Pop top /elevating roof - anyone made their own??

paulnb57

Observer
Hi folks

Id like to build an elevating roof on a Land rover 110 anyone done it - the idea appears easy enough and manufacturers charge a mint for them....Id be interested to see what others have made - Im thinking side hinged a bit like the Dormobile but with an Aluminium roof...........

Regards

Paul

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I had a good friend in Vermont who had a 109 with one. The factory roof was removed, an aluminum frame about 3" tall installed and the roof reattached with hinges in the front. It opened to about 3-4 feet in the rear. Fabric sides and rear.
He died about 10 years ago or so and I don't know what became of his Land Rovers.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
One of the cheapest methods would be to buy a suitably sized roof box, the base of which can be fixed to your LR roof (both of which are cut out) to form the base of your pop top, and affix suitable fabric (such as curtain sided trailer material) between the base and the lifting top to form your weatherproof sides.

124976972.jpg

Curtain-Side-Semi-Trailer.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I had bought a Flippac a few years ago, and had planned to incorporate it into a 110 top, but never had a spare to play with. Eventually sold the Flippac, but it really doesn't seem too difficult- just not sure if there was a market here due to the limited number of 110s. The nice thing is it allows sleeping for four instead of two, and about 7' of headroom when deployed.

paulnb57

Observer
Nice idea with the roofbox, deffo thinking out of the box! Its the headroom that appeals to me most, Im of an age when getting dressed sitting down is such a pain.

I have two choices really, well perhaps three

One, A stand alone D110 with elevating roof, totally self contained prob with side awning, sleep in it...

Two, A D90 with a camping trailer (Sankey) and an Oztent.....

Three, A mixture of one and two........

RTTs are adfenite no!

Paul

gambrinus

Observer
I'm sure you could melt down a million paperclips and forge your own wheels if you wanted to, but the usual question of "WHY?" comes to mind. There's already a very well engineered , fairly priced, well tested etc product available for those wanting a "pop top / elevating roof" The Dormobile roof has been around the world more than a few times.. why waste your most precious belonging ( time ) on reinventing the wheel?

Gren_T

Adventurer
I've also looked into this, easy to do if your handy with a welder and know a sail maker or a company that repairs awnings, however there is a company based in north wales that advertises on Ebay who will convert a 110 to a pop top for about £1500 or so.

not sure of the name but a bit of searching will winkle them out.

regards
Gren

vitara

My Brother and I built our own rooftents (See my recent post ) and used a thin tent material. I would recomend going to see several pop top and a caravan centre. Clamping the material top and bottom is not an issue. The hard part is getting material to fold in and not billow out due to compression of the air in the vehicle.

Best of luck.

methadonepretty

This is exactly what I've been thinking of, the price some of the companies charge is ridiculous! I would love to see a build thread if you do decide to make your own pop top!

paulnb57

Observer
Thanks to all those who have so far replied to this discussion. I am of the opinion that most pop top/elevating roof conversions, although attractive, are way overpriced, and that is why I am cosidering building my own......keep your ideas coming folks, if it does happen, I will fully document it here.......

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles