Reserving a campsite/RTT

JKJenn

Adventurer
I am new to camping/overland so this is probably a stupid question to you veterans. :)

It seems as though there are a fair amount of if first come first serve campsites on BLM and national forest lands. When travelling with a RTT, how do you "save" or reserve your site if you are not ready to make camp for the day or during a multi-day stay?

Thanks for your patience :)

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Are you talking about specific parks or just a camp site out on forest service lands in general? I don't think you can say you plan on taking a spot in the latter areas, but if it's a specific park, I imagine you just call the BLM or forest service office and arrange it that way, assuming they allow that.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Sorry, didn't word the question very clearly. I am not talking about the type of place where you make an actual reservation. I am talking about dispersed camping, not an official campground.

Xterabl

Adventurer
I think, what he means is: with a ground tent, you can just set the tent up at the site early in the day, then go about your business away from the area (hiking, fishing, etc.). The fact that your tent is set up is your "claim" to the camp site.
So, the question is, with a RTT, what do you do instead to stake your claim to a camp site?

JKJenn

Adventurer
I think, what he means is: with a ground tent, you can just set the tent up at the site early in the day, then go about your business away from the area (hiking, fishing, etc.). The fact that your tent is set up is your "claim" to the camp site.
So, the question is, with a RTT, what do you do instead to stake your claim to a camp site?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. thanks.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Take a small one-man tent, leave it on the site with a chair, etc. That's usually enough, as long as you pay for the site before it gets too late in the evening. YMMV...

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
leave a chair and some other items on the site....
once you paid and register (usually 2 min after you get your site) you are good to go...
Nobody will take your site..

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Two scenarios here...

Campsite first-come first-served...leave something substantial in the site, like a small tent and chair obviously placed. A friend and I were camping at a campground once, found a great site, got all set up (he had 25' trailer, so setup was no small feat)...found some ratty old pot on the table, thought someone had left it there from before...well apparently that was the guys way of 'reserving' the campground while he was up paying (odd, since we found the site, parked, went and paid and never saw him)...lesson: use something big and obvious to reserve your campsite.

Dispersed camping...same scenario, leave a small tent and a chair. I also have a laminated piece of paper saying 'This is an active campsite' or something like that that I can write the date on so people don't think it's an abandoned site. Of course, there's always the risk someone will walk off with your stuff :) In that case, just leave a handwritten note with your laminated paper "John, stopped by with the ammo and shotguns. Looks like you are out for a short hike. I'll stop back by a little later with the guys and we'll wait for you if you aren't back. Mike" or something like that - hard to steal something if you think his buddies are showing up with shotguns and ammo :)

JKJenn

Adventurer
Two scenarios here...

Campsite first-come first-served...leave something substantial in the site, like a small tent and chair obviously placed. A friend and I were camping at a campground once, found a great site, got all set up (he had 25' trailer, so setup was no small feat)...found some ratty old pot on the table, thought someone had left it there from before...well apparently that was the guys way of 'reserving' the campground while he was up paying (odd, since we found the site, parked, went and paid and never saw him)...lesson: use something big and obvious to reserve your campsite.

Dispersed camping...same scenario, leave a small tent and a chair. I also have a laminated piece of paper saying 'This is an active campsite' or something like that that I can write the date on so people don't think it's an abandoned site. Of course, there's always the risk someone will walk off with your stuff :) In that case, just leave a handwritten note with your laminated paper "John, stopped by with the ammo and shotguns. Looks like you are out for a short hike. I'll stop back by a little later with the guys and we'll wait for you if you aren't back. Mike" or something like that - hard to steal something if you think his buddies are showing up with shotguns and ammo :)

Great ideas. Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I especially like the laminated card idea.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
On some trips, we sleep in our rigs, and do as mentioned above.

Usually a chair and a cooler placed near the fire ring is good enough.

If it's a 'Pay' site, then there is usually a place to hang/stick the tag from the pay envelope, showing the site is occupied.

And at most of the BLM type sites I have used, they come by daily/every other day and mark the tag with your 'paid through' date.

We were in a hurry one time, and quickly set the cooler next to the picnic table and leaned our chairs (folded up) against a tree. (non pay dispersed site)

When we got back that evening, our cooler and chairs were off to the side, and a big tent set up.:snorkel:

The folks who arrived, thought that the people who 'had been there' forgot to pack everything:Wow1:

It was the primo sight, but we did manage to find another one nearby.

The folks who took it did offer to pull stakes and move, but we were OK with finding another site.

So, a relativley cheap chair and old beat up cooler, set up to look like the site is being used, has worked well for me.:elkgrin:

Haven't lost any gear yet, and if they were to be stolen, I would only be out about $5:coffeedrink:

upndown

Adventurer
The one with the biggest gun wins :Wow1: 2 pieces of rebar, crime scene tape.. Problem solved haha! With a Rtt i'm not to sure i'd want to stay around people who would move my belongings anyway!! C'mon who forgets to load up a cooler and chairs?:oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior