to be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior