Toyo M-55

Zeep

Adventurer
I think I'd sacrifice some ride quality for the E tires just because they're 10 ply as opposed to 6 ply with the C rated tires. If you're going over sharp rocks and stuff that extra little bit of rubber could mean the difference between getting a flat or not.

I'm doing that now with the factory MTR's. The ride quality is terrible. I have no need for rock crawling abilities in northern Michigan.
I'm just looking for the added ground clearance, plus tread siping for snow & ice traction.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I have Erik.
Was trying to get it back on topic.
Shall I rephrase the question ? ? ?

"Anyone running the M-55 in size 255/85R16, recently ?"

Thanks for your help.

Erik N

Adventurer
"Anyone running the M-55 in size 255/85R16, recently ?"

Well, ashooter gave a pretty good review starting on pg 6, with several updates along the way. I posted another on pg. 10, again w/ a few updates over a year or 2.

As the tire has remained the same, what would change about the reviews?

Last edited:

bjm206

Adventurer
Anyone running the M-55 in size 255/85R16 ?

I have been running the M-55 in 255/85R16 for 4 years as a towing/long distance trail trip tire for my Excursion. On a heavy vehicle they work really well providing a good ride and traction everywhere except muddy conditions where they clog up fast. If you plan on going near mud think about having a second set of tires. I eventually bought a set of 35" BFG KM2s for this purpose. The M-55s have been very durable compared to the mud tires (this was the main reason I bought them). Be aware that at highway speed they produce a high pitched whine that while not as loud as a mud tire is annoying to some folks.

Erik N

Adventurer
I have been running the M-55 in 255/85R16 for 4 years as a towing/long distance trail trip tire for my Excursion. On a heavy vehicle they work really well providing a good ride and traction everywhere except muddy conditions where they clog up fast. If you plan on going near mud think about having a second set of tires. I eventually bought a set of 35" BFG KM2s for this purpose. The M-55s have been very durable compared to the mud tires (this was the main reason I bought them). Be aware that at highway speed they produce a high pitched whine that while not as loud as a mud tire is annoying to some folks.

Do you notice much sidewall "sway" on a heavy vehicle like that? While towing?

I notice some on my Burb when the pressures are too low, on the street. 85 series is a tall sidewall.

bjm206

Adventurer
If I air the M-55s down they will noticeably sway, but not like my previous mud tires (BFG KMs) in the same size. Aired up I do not notice any sway even when towing 10K Lbs. The sidewalls are very stiff. These tires probably do not work to well on a light vehicle

Erik N

Adventurer
If I air the M-55s down they will noticeably sway, but not like my previous mud tires (BFG KMs) in the same size. Aired up I do not notice any sway even when towing 10K Lbs. The sidewalls are very stiff. These tires probably do not work to well on a light vehicle

Yeah that makes sense. I have noticed w/ mine that at higher pressures the tires kind of "lock" themselves together. Probably what they were designed for in the first place...

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thank you very much for the reply.
That is very useful information.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Try again?

I've owned two sets of Toyo M55 tires and never really 'loved' them, but I'm occasionally still drawn to the idea of running a set. I like a good commercial traction tire (the S/T MAXX is nice), but would prefer a bit more void on the M55 outer lugs and center ribs.

Didn't keep or wear either set long enough before 1) wanting something with more void for my F350, then the 4Runner 2) needing a different size 3) the center tread ribs stone-guard is nice in theory, but also substantially reduces tread depth 4) they are expensive 5) Disliking the right pull/drift common to some Toyos (set #2 did this on the 4Runner) 6) add your points here...

There are compromises with this (any) design, but the old-style commercial look and performance still appeals, and on the right truck (like a heavy-duty pickup), they just seem like a good choice. Plus, overall I like the Les Schwab Tires chain, so for this type of tread from Les Schwab this is one of the few choices (more than and A/T, less than an M/T). Discount Tire offers many more tread options at very reasonable prices, but I want to buy from Schwab if I can, they offer better service where I travel most, which is an argument in favor of the M55.

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Courser-CT.aspx

The Mastercraft (Cooper) Courser C/T has my attention as well (also from Les Schwab), offering a bit more void, but likely not as rugged. The 'sister' tire to the Cooper S/T (not MAXX) which I ran and liked on the 4Runner years ago. There is a great old thread here on the S/T by Jim65Wagon, but little information 'out there' specifically about the C/T. The Courser C/T is an older design like the M55, but the sidewalls lack any real tread/reinforcement; the sidewalls on my old 255/85R16 S/T treads were notably soft, flexible, and appeared vulnerable.

In both designs the 275/70R18 is the size I'm considering for a new Dodge/Ram/Cummins. Even with the higher-void design, I'm guessing the Courser C/T seems a little quieter underway because the tone is likely lower, like that of the S/T, not as high-pitched as the M55.

Comments and theories welcomed.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
More...

A couple more data points.

The 275/70R18 Courser C/T is slightly narrower, both the section width and tread width, and has a "Q" speed rating. Sidewall and tread plies for the C/T are not listed on the Mastercraft site, but my guess is that the sidewalls are only 2-ply (I'm okay with this) and the tread is a 5-ply.

Toyo shares the more data in their printable online specs, and the 275/70R18 M55 size is available in both a "Q" and slower "N" speed rating. The "N" tire is listed as only a 4-ply tread (very surprising, but that's what it says), with a 2-ply sidewall. The "Q" tire that I'd prefer had a 6-ply tread with the a 2-ply sidewall. Both versions have 18.8/32" of tread and are very tall for the size, at 33.6 inches. Taller and deeper are positives for me. The "Q" version weighs three pounds more, 60 pounds.

Last edited:

Erik N

Adventurer
Disliking the right pull/drift common to some Toyos (set #2 did this on the 4Runner)

Hi Redline.

I remember reading that complaint of yours, or maybe it was ashooter that said it. IIRC, I thought it pertained only to the Toyo MT's, with their slanted tread pattern.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Hi Redline.

I remember reading that complaint of yours, or maybe it was ashooter that said it. IIRC, I thought it pertained only to the Toyo MT's, with their slanted tread pattern.

Yep, you're correct that was an issue on with both the Toyo M/T (a common problem) and the M55s I tired on the 4Runner several years ago.

I'm considering the M55 for a new Dodge/Ram, and Dodges historically had more issues with pulling with Toyo tires. However, I've added an offset ball joint on the Ram, increasing the caster on the right/front, so if any live-axle rig can handle these Toyos without a pulling issue this Ram truck should.

I've not forgotten the concern... :( The last set of Toyo M/Ts I had on my old F-350 just a couple years ago did pull to the right, and I dumped them in favor of Maxxis Bighorn tires.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm about to sell the M55s on my dually (255/85-16) and replace them with Toyo AT 2s in 235/85-16. I can't run the 255s without the sidewalls touching in the rear sets due to the weight of my camper. I'll sacrifice the inch or so height difference in order to get an extra inch of clearance between the duals. I also found the M55s wore down to the center stabilizer blocks much quicker than I would have liked, making them less than ideal in snow or rain. I have been running the AT 2s for over a year on my Jeep, and they still look brand new. I hope I get decent life out of them under the Dodge, but at less than 2/3s the cost of the M55s I'll be ok with a bit less tread life.

Redline, have you considered the new Toyo CT? They would get my vote if they came in 235/85-16. I believe they are available in 275/70-18?

http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/open-country-ct

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm about to sell the M55s on my dually (255/85-16) and replace them with Toyo AT 2s in 235/85-16. I can't run the 255s without the sidewalls touching in the rear sets due to the weight of my camper. I'll sacrifice the inch or so height difference in order to get an extra inch of clearance between the duals. I also found the M55s wore down to the center stabilizer blocks much quicker than I would have liked, making them less than ideal in snow or rain.

Those center blocks/stone guard are on of the things I don't like on the M55, reduces tread depth.

I have been running the AT 2s for over a year on my Jeep, and they still look brand new. I hope I get decent life out of them under the Dodge, but at less than 2/3s the cost of the M55s I'll be ok with a bit less tread life.

Yep, the AT II in 285/75R18 has my attention.

Redline, have you considered the new Toyo CT? They would get my vote if they came in 235/85-16. I believe they are available in 275/70-18?

http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/open-country-ct

After clicking on the link I was in love, and wondered when that tread cam out, today? Then realized I was on the Toyo Canadian site... Love the look of the tread, but unless I'm blind I don't see it on the U.S. Toyo site and had never seen that tire before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior