After having an extremely frustrating evening with Garmin Base camp.... I am wondering if it is even possible to do what I want. So, I turn to you whom have a better understanding with all this than I.
A little back ground...
So, I am headed down to Baja this weekend. I dont really need any Navigation to get where i am going as some of the people I am going with have been there before. But, I wanted to get a little better with trip planing and using a GPS. I pulled out my old trusty Etrex Vista CX only to find out my 24K topo maps for California and Nevada where erased at some point in the past (crap!). I really dont even use my Garmin GPS very much if any since I started using Backcountry Navigator. But, I cant find any good maps for Baja to bring into Back country navigator... I can create my route we are planning to take in Google Earth or Google Maps no problem. I can even import the KML file to my phone to use in Back country Navigator... But again no good maps to use. Just a grey screen with a line when I zoom in.
So.. I thought it was time to force myself to get better with my Garmin. I found some pretty good topo maps at http://cartografiagps.com/mape32/index.htm. They seemed better than the old LBMaps I have. Still they are no where near the sat imagery I have gotten used to with BC Navigator. But, if it works I will be happy enough for now.
So, I try and import the KML file I created in google to baseCamp to load into my Garmin. When I do this and load it, I get the message route is truncated. I can recreate the route in basecamp but it is really time consuming. I am also not able to load multiple maps onto my GPS. Unless I am doing it all wrong, I can only load the lBMaps, or the Cartografia GPS map, or say the Garmin topo 24K map set. But not everything at once to be able to select between them.
Any tips using what I have?
Also, what I want:
I have really held off on making a full switch over to apple ipad & Iphone because I like BC Navigator SO SO much. All of my home computers are Apple though. I would like to the following features:
- Something larger than my droid phone but smaller than an Ipad however the size and platform isnt as critical if I can get it to do what I want.
- I am initially thinking I should stick with the droid platform because I love the BC Navigator features and ability to use Sat imagery or topos if I want. However, I looked hard at the Lowrance Baja and then a Garmin Montana... Of those two the Montana is more appealing because the screen sizes are almost the same and it is overall a smaller package. But, again I am torn over my affection with BC Navigator... however, it is on my phone... So, I will still have it.
- I would like to be able to load maps for different areas for example 24K topo of parts of the US AND maps for Mexico AND maybe Sat imagery (my preference) for use. It would be great if they all worked together seamlessly, but it wouldnt be the end of the world if I had to go to a menu to choose the map background if the route I am following goes off the currently loaded map.
- I want to be able to load pre-determined routes I do using Google earth/maps
- I dont need turn by turn nav... but if it has it I wont complain.
- I want to be able to record my tracks and create waypoints.
I hope I am not rambling too much here.... Is there a way to make what I currently have work? Is there any decent Maps or Sat imagery I can load into Backcountry Navigator for use offline? If not, I will just load the topo I have for Mexico and same my tracks for use later. knowing what I want to do, what way should I be looking to go for hardware and software? Ipad, tablet, larger GPS unit????
Thanks for the help and advice. If you need more info, please let me know.