Questions on spring over or under axle?

DiscoCO

Observer
I need some opinions on aesthetics as well as functionality for my M101 CDN. I finally got around to swapping the axle and springs. The old cobbled axle was a 4" drop with springs under the axle that was too wide and looked something like this:

CHA_2232.jpg

CHA_2233.jpg

CHA_2237.jpg

I purchased a straight axle several inches shorter in length to bring the wheels back in under the wheel wells (probably could have gone 1-2 inches narrower too) and moved the springs over the axle something like this:

CHA_2834.jpg

CHA_2830.jpg

CHA_2832.jpg

CHA_2826.jpg

My questions are:
1. Does the trailer sit too high? Will towing with the nose down be an issue?
2. Should I consider moving the springs under the axle? (obviously having to move the spring seats :mad:)
3. While this added height gains me quite a bit of ground clearance it hinders access to the trailer tub. Will this eventually become an annoyance?
4. Should I leave well enough alone and just enjoy my trailer?!?!

Thanks for any thoughts!

TacoDell

Adventurer
My questions are:

1. Does the trailer sit too high? Will towing with the nose down be an issue?
It does IMO... better the tongue somewhat low, then too high... level would be preferable

2. Should I consider moving the springs under the axle? (obviously having to move the spring seats :mad:)
If it were mine, I would

3. While this added height gains me quite a bit of ground clearance it hinders access to the trailer tub. Will this eventually become an annoyance?
Yes, IMO

4. Should I leave well enough alone and just enjoy my trailer?!?!
That depends on you
and if #3 does prove to be a reality for you

the axle looks to be over rated for such light trailer
especially having the arched axle tube
yours seems more like an axle one might use on tandem axle trailers carrying 12K loads

might be that the outside edges of your tires could wear prematurely because of the axle's pre-load

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I think it looks fine, I would have used a straight tube axle not a pre load.
The trailer should sit level with a load in it,
You could unbolt the axle and try it on top of the springs to see how it sits.
Then go from there.

Trailer looks great with your disco!

DiscoCO

Observer
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I may take Mark's advice and try the axle on top of the springs to see what it looks like then possibly move the seats. Bottom line is I just need to use it! Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles