The $6 Hood Blackout...

juicebox

Adventurer
I have been wondering how much of a difference these make and I wasn't quite ready to bite the bullet, so I just got a can of Plasti-dip.

I was really rushed, I just got in my truck, got a basic idea of how far I wanted it to come down, masked it off and went to town. It turned out about how I expected, I think if I were to do it in the long run I'd just end up doing the $80 vinyl deal. It is a good way to do it temporarily on the cheap, especially if you are on the fence about it.

Anyway, here is a bad iPhone pic.

95278cab.jpg

It's not as far down as the vinyl, like I said, I had an hour to spare so I was really rushed, I just eyeballed the whole thing. It looks a little splotchy in the pic because it was about 45 seconds after I had put a coat on. That was probably the 5th coat and I have about 1/4 can left. Anyway, just thought I'd share my little project... :)

It comes off quick and easy too.

Last edited:

corax

Explorer
That looks pretty good. I never knew Plasti-Dip would come off so easy like that - how is supposed to hold up long term? Have you heard if it would it last a few months or a few years?

Tbird

Observer
Great idea...and the video of the removal seals the deal. I'm gonna do this to my Tacoma sport scoop hood (blinding!!!) to see if I like it. If I do I'll remove it and go with a vinyl wrap.

Thanks for posting.

t4rman

Adventurer
Spraying my hood like that would make me nervous. I'm guessing the chemistry going on won't allow the plastidip to adhere to the factory paint? It looks great though. If I can be sure it will come off I'll paint some of my hood.

juicebox

Adventurer
That looks pretty good. I never knew Plasti-Dip would come off so easy like that - how is supposed to hold up long term? Have you heard if it would it last a few months or a few years?
I think it will hold up for a while, but I think I might take it off in a couple months. I have heard someone say it got brittle and was a little bit more difficult to take off, but they didn't say how long exactly. I've read about people plasti-dipping their whole car and just about all of them take it off after 6-9 months, and they say it was easy.

juicebox

Adventurer
Great idea...and the video of the removal seals the deal. I'm gonna do this to my Tacoma sport scoop hood (blinding!!!) to see if I like it. If I do I'll remove it and go with a vinyl wrap.

Thanks for posting.
One problem I had that others could learn from; I waited just a little too long to take the masking tape off. It worked out fine, but I really had to be careful or else the whole thing would come up.

robert

Expedition Leader
A lot of the kids on tacomaworld have plasti-dipped all sorts of stuff on their trucks including the wheels. There are plenty of threads over there that'll give you all the info you need.

<--- No plasti-seal on my truck. :)

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I have heard someone say it got brittle and was a little bit more difficult to take off, but they didn't say how long exactly. I've read about people plasti-dipping their whole car and just about all of them take it off after 6-9 months, and they say it was easy.

Even if it gets brittle, a power washer should make quick work of it, once you get an edge exposed.

Sempertoy

Explorer
This very helpful. I have been toying with the idea of a hood blackout because my paint is very faded, and I had almost settled on spray painting it. This is a much better alternative and will be what I try first.

juicebox

Adventurer
Spraying my hood like that would make me nervous. I'm guessing the chemistry going on won't allow the plastidip to adhere to the factory paint? It looks great though. If I can be sure it will come off I'll paint some of my hood.

I don't see why it wouldn't come off easily. It is difficult to get off if it's not sprayed on thick enough. I would imagine that plasti-dip would be difficult to get off of a porous surface, but smooth car paint would be no problem.

corax

Explorer
I might try this as a temporary coating on my rocker panels for the next rally weekend - the mix of high speed gravel & dirt does a good job of peppering the paint

Rightovercrest

I was looking for a way to clean up my girlfriend's Civic hubcaps a few months ago after I saw the price for replacements and grabbed the can of Plastidip thinking it would adhere to the hubcaps better than spray paint. Plus I already had some in the garage. So far they still look good and people actually compliment her custom hubcaps. :) It has held up well under the heat generated from braking.

I have not attempted to remove it and have no desire to since it filled in all of the curb rash nicely.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I did mine yesterday in about 40 minutes. I am happy with the result but would like to go over it a few more times for it to be complete. In any case, it looks much better than it did before. Thanks again for the idea.

5a243567.jpg

Ric

Adventurer
Plasti-Dip ROCKS, I done my grill last summer and its still holding strong, and just today, I did my mirrors, sorry no pix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles