baja june 2012

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
hey guys im taking my fatherinlaw down to vist his house ,between todas santos and cabo ,km86,in june ,will be his last visit there as his health is not good ...km86 he is not bad really ,not a sad trip just life a trip ...will fly into LA and drive down in his rig ...will either be going with treetopflyer ,jared , or alone with Nick ,but wife threw me for a loop today ?she wants to drive down also ?what do you guys think ?when i was younger baja was my surfing playground ,have made the drive many times with buddies but bring the wife ?worried bout her not me ..we will most likely b line there take our time back ...what do you think if wife and my boy 14 join us ?dont mean to be freeky but would love all us driving down ,what a trip it could be ...also would love to meet any of you guys ,we have 5miles of beach on the pacific you are welcome to stay at south of todas santos ....or meet any of you on the way down down there or back also ...look forward to your imput ,,,jason ...:sombrero: UPDATE WILL BE TRAVELING WITH XJINTEX WILL BE LEAVING LA AREA ON JUNE 18 TELL JULY 2ND OF 2012 ....DRIVING A SILVERY BLUEISH GMC UTILITY SUV.....WE WONT BE CAMPING SO ANY COOL STOPS OR TOWNS TO STAY WOULD BE COOL ...

Last edited:

YukonRob

Adventurer
I'd say to bring her along if she is game - I say this without knowing what kind of traveller she is of course - my wife is the 'I'll fly down and meet you there' type.

Love to take you up on the beach offer - someday - just back from Las Animas two weeks ago and heading down for the 500 a few from now. Next trip after that is September (Tortoguas) and then the 1000 in November.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
ya thats what im thinking ,will bring them both ,amee and hunter (our boy )after talking to ben with equipt on our last trip i feel comfy ...he was just there in mainland mex where all the crazy stuff is ..baja seems more mellow ..hell cant be any worse than LA ..lol..there is plenty of room to camp etc ,so all expo peeps are welome to stay ..will have dates lined up this week ,,,jason ....

YukonRob

Adventurer
we-bee lined back from San Ignacio in a day - the biggest hassle was the Federale checkpoints, I think we counted 8. And waiting to cross at the border is never my idea of a swell time. But it's all worth it to me, wish I was heading south sooner rather than latter.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
thanks bro ...in the day we used to throw a victoria secrets or playboy in the dash ..lol..that made the checkpoints go faster ...8 is a lot ?:costumed-smiley-007

BajaRunner

Bandito
I am a frequent visitor to Baja, and have friends who drive to Cabo several times a year from San Diego. Its essentially the same Baja it always was. Its the wild west sort of speak. The media has done a good job on reporting all of the horrible things going on in Tijuana, but travel during the day and don't hang in TJ for too long and I'm sure the chances of getting into any trouble are slim to none.

You'll still have the chance of getting shaken down for mordida by the cops, but they're poor, and do whatever they can. I just drive the speed limit and never have issues. One area to watch for is Ciudad Constitution, its lately been really bad with the cops. There is a side street that runs parallel to the hwy-1 through town there and take that. Not to mention, you don't have a traffic light every block for 10 miles. : )

Id bring the wife and kid, but just know your surroundings and stay in safe places, don't bring all your expensive stuff or built up American-style rig and its oK. )

waterweber

Observer
We go down all the time from SD to just before Ensenada and have been a few times below there. In my opinion northern Baja is safer and better than it was before to narco violence. The people really want the tourists back and there is a severely limited tolerance for corruption. It used to be that the cops would shake us down from time to time for a bribe but I have not had a single problem in the last 3 years with that. Worst case is if you do get shaken down just be patient and follow them to the station to pay the ticket if you don't want to cave in to the bribe. Most of the time they will just let you go if you don't seem like an easy target. I have never had any issues with Federales at checkpoints. Just be respectful and let them do their thing. It doesn't hurt to offer them a cold Coke from your cooler though.
I follow these rules and have been fine:
1. Dont stop in Tijuana. No reason to really in my opinion.
2. Drive the speed limit and keep your eyes peeled for stop signs and stuff.
3. Dont drive at night.
4. Dont drive anything flashy, try to keep a low profile.
5. Its Mexico and you are now on Mexico time. Dont be in a rush and dont have too tight of an itinerary.
I would say do it but let the wife know that it may be a bit of an adventure and that you may need to roll with the punches. 99.9% chance that you will have no issues though.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
thanks guys ,it been a while sence i have driven down and am looking forward to it ,rodger xjintex is joining me so jazzed to have another drive ...

YukonRob

Adventurer
Just back from a quick weekend trip in support of the race. No problema. The most interesting thing was when a local offered, nearly insisted, that he could show me the 'fast way' to the border crossing (I was driving solo). I told him I had my amigos a few cars behind, and he promptly gave up and vanished. I wonder where I would have ended up! So, like always, just use common sense and it will all be good. Had a great dinner at El Palomar as usual.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
Just back from a quick weekend trip in support of the race. No problema. The most interesting thing was when a local offered, nearly insisted, that he could show me the 'fast way' to the border crossing (I was driving solo). I told him I had my amigos a few cars behind, and he promptly gave up and vanished. I wonder where I would have ended up! So, like always, just use common sense and it will all be good. Had a great dinner at El Palomar as usual.
thanks for the report ,it has always been get past TJ quick ...love the locals and ready for some real Mexican food ,tex mex is for the birds ....j El Palomar sounds so familiar ? and like i saud anyone traveling but we have lots of room on the beach in front of the house ....would love to have a cervesa with ya guys ...j

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
thanks for the report ,it has always been get past TJ quick ...love the locals and ready for some real Mexican food ,tex mex is for the birds . El Palomar sounds so familiar ? and like i said anyone traveling , we have lots of room on the beach in front of the house ....would love to have a cervesa with ya guys ...j

Wiley

Adventurer
Just got to Cabo seems the checkpoints are less often and more relaxed than the last time i went through baja last March...probably the difference from spring break in March vs june, also did my travelling on weekdays so that may have something to do with it. Travel was a piece of cake, same as previous time. I too read about ciudad constitution before but have not had a prblem either time going through, and have had cops drive next to me, so I wonder how much of it is just more hype. Lots of stop signs, so yeah if you blast through youll get screwed...but like everything else Baja is great, just use your head and be safre, you guys will have a great trip.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
Just got to Cabo seems the checkpoints are less often and more relaxed than the last time i went through baja last March...probably the difference from spring break in March vs june, also did my travelling on weekdays so that may have something to do with it. Travel was a piece of cake, same as previous time. I too read about ciudad constitution before but have not had a prblem either time going through, and have had cops drive next to me, so I wonder how much of it is just more hype. Lots of stop signs, so yeah if you blast through youll get screwed...but like everything else Baja is great, just use your head and be safre, you guys will have a great trip.
thanks so much wiley ,we leave sunday to LA then drive from there ..pretty jazzed ...will try to post up when we are there mabye roger and i will meet ya for a cerveza ? thanks angin ....if driving by we have big wooden gates at around km86 ..there is a mile long driveway ,if gates are open come on in ....jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles