sea kayak gear recommendations

irish_11

Explorer
I just purchased my first pair of sea kayaks (Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 17's) and I am looking for some gear recommendations/reviews. I have been canoeing for years and already have a nice PDF and some other gear but I am looking for what people like in the following categories:

• Paddle Float
  • Rescue Knife (preferably fixed blade and PDF mount)
  • Deck bag
  • Rescue/throw line
  • Footwear (my size 13's are a bit on the big side for the inside of the boat)

irish_11

Explorer
Knife

Based on a weeks worth of reading reviews I went with the NRS Pilot knife. The co-pilot was a runner up, but the handle was too small and I figured in an emergency situation underwater I wanted something with a nice positive grip to it. The other options were the McNett saturna, which had great reviews and a cheap price, but the sheath has a history of cracking and dropping the knife. Spyderco and Benchmade also make a series of rescue knives, but I would hate to lose one at that price point. The NRS Pilot only set me back $40.

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
Check your state laws. Whistle, and a signal device like a mirror or flare is MANDATORY, but like I said, check your state. Here in Texas a whistle and a signal device (I use a mirror), and I have a high intensity light if I go out at night. Nice boat your getting. We have had four Wilderness System yaks over the years. I like the Tsunami 160 with rudder, but money is short handed right now. I currently use a Hobie Adventure for my ocean adventures and open big water trips. You can paddle, pedal nd sail it. Don't forget a hand pump also sense the yak your getting is a SIK (Sit in kayak). A sponge is very helpful also, and you may want to think about a spray skirt and a storage cover for the cockpit. Good luck and have fun on the water but be safe first.

JJ

Treenail

Adventurer
Be careful about how you mount your knife on your PFD. Some Coasties or DNR water rangers will give you a ticket if you sew ANYTHING to a PFD. Modiying PFDs isn't allowed.

Spray skirt???

Neoprene booties work

Wide brim hat with some sort of flotation and maybe a lanyard to keep it at hand if you swamp

Paddle leash-can be made easy enough
Sunglasses
Floatation bags...I don't know what sort of bulkheads/floatation you have.

Learn how to wet exit and re-enter
Bilge pump like wa already mentioned

irish_11

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I picked up some gear last night too. I have a fox40 micro whistle that has served me well over the years. I will look into the mirror/signaling device, etc. I used the knife lashing tab on the PFD to attach the NRS Pilot it seems pretty solid. Last night I snagged a bilge pump, paddle float and rescue line w/ bag off Craigslist from a guy getting out of the sport. I'm looking for a sponge, if anyone has any that would like to reccomend? Here is what I have so far. I will post up some reviews down the road as to how things are holding up.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
As a sea kayak instructor, most of the gear on your list looks good. You probably already know that most of the "things" you should be taking with you ought to be in your head. Good judgement and common sense go a long way. If I were you, I'd look into modifying your throw-bag. They generally aren't all that useful for sea kayakers as one generally needs a solid and stable place from which to throw it. The short tow on the one end of it will be useful, and it's also good to have a long tow line (30'-ish) for longer distance rescue scenarios. Just tying a small loop at the end of the correct length with a carabiner would do the trick, or if you want to get fancy, slide a float on the line before you attach the carabiner so that it doesn't sink. Take a look at some of the tow systems from North Water...they should give you some ideas for how to work with what you already have.

In terms of your first list, if your boat has a small day hatch just behind the cockpit, I would use that instead of a deck bag. Personally I prefer as clean a deck as possible, map, pump, water, nothing else. It's all personal preference though. The more stuff you have on your deck, the harder it will become to perform rescues, and the more top-heavy your boat will be when you're not sitting in it.

Hope that helps,
West

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles