I flipped my M416

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
After flipping trailer I spent all my time looking at the mirror and studying the trailer. I saw it up on one tire more than once and when I would stop the trailer would slowly drop down. The lunette should be keeping the trailer on the ground regardless the the truck angle. Hence my theory about the lunette not turning freely. My lunette also does not turn by hand and I will loosen it up.

More I think about it I keep coming back to the tight lunette and wrong tires.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Most of the military set ups were for 3500 pound situations, I doubt many of us ever get close to that amount of weight.

I just recieved an axle from Dexter, set at 2700 pounds, when checking the bill of lading it stated 3500 pounds, after crawling around under the installed axle, it stated 3500, so now I have to pull it off send it back and wait another week or two for the right one to show up. Nice. But Dexter makes the axles down to 2300 pounds with all the 3500 pound running gear.

So if any one is looking for a Dexter 3500 pound torflex axle 69 inches to brake face and 50 inch wide frame, 6 lug with electric brakes I may have a deal for you. I have not gotten a price, but they offered a considerable amount off if I would take it.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Great thanks . That would be a great help. great looking set up

No worries, and thanks...cant wait until it is completed!

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/items.asp?Cc=ELEC-DRU

I think this was the place I found bits that would fit mone. The hub on yours will be different than mine, so my part numbers and dimensions will not work. Give them a call. There was another link, will dig that up too.

Oh and my lunette ring is pretty tight, but it is well greased and properly tensioned. You have to kick it with some force to get it to turn, but when on the road and articulating the trailer, I can hear the odd groan of the ring turning in the mount, so I know it is working as designed.

shogun

Adventurer
After cleaning and greasing the cone in the lunette, the spec calls for tightening the nut w/spring to a specific amount. They use a feeler gauge in between the spring coils set at 0.010". This compression spring is what keeps the lunette pulled back into the lunette bracket.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks.

With all the seaching I have done I have yet to see a post that actually has a part number referenced. There are plenty of posts that state I used this vendor but no further specfics.

oldboyscout

Observer
That's horrible, sorry you have such a mess.
I've been thinking more and more about springs and tire pressure for my very light trailer. I really hate watching it bounce in the air on bumps.

rezdiver

Adventurer
I did not see anything mentioned here but a trailer tongue weight should be around 10-15% of the total gross weight of the trailer as a rule.

also the lunette should definately be able to spin freely with some resistance and should not bind. the rotating lunettes are designed to be used with nonrotating pintle hitches.

for reference of the 1/4ton trailer suspension, my stock m101CDN will drop down to with in 1 inch of the bump stops with 3500lbs of load in it. and will drop to approximately half way point with 1200lbs load in it.

I think if your lunette is binding it definately could have caused this in addition to the trailer load placement.

oldboyscout

Observer
I remember now reading a thread that was talking about the shackle bolts being so tight that the springs couldn't move. That would be a problem.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
In my experience with U.S. 1/4 ton trailers, the lunette should not be easily turned by hand. This lack of spring pressure will allow too much constant seperation between the cone and socket joint and can cause damage. It will also fatige the spring quicker.

These trailers, with this type of hitch and suspension, were designed as pack mules, not greyhounds. Their basic design goes back to the late 30's to early 40's and were designed to be pulled by low powered vehicles at no more than 45 mph at best.

They are what they are and no more. If you want a free turning by hand type of hitch, this isn't for you.

VanIsle_Greg

1 minute google search turned up the operators/maintenance manual for the M416 posted a few places, including IH8MUD.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m416.pdf

Good info to have. All the torque specs, maintenance info as well as recommended weight limits, inflation and load info. I have already found all of the owners, maintenance and service manuals for the M101 CDN trailers including the air drop procedures guide (just in case I need to one day).

Inflation:
Cross-country 22 psi (152 kPa)
H i g h w a y 25 psi (172 kPa)
Mud, Snow, and Sand 18 psi (124 kPa)

**edit: Please note that this is for the STOCK OEM tires not replacement or oversized tires**

Also, in the Appendicies in appendix F page 186/187 is the specs on the drums including the part numbers.

Google ******.

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Ouch! Sorry to see your gear take a hit. Good that no one got hurt.

A note on tongue weight, the generally accepted engineering guide line as set by the NATM is that 10-15% of the total trailer weight should be on the tongue. The 60/40 rule is also a good rule of thumb if you don't know your trailer weight.

Not having been there it is hard to speculate on what happened. In our experience we see a lot of roll overs caused by a hard bounce which can be due to a number of factors, either speed, rebound dampening, high tire pressures to name a few. Lowering and balancing your CG is always a good pursuit.

If there is anything we can do to get your 416 back together, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

rezdiver

Adventurer
1 minute google search turned up the operators/maintenance manual for the M416 posted a few places, including IH8MUD.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m416.pdf

Good info to have. All the torque specs, maintenance info as well as recommended weight limits, inflation and load info. I have already found all of the owners, maintenance and service manuals for the M101 CDN trailers including the air drop procedures guide (just in case I need to one day).

Inflation:
Cross-country 22 psi (152 kPa)
H i g h w a y 25 psi (172 kPa)
Mud, Snow, and Sand 18 psi (124 kPa)

Also, in the Appendicies in appendix F page 186/187 is the specs on the drums including the part numbers.

Google ******.

Greg,
Just remember, those tire inflation ratings are for the original stock tire size and load rating, and will vary if the tire load rating and diameter and width is changed.

VanIsle_Greg

Yes, good point... it does say that in the manual, it refers to the stock OEM tires.

Worth a read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94