Toyo M-55

locrwln

Expedition Leader
spressomon said:
Yeah...but those thick, tough sidewalls are just the shnit for Nevada backroads ;-). I think the Toyo M/T's are over 70lbs each in 315. I might try the PC's next time around...I forgot to ask him about road hazard...Tim Buxton gave me a great deal on my MT/R's...and included road hazard for free! Plus Tim bought, last year, a high end Euro balancing machine that did a better job than the Road Force machine at Schwab and Big O.

Ok, I was just doing some checking and the 315's Procomp's are 63.4 lbs, which sounded like a lot until I looked at the 315 BFG AT's, 68 lbs.

So I guess the Procomps aren't as bad as I thought, great now I have another tire to look at...

Jack

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
FYI,
Just put BFG T/As on my '02 Tacoma. Previous set was Toyo M/Ts 265/75 they lasted for 29K miles, but probably had 2K left when I replaced them.
They never got as noisy as BFG M/Ts and balance was OK. Worked good offroad except for deep sand, too stiff for good footprint.
BX

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Stiff the Toyo MT is, I have to air-down very low to get them to flex, 8-9 psi on lighter vehicles.

BajaXplorer said:
FYI,
Just put BFG T/As on my '02 Tacoma. Previous set was Toyo M/Ts 265/75 they lasted for 29K miles, but probably had 2K left when I replaced them.
They never got as noisy as BFG M/Ts and balance was OK. Worked good offroad except for deep sand, too stiff for good footprint.
BX

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I have used G/Y MTR's and was very disappointed in their wet weather performance, in both 33 and 35" sizes. The vehicles they were mounted on were an 02 TJ and 03 Chevy Tahoe. The tires were very tough as the Tahoe saw extensive use in the northern NV backcountry (One paved road, the rest gravel). Given the terrain and weather they would not be my first choice for spring/fall/winter driving.

My father is a big fan of the Procomp A/T's. He has ran them for years and loved them. He has had them mounted under two different Dodge crewcab Cummins (03, 06). He once took much pleasure in bringing me two spares on an antelope hunt by Summit Lake. I had two BFG A/t's blowout on the same hunt. I had always been a BFG snob and he didn't let this go forgotten for some time. I guess I gave him a pretty hard time when he brought them home. He has ran them on beadlocked Walker Evans and factory wheels and both times they balanced well. He would use them again.

He just switched over to the Toyo M/T's and so far is pleased with them. I can't comment on the M55's, so I was staying quiet. Since people started commenting on the tires I do have experience with, I thought I would chime in.

For what it's worth, I just picked up a set of Maxxis Bighorn M/T's in 255/85 for my 80 series, so far I am very happy with that selection. Thanks Redline...

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
One other bonus for the procomps...they usually have a buy three get one free sale. It's usually advertised in some of the magazines.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Reviving this thread...

I have to admit that I'm considering buying another set of Toyo M55s. I was not wild about the tires when I had them as my mini review above explains... I'm fanatical about the 255/85R16 size, a tire size I have been running almost exclusively since about 1998 but the choices are so few and getting fewer in this arguably superior size. 265/75R16 are shorter than I prefer and 285s are wider than I prefer. I have some 255s that I like, but my interest in the M55 is to have a strong tire that is not as loud on the highway as a Maxxis Bighorn or BFG MT, but offers more traction than an all-season. I know there are a few choices out there (truly a few) and I have been considering them, hence looking at the M55 again. I really like the Toyo MT, very tough, not too loud on-highway for an MT (though still not as quiet as I would like for a several thousand mile trip). If they ever make the Toyo MT in a 255/85 (I'm confident they won't) I'll line up to buy two sets :)

Since my last experience with M55s a couple years ago they have since made the 255/85R16 size a three ply sidewall and a load-range-E tire. My set was 2-ply sidewall and load-range-D. Every 255/85 I have never seen or read about has been a 8-ply design. Toyo making this a 10-ply rated tire speaks to their commitment to the heavy-duty use this size M55 sees in commercial, light-truck service, but the tire is probably even heavier and stiffer. It also makes me think they will be making the tire a while longer.

Last edited:

jsmoriss

Explorer
Just thought I'd post my own opinion about the M-55s. I have the 285/75R16 10-ply and went out of my way to get them. I actually ordered them from the US (I'm in Montreal, Canada) and had them shipped to Champlain, NY. I then drove down and had to pay $20 of duty per tire, plus taxes, to import them. The reason I wanted the US model is they're pinned for studs, while the Canadian model is not. People around here didn't want to hear about drilling tires, so a pined tire was the only way to get studs. I also went through the trouble of hand-siping the tires, as I wrote about here:

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21865&highlight=hand+siping

The siping makes the tire grip better in all conditions. The design of the M-55 also appears to expel water very well. They clean well in snow too, and even parking on the street all winter, we haven't used a shovel once. I haven't had a chance to use them in mud yet, but Spring isn't too far away now... :)

Supposedly they wear really well, so I was afraid the rubber might be too hard for winter. The siping and studs probably help, but I've found them to have very good traction in all conditions. City slush and packed snow is really no problem. They're a little noisy on the highway though -- kind of like when you pass an 18-wheeler -- but it's rather subtle. I have a roof rack that contributes it's own level of noise though. :)

I used Innovative Balancing ceramic beads and the balance, tires, etc. are really smooth on the highway -- much smoother than my summer Toyo M/Ts (also a 10-ply in the same size). I'm running 8oz in both the M-55s and M/Ts, but may add another 1-2oz to the M/Ts next summer.

They have a bit of a retro look, so I paired them with some AR Mojave Teflon wheels...

20071222-091605-lx2-20522.jpg

js.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm glad you posted to this thread. The Toyo M55 is an interesting tire. I also like the looks of the Mojave teflon wheel and considered it myself in the past. Your statement about the sound of the tire being similar to that of a passing a semi-truck is right-on, and similar to how I have described it in the past.

Below are a couple of shots I took yesterday. The store didn't have an M55 in the same 255/85R16 size so I had to use a 235/85R16 for comparison this time.

Maxxis Bravo 761 AT 255/85R16 & Toyo M55 235/85R16. The M55 is not a super aggressive tire but look how much more void it has compared to this conservative Maxxis tire.

IMG_3609.jpg

Tread Close up of Toyo M55 235/85R16

IMG_3615.jpg

jsmoriss said:
Just thought I'd post my own opinion about the M-55s. I have the 285/75R16 10-ply and went out of my way to get them. I actually ordered them from the US (I'm in Montreal, Canada) and had them shipped to Champlain, NY. I then drove down and had to pay $20 of duty per tire, plus taxes, to import them. The reason I wanted the US model is they're pinned for studs, while the Canadian model is not. People around here didn't want to hear about drilling tires, so a pined tire was the only way to get studs. I also went through the trouble of hand-siping the tires, as I wrote about here:

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21865&highlight=hand+siping

The siping makes the tire grip better in all conditions. The design of the M-55 also appears to expel water very well. They clean well in snow too, and even parking on the street all winter, we haven't used a shovel once. I haven't had a chance to use them in mud yet, but Spring isn't too far away now... :)

Supposedly they wear really well, so I was afraid the rubber might be too hard for winter. The siping and studs probably help, but I've found them to have very good traction in all conditions. City slush and packed snow is really no problem. They're a little noisy on the highway though -- kind of like when you pass an 18-wheeler -- but it's rather subtle. I have a roof rack that contributes it's own level of noise though. :)

I used Innovative Balancing ceramic beads and the balance, tires, etc. are really smooth on the highway -- much smoother than my summer Toyo M/Ts (also a 10-ply in the same size). I'm running 8oz in both the M-55s and M/Ts, but may add another 1-2oz to the M/Ts next summer.

They have a bit of a retro look, so I paired them with some AR Mojave Teflon wheels...

20071222-091605-lx2-20522.jpg

js.

ashooter

Adventurer
Just adding this in case it helps somebody make their decision:

I ordered a set of M-55's in 255/85R16. The first 3 that arrived were the old load range "D" tires (which Toyo doesn't make anymore) and the last 2 were "E", so that set was a no-go anyway... However, when my tire guy called me up and asked if I wanted to come take a look at them when the first 3 arrived, I was surprised that they really don't look as aggressive in person as they do in photos on the 'net. I would classify them as a pretty middle-of-the-road "all terrain". Comparable to the BFG AT KO.

So, since the first 3 were "D" anyway, I had my tire guy send them all back and I ordered a set of Toyo M/T 255's.

Like Redline, I REALLY wanted to love the M-55. I was hoping they would be sort of a poor man's 8.25R16 XZL with a little better on-road performance, but they just didn't look like they would bite any better than my Bridgestone Revos do. Not that they looked like bad tires at all - just not as "off road" as I thought they would be. I think they'd kick a BFG AT's butt in the toughness dept, but if you want anything with more aggressive tread than that, the M-55 is not going to turn you on.

That said, if these M/T's wear out too fast for my liking, the M-55 is definitely going to be their replacement.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
hmmm. I really like the Toyo M-55's.
After having the cooper st's I have grown accustomed to a more mild all-terrain tire. I find that in just about any situation besides mud a simple all-terrain performs better for me.
I also love that on the 100-1000 mile trip to the trail it performs SO much better than a mud terrain.

What I want out of my next tire is something stronger than the cooper st. (I now offroad for a living basically. I put 100-200 offroad miles on per work day. My fellow employees use every type of tire under the sun and all get flats about once a week. I want to get as FEW as possible)
The M-55's looks are great to me. I like the understated design.

So, if the Toyo's in either mud terrain or m55 form cost sometimes $75 or more than the comparable BFG KM2 or AT is it really worth that much more...
In other words, will I get THAT many less flats, that many MORE miles, or have that much BETTER traction???

If the m55 or toyo mt is really as strong as a BFG Baja terrain tire. (which can handle a shot from a .22 bullet), as grippy as a soft compound tire, and as long lasting as a commercial traction tire. Then I guess its the one for me!

What say you?

jim65wagon

Not to put a damper on the AT vs MT (I still prefer the AT also); but if the choice is only between the Toyo MT vs M55, I'd go with the MT. From what I've read it's quiet for an MT, tough and (unless you've priced the M55 from someplace I haven't) it's slightly cheaper than the M55.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
jim65wagon said:
Not to put a damper on the AT vs MT (I still prefer the AT also); but if the choice is only between the Toyo MT vs M55, I'd go with the MT. From what I've read it's quiet for an MT, tough and (unless you've priced the M55 from someplace I haven't) it's slightly cheaper than the M55.

Jim,
I haven't found a place online that really shows prices for the m55. I'm not concerned about the noise of the tread that much. (my bfg MT's are so beat, out of balance and chunked that I don't think anything could make more noise. :mad: )

But, if I assume that tread noise is representative of rolling resistance then I am concerned with it. I don't know if that's a sound assumption.

I'm not an efficiency freak... but :peepwall: I do hate to have MT's of any sort when most of my driving is on highways and fuel cost is something that I'm very conscious of. I like being able to save my horrible gas mileage for the offroad bits of a long road trip.
Anyone ever done a check of rolling resistance for tires? There is the obvious which applies to Mountain Bike tires. More aggressive = more effort to move them. Less aggressive = less effort to roll, and in some conditions less grip of course.

I sure wish I could find that $116 price on Cooper ST's I found way back. That would be a great tire for a long road trip of mixed off and offroad driving. The only problem is that I don't think those are up to day in and day out of aired down wheeling on these sharp rocks in AZ. (which is what my current days entail) My old ones got really beat up really fast.

I wish they made the BFG Commercial Traction TA in the 255 size. That would fit the bill well.

So, what was the pricing you had found on m55's?

jim65wagon

This is the first place I found that has both the MT and M55 for sale at the same time in the right size. Not much difference in price, really. When I was originally searching the M55 I was getting upwards of 300 bucks a tire!

I see the feature timed out, but click the link and search by tire size...

ashooter

Adventurer
Yeah, Treadepot.com is where I got my M/T's I think.

SOAZ, I know you're not a novice and you have a pretty good idea of what you are after, but I would really encourage you to try the Toyo M/T if you are airing down almost daily. If you really need to air down, you will definitely want a tire that's more aggressive than the M-55. The M-55 is really a street-biased AT type tire. If anything, it looks less aggressive to me than a BFG AT in person.

I've only used 2 kinds of mud terrains in my life. I had a set of 285/75R16 MTR's on a half-ton Chevy truck that I HATED for a variety of reasons, and now I have these 255 Toyo M/T's on my 'Cruiser, which I LOVE for a variety of reasons. They are really not noisy (with about 4000 miles on them so far), they handle well on the highway, and my (corrected for tire size) gas mileage is higher than it was with 265/75R16 Bridgestone Revos.

As far as toughness goes, the M/T is built like the M-55 on the inside EXCEPT that the M/T has the addition of two "nylon cap plies", which is what makes them so puncture resistant, unless I'm mistaken.

I really think the only benefit you will get from the M-55's is longer tread life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94