Camera Bags

ssssnake529

Explorer
I've owned more than a dozen camera bags over the years.

I currently shoot with a micro 4/3 system, so I tend to go for smaller bags now than I used to.

Here's what I use currently:

Mountainsmith small zoom bag: Holds camera body, and 3 small prime lenses. Perfect for backpacking, skiing, etc. I use a couple of carabiners to attach it to my pack strap. Slide it down the strap, and it stays out of my way. If I need to access the bag, I just slide it up the strap.

http://www.mountainsmith.com/produc...tegoryId=13&subCategoryId=12&subCategory2Id=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPfSbEvZAY

Saddleback leather small gadget bag.
Nice looking, small, compact, comfortable to carry all day. Durable.

Holds the camera body, a couple of small prime lenses, and a couple of larger lenses. Perfect for a full day walking around the city taking pictures. Great travel camera bag.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Gadget-Bag?sc=8&category=1288

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DG4a8FEiUU

InCase Sling Pack
This is a big bag that will hold a ton of micro 4/3 kit, including a big zoom lens. Very comfortable to carry, easy to access. This will hold a big zoom, a camera body, and a few other lenses or accessories. If I need to carry a big zoom lens, this is my bag of choice.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/sling-pack-cl58032

ywen

Explorer
I used a lowepro 110 AW for my recent trip out west.. Fit an Olympus EPL-1. Olympus 14-150 zoom and a 20mm prime. Entire package weighs about as much as a 5D with 50mm lens...

No brainer for me on which camera I'll take.

LPRZ110.JPG

Honu

lost on the mainland
I think I have about 15 or so bags ? but I do photography for a living :) and have been at it a long time I agree they vary on the job !
when I lived on Maui I shot underwater for 15 years my main bag was a backpack or a cooler
I shot interior Architecture for some time and also did a lot of resort style work my bag was depending on job sometimes small sometimes big on wheels
my interior arch gear was a SUV full of hard cases :) my wedding gear was either a rolling bag (big wedding) or belt setup smaller weddings (Kinesis)
I am shooting less these days and doing more post production for others but I use a 1510 for work here so I can lock it up securely a couple other pelican cases I quit using since I dont shoot huge jobs anymore and I use them for camping ;)

a few thoughts on the coleman cooler as a bag or a bag protector you can just drop your current bag into
offers great stealth :) most people dont steal food and coolers at the beach out of the back of cars etc.. they tend to just leave them alone !
great sand dirt protection since its solid and opens up top ! gives you a place to stand on and sit on change lens etc. if you need to the coleman ones with wheels roll even on sand somewhat :) and very well on most other surfaces ! can keep your gear a bit cooler on hot days
really a small one for my M4/3 gear in our rig might be just the ticket ! use a lunch size one and chances are it will never be looked at as GEAR !! then again I usually have 3-4 other pelican cases :) ahhaahahah
but for shorter day trips etc.. really they are a great option
when shooting underwater was very common to see them on the boat !! store your gear and fill it up use it to rinse the gear etc..

bajasurf

Explorer
Honu, I have been using a small Coleman cooler as extra protection from dirt, sand, rain and theft for years. Have the same cooler I bought in 1978 but then it was used for ice and a 6 pack of refreshments. A surf photographer friend of mine would put all his camera gear in a green samsonite suitcase that looked like it was ready to fall apart and then tie it together with rope. Baggage handlers never bothered to look inside. 15 years on Maui!!! I surfed Honolua Bay in the early 1960´s. Spent quality time at the old Pioneer Inn and The Whales Tale across the way from the Banyan Tree. Lost in the mainland I am sure you are.

Honu

lost on the mainland
is it a metal one or a plastic :)
I remember our old metal one was so rusted from living next to salt water it was a mess :) but the inside was OK :)

yeah I miss the islands
I was born in 63 but early life we spent time on the big island and some on Oahu but never Maui ? not sure why guess my dad loved the big island :)
I have some great shots from the earlier days then late 40s 50s when he was on Oahu when I was their in the early 80s fun to compare those shots I do remember being a kid though and loving Xmas on Oahu cause Santa would come around in the fire engine and throw out candy :)
these days no direct family in the islands anymore :( my cuz moved off island and now his main home is in the Canary islands and he says its a lot like Hawaii was 50 years ago !!! so I have to get over to visit him check it out !!!!
I went to school on the mainland but back every summer to visit then when done moved back again so to me the islands are still home really
you every been back much since then to Maui ? if not SHOCK man I can say I am 48 and I remember in my 20s what it was like !!! when I left about 43 years old it had radically changed ! I turned 30 living on Lanai :) I loved that Island very laid back for sure !!!! I think I was born about 50 years to late in the way I like things etc.. :)

would have loved to seeing Honolua in the 60s :) you ever have any old pics from then ? if so post em up if ya can :)

all the Land above Honolua and above Kapalua I did photos for when they were selling it :(
had some great times and memories I miss it :( sniff sniff !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles