cheapest way to get new leaf springs for 03 tacoma

ywen

Explorer
My 03 tacoma has sagging rear leaf springs, leading to some sag when bed is moderately loaded, and it axle wraps quite often. Not looking to do any hardcore off roading, I'm just looking to restore oem level spring condition. What is the cheapest way to achieve that? Wheelers offer stock height spring packs for $450.. Is that the cheapest route? Given that the truck lives in the midwest rust belt, and the underside is indeed rusty, What other parts would I most likely need when swapping the springs? Do I order it together with the springs or would most shops have those parts available? Thanks.

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm going through the same thing right now. I've heard not-so-good things about those Wheeler's leafs. Mostly that they ride rough and don't handle weight that well. For whatever that's worth.

I'd like to go just OEM height as well, but I'm thinking of just going with an OME medium package. Only a slight lift and from my experience, a good ride.

But to swap springs, I'd just get new hardware (bolts, u-bolts, etc.).

ywen

Explorer
So you ordering from the yota dealer? Do u know much they run? Medium? R u saying yota offers various capcity leaf packs? Thx

deadbeat son

Explorer
So you ordering from the yota dealer? Do u know much they run? Medium? R u saying yota offers various capcity leaf packs? Thx

OME not OEM. OME = Old Man Emu. They provide a significant lift though.

You can have springs built to handle extra weight without a lift by someone like Alcan Spring.

CavTrooper

Observer
I just put an Old Man Emu lift on my 03 and love it. The ride is much better and a significant improvement over the TRD suspension that was on there. Is there something better? I am sure there is, but the price is right. I ordered my kit through wheelers and had a great experience though my rear leafs are Dakar instead of wheeler.

skrillah

Adventurer
I have the Wheelers 5-pack (1.5" lift over stock) and they perform very nicely. I've put about 15-20k miles on my set in about a year and they do great for what I use them for. I have a 3600lb Mastercraft speedboat that I drag around, along with endless work loads of mulch, firewood, camping/offroad trips, etc. Very big improvement in ride, towing/hauling and just day to day errands. Though, unloaded, they do ride rougher than stock but you'll get that with any aftermarket pack you get unless you consistently haul weight. After a years time, and all this, they have maintained their ride height and functionality. Even loaded down with a yard of mulch, the springs only sunk about an inch or two, basically leveling out the truck front/rear. These leafs are made by Alcan Spring Company.

I live in Indiana and truck is in pretty good shape (undercarriage wise). Though, when I completed my install, I replaced: U-bolts, front main eye bolts (I had to cut off the old ones, went with new greasable), new shackles and poly bushings. As I said, my truck wasn't bad but it was worth the $$ to have all new hardware. I recommend it, especially for the DIYer. I would also recommend getting the parts from Wheelers or the dealer you buy the springs from, most shops will likely have to go to the dealer for parts as they are likely too specialized for Napa or others. Not to mention, the parts will be beefier and made to handle the springs/lift. All in all from Wheelers, I paid about $1200 shipped for a complete suspension upgrade front and rear with hardware and assembly on the front struts. Took me about 5 hours to complete the work myself with a buddy. Not for a novice but if you have the right work area, tools, and understanding of how to turn a wrench, you could figure it out. You'll likely have to cut off some bolts so have a good cut-off wheel or sawzall handy.

No matter what you do, you'll see ride improvement over the factory or TRD packs. They really are junk. If you are looking for stock ride height or close to it, you can't really go wrong with the Wheelers. The OME springs were my second choice since they were cheaper but I didn't want a huge lift since gas mileage is a factor. Without first hand experience with the OME, its hard to say how they compare but in my experience, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles