My build - work in progess

cold_n_wet

Cut work today and went to the local chandelry shop.

Found some OK hinges and a possible lock solution.

Expensive lock, but the bees knees.. bit cheaper than Southco.

IMAG0227_RS.jpg

Ok qualilty hinges.

IMAG0228_RS.jpg

Trial mounted a door today, happy with the results.

IMAG0226_RS.jpg

Three hings should hold. I got a new rivnut tool from MEM, great piece of kit. I have rivnuts in the pillar. I will use security bolts when fabrication is finished.

The door is resting on the door seal, good compression = hopefully weatherproof.

IMAG0230_RS.jpg

Roof bars, ground the welds down today, just a last finish, drill some holes and its off to powder coat

IMAG0231_RS.jpg

work continues...

Glen

biskit

Adventurer
Looks nice Glen :ylsmoke: for the door rubber cut at 45% and super glue, thats what upvc window seals usually are.:)

cold_n_wet

Ali for weight and ease of working with.

Thanks for the tip on the rubbers will give it a go, sounds logical why didnt I think of it.

cold_n_wet

Update:- On Monday the frame went to Powder coat together with the side panels. Norway shuts down for the Holidays on the 2nd of July, so the doors are going to be plain aluminium for the summer and will be painted after the vacation.

Lots of work done though, all doors fitted, plugged the holes which were drilled wrong.

Got a sample from Camlock for a door lock, but its not waterproof so I just ordered a bunch of Southco locks.

Camlocks compression lock.

IMG_3122_RS.jpg

IMG_3126_RS.jpg

Holes plugged - no more drilling holes in the frame late at night

IMG_3119_RS.jpg

IMG_3120_RS.jpg

Starting to mount piano hinges.

IMG_3116_RS.jpg

IMG_3117_RS.jpg

Still lots of work to do inside.

IMG_3118_RS.jpg

Parts buffed ready for poweder coat.

IMG_3115_RS.jpg

And the colour choice is RAL 7044, it is as close we could get to a Jotun colour called pale sand.

picto.jpg

I might get it "ready" for the Norwegian national gathering in 14 days we will see.

Glen

cold_n_wet

Back from powder coating, not happy with the job, but will live with as I need the trailer in 2 weeks.

IMAG0259_RS.jpg

IMAG0260_RS.jpg

IMAG0261_RS.jpg

IMAG0262_RS.jpg

Will start the main reconstruction next week, the weather forcast is bad, and I dont have a shop to work in.

Glen

Attachments

• IMAG0259_RS.jpg
    IMAG0259_RS.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 1

deepmud

Adventurer
so is it common to have trailers with no suspension? I realize you have to work within what is legal, not criticizing your choices, just wondering. The Sankey trailers I have seen online LOOK sturdy enough. Did the inspectors say why they thought it would only hold(or be safe with) 440 pounds/200kilos?

Looking at your fairly small double-axle trailer, maybe Norway just insists on super-overbuilt trailers.

Last edited:

cold_n_wet

Its the brakes they wont approve, as they are not on a approved list, then Sankeys can only be approved without brakes, but the funny thing if a visitor brings one in on vacation they can use it with brakes - figure that one ??

The local built trailers dont impress me they are made off thin sheet metal.

The sankeys are strong and can take alot of punishment

edit

Thenorwegian trailers have torstion rubber suspension, not the best for offroading, but ok for onroad use.

The axles are made by Knott- Avonride- Bradley (not sure who owns who know).

They are similar to the types made by German Alko.

G

Last edited:

cold_n_wet

Parts keep coming....

Wife is not happy and has gone to the cabin, now I can finally work on the trailer.

IMAG0284_RS.jpg

IMAG0289_RS.jpg

The locks arrived from Soutco today, I am happy with them.

IMAG0285_RS.jpg

IMAG0286_RS.jpg

Riveted the roof and sides on yesterday, 185 rivets happy I had the air riveter.

IMAG0287_RS.jpg

IMAG0288_RS.jpg

Got the body on the trailer today, and making up the shims for the door seals.

Need it in 10 days so lots to do.

Glen

deepmud

Adventurer
Its the brakes they wont approve, as they are not on a approved list, then Sankeys can only be approved without brakes, but the funny thing if a visitor brings one in on vacation they can use it with brakes - figure that one ??

The local built trailers dont impress me they are made off thin sheet metal.

The sankeys are strong and can take alot of punishment

edit

Thenorwegian trailers have torstion rubber suspension, not the best for offroading, but ok for onroad use.

The axles are made by Knott- Avonride- Bradley (not sure who owns who know).

They are similar to the types made by German Alko.

G
attachment.php

Doh! I see the torsion finally :D

I'm ok with torsion springs - just needs shocks added maybe to take some sway out of them, and to absorb some of the heat from long, bumpy roads. Most of the time they work fine, IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) :D .

cold_n_wet

Will consider extra shocks had'nt though about that.

Been a busy week, but we got alot of the door seal holders cut to size and mounted the trail top tent today.

Aimed at getting the base spot on the senter point with height 155cm, when installed 157cm, forgot to account for some rubber gaskets. still its a +/ - 5 cm tollerance, so we are there.

Now hope to drill the doors tomorrow for the door locks.

Bolted down and packed away before a big rain cloud came and released its contents.

IMAG0290_RS.jpg

IMAG0291_RS.jpg

IMAG0292_RS.jpg

cold_n_wet

Got tired cutting 2mm stainles for the door seals and spacers so trial mounted the locks from Southco, happy with the results.

IMAG0295_RS.jpg

IMAG0296_RS.jpg

IMAG0297_RS.jpg

IMAG0301_RS.jpg

IMAG0302_RS.jpg

1 1/2 door seal mounts to cut.

Glen

java

Expedition Leader
wow impressive build. lots of top quality parts. are you in the airplane business? the only other place ive really seen people use clico's

biskit

Adventurer
Like the locks Glen, i've just picked my new axle up from Indespension!! it looks alot like yours :1888fbbd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior