Team Equipt's "After the EXPO 2012 Trip"

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
:Wow1: Um... COOL!!!!

You guys totally suck... just sayin'... not jealous or anything... well... maybe a little... okay maybe alot and thats why you guys suck... :)

BurbanAZ

Explorer
fun trip to read though, definitely like the more laid back attitude with not a ton of planning. Makes for a fun relaxing trip i think.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
So Ben please do tell the story of the Adventure Trailer? Is it to take more goodies from show to show or more comfortable than the Roof Tent or ???
I never thought of you as a trailer guy so it would be good to hear your thoughts.

Great pics of course and I like the writeup...also the beardless look is "interesting"...I have to say I like the rough & tumble look better :)

Keep the story going as it is always good to watch where you guys travel

To everybody, I do feel like I look like a COP now! Good thing is that I'm from the south and I just have to grunt real hard to grow it back out.
Lance, as to Beverly and I traveling with a trailer I have mixed emotions. I absolutely love the Adventure Trailer Horizon with our Globetrotter on it, the setup is instant and easy without leaving the ground. The pullout kitchen is the bomb and the massive water storage is so useful for those weeks spent on distant empty beaches down south...
BUT, it seems to be just too much weight for our already overloaded 80 Series. If "Lucy" had a TRD S/C or a GM V-8 then there would be no issue. The only other negative I can associate with trailers is that no matter how much you love them you still have to tow them to all those cool spots.
On a side note Ross AKA Nigel Cafiene is on the way home to TX with our Adventure Trailer. We had engine troubles while in Moab, UT and we hooked it up to his Jeep to tow into town. We thought our head gasket was blown so we wanted to take all the stress off of our land cruiser so as a precaution we swapped the trailer to the Jeep. While riding into town Nigel liked it so much behind him that he wanted to take it home??? Really, well O.K. We struck a deal on the 2M Radio on the 45 mile ride into Moab and it was done. So we no longer have a trailer or a roof top tent, uh-oh?? Better head to Prescott when Lucy is feeling better and pick one up!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
fun trip to read though, definitely like the more laid back attitude with not a ton of planning. Makes for a fun relaxing trip i think.

You are correct my friend! As in most of our trips we plan very little about the route and timing and just let it flow naturally. It seems that great things happen when you hold loosely on the reins....

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
The Alpine Loop and Silverton, CO

After tripping up Imogene we decided the next day to head on over to the Alpine Loop. I knew this would be great for Nigel as he had never been on it.

_DSF2301-web.jpg

We had to traverse the newly opened Ophir Pass twice, FUN!

_DSF2308-web.jpg

The snow walls were still very high and the path narrow.

_DSF2326.jpg

I knew we would not get past this piece of machinery in Silverton without photographing it.

_DSF2332-web.jpg

I was right.....

_DSF2336-web.jpg

_DSF2341-web.jpg

The people of Silverton are ready for the tourist and on this day the weather below 11,000 ft. was perfect for a trail ride.

_DSF2344-web.jpg

???

_DSF2345.jpg

Out toward Animas Forks and beyond town are endless mines for those who have never made it out this way, lots of fun to explore. Be Safe when doing So!

_DSF2350-web.jpg

I dropped the Adventure Trailer at Animas Forks where we had lunch and then headed up the loop. Not that the trailer wouldn't make it, it is just a lot quicker without it.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
The Alpine Loop Continued.....

Once we got on the actual Alpine Loop that would take us to Lake City via Engineer Pass it was smooth sailing. There weren't that many people out of the trail this early and this made for a day where I could stop as much as I wanted to take it all in....

_DSF2373-web.jpg

Nigel's Jeep with him very wide eyed inside!

_DSF2378-web.jpg

_DSF2383-web.jpg

I couldn't take my eyes off of all the cool patterns that the landscape was making.

_DSF2392-web.jpg

A 180º panorama with Nigel's Jeep anchoring it.

_DSF2408-web.jpg

Near the top of the loop it got quite patchy with snow, but nothing bad at all.

_DSF2381-web.jpg

A great overlook near the top. It got so windy that you couldn't even get out of the car near the top!

_DSF2425-web.jpg

Lucy coming back down Ophir Pass.

_DSF2447-web.jpg

The ledge is really skinny for the truck and trailer right now in a few spots, just don't look down!:Wow1:

_DSF2460-web.jpg

Down toward the little village of Ophir things are so green that they look fake. This will not last long as the snowpack in the southern San Juan Mountains is very low this year. Hopefully there will be no wild fires late in the season in these parts.

_DSF2472-web.jpg

Nigel got initiated into the Telluride crowd later in the evening by participating in the "Ski Shot" with Ross, Ben and Erik!:sombrero:

Off to camp on the top of Last Dollar Road next....

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Great pics...Thanks for sharing...

Is your LC ok? Whatever happened?

She's in the shop here in SLC and we will know more tomorrow. We originally thought that she had blew a HG, but now it's look as though she didn't. Might be a combination of a bad or dirty injectors from Central America, a broke spark plug and water from a recent high water mark trip??? The symptoms were straight out of the blown head gasket book, but with no over-heating.....
We will see!
Thanks for asking.

Benjie Edmonson
Dir. Of Marketing
Equipt Expedition Outfitters
www.equipt1.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mph

Expedition Leader
All the best...I hope the LC is on the road soon. I am headed over to the Telluride, Lake City area in a few weeks. Boy, does it look dry there too!

Ash

Adventurer
I wish I had been there with you guys! Great pictures Ben - glad the Fuji is working superbly :)
Ross - nice score on the 'new' expo toys!

Ash

Nigel Caffiene

Gentleman Scholar
I wish I had been there with you guys! Great pictures Ben - glad the Fuji is working superbly :)
Ross - nice score on the 'new' expo toys!

Ash

Thanks Ash! This was a great trip that just ended far too quickly for me.

I am looking forward to using the newly aquired trailer on my next excursion, however, I'm now wanting a Fuji camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles