Which Solar Panel kit to buy?

Pest

Adventurer
That looks to be pretty decent for the price.

As stated in your other thread, we got a 150w, 12v panel, and a MPPT charge controller from amsolar.com, but it was more expensive than the linked kit.

Keep in mind that with that charge controller, you have almost no room to expand (add another panel later if you need more power). Assuming you could get the full 85w out of the panel, you're looking at 7amps, and the controller only handles 10amps.

Good luck!

Frosty_1

Adventurer
I too picked up a 150w panel from AM Solar. I also got their mount kit and Morningstar MPPT controller. They have a new 100 watt panel that is really nice as well. I'd give them a call and see what they can put together for you...

dags

Adventurer
I too picked up a 150w panel from AM Solar. I also got their mount kit and Morningstar MPPT controller. They have a new 100 watt panel that is really nice as well. I'd give them a call and see what they can put together for you...

I guess i'm weighing up the cost of buying a a unit from AM solar vs UL-solar - is the additional money worth it?

dags

Adventurer
How important is the quality of the panel - Chinese made vs other location?

Which contoller should I get?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The panel's country of origin isn't that important. Most of them are just glass and epoxy sandwiches. Not that much difference between them.

The charge controller however, can make a big difference in the performance of the system. That charge controller in the UL-solar link above looks like a typical Chinese unit sold under lots of different "brand names" (in other words - "Here, put a decal on it with your company's name).

You can skimp on the solar panel, but you really shouldn't skimp on the charge controller.

timber

Adventurer
I have been running one of those 85 watt panels with a morningstar 10 amp controller to charge my house battery bank ( two 6 volt golf cart batterys) and it seems to do a very good job at maintaining them. My main load is my Engle fridge which is on 24/7 along with led lights in the flippac when camping along with the ham radio. When not camping it is my daily driver and its only 2 miles to work so the truck sits a lot , From friday to monday it may see less than an hour of engine run time and the house bank stays right up there at 12.6v resting after dark. So far With my current loads and battery capacity I am very happy with the whole setup. Panel is mounted flat on the top of my flippac on a 1" standoff for air flow with 2 locking quick release latches along with Anderson powerpoles so I can pull it off easy and move it around to track the sun when base camped for a few days.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yea, that's a decent kit. Free shipping is important - solar panels are kinda heavy. If it's out of state and you can avoid sales tax, it's an even better deal.

Morningstar charge controller - good stuff. Exactly the right size for that solar panel.

You won't add more solar panels with that charge controller, but that's usually not much of an issue with a mobile system. Generally, most rigs won't have room to add more anyway.

Only thing that bothers me, is that RV mounted panels are exposed to high winds, so I'd probably end up adding some heavy screws or bolts or backing plates or something to that mounting kit. You don't want the panel flexing (glass breaks when that happens) and you sure don't want it blowing off on the highway.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Consider a high quality panel - Used off road it can take a beating
Consider the best warranty - You plan to own it for a while
Consider how stable is the company - None of the above means much if the manufacturer is out of business
Consider size - Optimum sizing to fit the space available with ease of mounting and protection

Personaly I went with a Siemens panel and never needed to looked back. It is very ridgid and mounted to the roof. I regularly run it through the carwash and it has seen its share of bouncing through the desert.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'd call and see if they have (or can have at a request) the generation 3 version of that controller, if came out later last year and I'm not sure if all the older gen 2 are flushed out yet or not (I'm waiting to buy the 10amp version of that for my project, I don't need it yet so I'm letting some time pass). Differences and how to visually tell them apart:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/library/SunSaver Gen 3 Overview.pdf

That's good to know. Thanks.

I particularly like the 15v limit and the dead battery recovery feature.

Not sure if I like the automatic EQ though. I'll have to look at a manual and see what's actually going on there.

dags

Adventurer
any suggestions on a kit with a slighly higher standard of panel and controller - any vendor recommendations. I've been burned once buying a cheap fridge, the Edgstar, so willing to spend a bit more at the beginning to have trouble free operation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier