Team Equipt's "After the EXPO 2012 Trip"

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
So here we go again..... Team Equipt sans Paul May A.K.A. "The Boss" are on the road for several weeks traveling throughout the Western US. Myself, Beverly and Nigel Caffiene left Prescott, AZ last Tuesday after dropping off everything that we had on display at EXPO. Before we left Beverly decided that she was going to reorganize Nigel's 2000 Jeep Sahara Edition. Things seemed to be in a bit of confusion in his Man Cave/vehicle, but after 3 hours and 3 new Alu-Boxes they had it all under control. It was a real plus that we were camping in the parking lot of OJ/Adventure Trailer and Equipt Expedition Outfitters warehouse.

DSCF1768.jpg

Nigel as we all know is quite the character and a lot of fun to camp with so he will be with us for the first 10 or so days of the trip.
This by no means is this something I would call a round the world expedition, but it will be a fun trip with lots of pic's and we will update it as quickly as possible.
We first headed to the western portion of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon for some boon docking and great views. The weather was great and there wasn't another soul around. We felt like tourist in our own country and as soon as we saw this sign we had to stop and all pile out of our trucks to take pic's.

DSCF1780.jpg

After hanging out with the Flintstones we headed north again and soon turned west off of Hwy 64 just south of the Grand Canyon National Airport onto a dirt road and made our way for several hours west. We didn't take the main dirt route that goes directly to the Havasupai Indian Reservation because we wanted to see what all those dotted lines were like to drive on. It didn't take long before we came up on some old fashion Australia type "Bull Dust" and Nigel couldn't resist the temptation to cover me in it!

S0011786-web.jpg

At one point in time we even ended up driving right next to the Grand Canyon Railway tracks. This was kind of weird, but there were no signs present that said we couldn't do it. :Wow1:

DSCF1801-web.jpg

We eventually made our way onto the reservation and as usual there was nobody around to give your $25.00 to. After waiting around and looking for an indian representative we continued our travels through the reservation and back onto National Park lands and finally to Signal Hill. From there we traveled slowly since I was pulling our new to us Adventure Trailer. When hooked up to our 80 Series Land Cruiser it was like threading a needle through the tight forest. Just before sunset we arrived at our destination and had not seen another person all day. This changed as we drove up to the Grand and saw one other person there. This threw a wrench into our camping plans as we didn't want to crowd the individual who was there first. So we took some pic's and just soaked in the awesomeness of this place before heading to our camp in the woods.

DSCF1814-web.jpg

DSCF1831-web.jpg

DSCF1869-web.jpg

DSCF1883-web.jpg

DSCF1891-web.jpg

From here we headed to the Navajo National Monument.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Now this is the kind of stuff that is a pleasure to read...and look over the great pics of course.

The part about Bev taking on Nigel's setup is priceless :)

I like how you guys are taking it easy, seeing the cool sights and good on you for respecting the other camper out on the Rim.

Looking forward to the next update.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Navajo National Monument & Four Corners

After getting some great images and a good nights sleep at the Grand Canyon we headed our wagon's to the northeast. By this time the forecasted 40-60mph winds had arrived.:Wow1: While at one of the last public overlooks into the canyon I swore we were about to see a tourist blown over the edge. Luckily this didn't happen. Our original track would've taken us toward Monument Valley, but with the terrible wind we changed our route. It looked as thought Monument Valley and its free camping would be a good landing pad for us. We just hoped that the sites were protected out of the wind.

DSCF1937.jpg

We made it to Monument Valley and did the tourist shot before heading into find a camp spot. Luckily the pads were somewhat guarded from the wind and we settled in for the night.

DSCF1949-web.jpg

Nigel kept it simple and went for the exposed cot instead of his tent. This put him closer to his new shiny Alu-boxes.

The next morning we headed for Four Corners and to stick our feet in all 4 stated at one time. We have driven by this tourist attraction many times and never stopped, but this time would be different. After paying our $3.00 per person we were in and had some real fun making pictures. We had a group of Japanese businessmen taking pictures of us as we were acting like kids.....

DSCF1976.jpg

Proof positive that we were there.

DSCF1969-web.jpg

Nigel got some rest in all four states at one time.

DSCF1966.jpg

I wanted to be in the pic with Beverly so this is all I could come up with?:sombrero:

From the Four Corners area we headed to Telluride hook up with all of our friends and to get out of the wind. We might even get some trail time in the San Juans while we are there.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Telluride, CO and Imogene Pass

It seemed as though our timing into Telluride was perfect as the "Edmonson Suite" at our buddy Erik Dalton's house was open and Mountain Film was in full swing. We arrived into the San Juan Mountains on a blue bird, but very windy day.

DSCF1999-web.jpg

We hung out at the Jagged Edge gear shop in town owned by a fellow overland enthusiast, Erik Dalton. If you're ever in Telluride look for his sweet Land Rover 110. Be sure to stop by his shop at the end of town as he is an expert on the trails here.

DSCF1995.jpg

DSCF2010.jpg

I shot this while in the Last Dollar Bar better known as the "Buck!" I couldn't stop staring at this painting and it totally summed up the great Johnny Cash:):sombrero:

DSCF2033-web.jpg

Our buddy Ross Caswell grabbed my new Fuji X Pro 1 and started snapping images. Of the 45 he took this was the only one that was almost in focus. The significance is that this is the last image of me with my beard. Later on this night I had an unfortunate shaving accident.

_DSF2239-web.jpg

The following day I was clean shaved and baby faced, my mother will love this!

DSCF2059-web.jpg

We took a quick trip from Hastings Mesa to Telluride via the old Last Dollar Road route. The views were stunning as usual, man I miss this place.

_DSF2111-web.jpg

Nigel and Erik drooling over some car magazine while sipping cold beer on the front porch.

_DSF2195-web.jpg

We decided to head up one of my favorite trails right out of Telluride called Imogene Pass. I'm sure most of the portal folks have been on this route and as of right now the last pitch which takes you up to 13,114' is closed. We got to 12,500 ft. and had to turn around which was fun with my new Adventure Trailer.

_DSF2137-web.jpg

On the way up Imogene we met the coolest couple from Houston and got to look over their Range Rover. Paul and Maria were doing the trail while in town for Mountain Film and when we saw them we ended up talking for a half an hour or so on the trail. This is what is so cool about the Overland Community. Their rangie was smooth....

_DSF2189-web.jpg

Nigel's Jeep on Imogene.

_DSF2281-web.jpg

I'm working on driving off-road with the Adventure Trailer and finding that is tracks perfectly since it is so short.

_DSF2184-web.jpg

_DSF2259-web.jpg

Now off to the Alpine Loop and Lake City!

Last edited:

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Too much on the plate right now. I'm back in the office. Also, we had a cargo trailer down at Expo that I needed to bring back to SLC with me. Not too conducive to overlanding. Oh well. Next time.

Cheers,

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So Ben please do tell the story of the Adventure Trailer? Is it to take more goodies from show to show or more comfortable than the Roof Tent or ???
I never thought of you as a trailer guy so it would be good to hear your thoughts.

Great pics of course and I like the writeup...also the beardless look is "interesting"...I have to say I like the rough & tumble look better :)

Keep the story going as it is always good to watch where you guys travel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94