Test: Raptor vs Ram Runner

KaiserM715

Adventurer
One line from Chad Ragland (driver for the article):
Maybe I shouldn't say this knowing that the Ram Runner had the faster time, but if I had to pick one truck, the better overall performer, for both on- and off-road, I'd have to pick the Raptor.

RoyJ

Adventurer
One line from Chad Ragland (driver for the article):

That can be said for any comparison between a more purpose built, vs stock vehicle.

Take a highly modified Jeep - you'd pick a stock Rubicon for both on-off road.

Take a highly modified track car - you'd pick a stock BMW M5 for both street and track.

Take a purpose built commercial flatbed hauler - you'd pick a stock 3500 pickup for work and play.

And the list goes on..

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Going just by looks, I would pick the Raptor over the Ram, but only just. Can't wait to see what GM has to offer when they finally throw their hat in the ring.

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Nice "little" test but I remember when the Ford guys were running the raptor through the entire best in the desert series for one full season in the stock full size as their test. Most of those trucks lose to attrition and it survived the season just fine. The Ram Runner may be as bad a truck but it has to prove itself first i think. Even Toyota is getting into the game with the Tacoma Baja. That's good stuff for us really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice "little" test but I remember when the Ford guys were running the raptor through the entire best in the desert series for one full season in the stock full size as their test. Most of those trucks lose to attrition and it survived the season just fine. The Ram Runner may be as bad a truck but it has to prove itself first i think. Even Toyota is getting into the game with the Tacoma Baja. That's good stuff for us really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was the "race ready" Raptor R... not the production model raptor. the only thing it had in common was the body, frame and transmission(at the time the 6.2l wasnt available, though you can get it now).. (although the factory transmission holding up to that abuse is quite impressive)

78Bronco

Explorer
I see the Raptor was quicker in some sections.

For the test to be truly proper both trucks should have been fitted with the same tire. The General is for more aggressive that the BFG AT.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz