I flipped my M416

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I flipped my M416 this week . My RTT was totaled as well as some new Alu-Boxes. The trailer seems fine. Now to figure out how it happened. The road was not too rough and the speed was slow.

I was thinking the lunette ring was too tight not allowing the trailer to stay on the ground when the truck is articulating.

Lucky there was a tree that allowed a 90 degree winch oull to get it righted.

Attachments

• GrandCanyontrip065.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip065.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 97
  • GrandCanyontrip066.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip066.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 110
  • GrandCanyontrip067.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip067.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 96
  • GrandCanyontrip068.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip068.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 91
  • GrandCanyontrip069.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip069.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 100
  • GrandCanyontrip070.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip070.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 85
  • GrandCanyontrip071.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip071.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 70
  • GrandCanyontrip072.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip072.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 84
  • GrandCanyontrip073.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip073.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 71
  • GrandCanyontrip074.jpg
    GrandCanyontrip074.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 94

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
That sucks.

Did the lunette seize in the frame mount maybe? I know that they are supposed to be able to rotate hence the zerk grease port...maybe it didn't and the truck articulated and the trailer just followed along instead of the lunette rotating? Mine turns reasonably easily in the mount, well with some force.

Just tossing that out there? Sorry that your tent and bins paid the price.

jomobco

Now Decanter
I'm guessing your spring rate is too high. I had the same problem on my m100. I didn't fix it. I thought about what it might be, what could fix it, the price if it happened again (i popped a hole in a maggiolina) and bought another trailer with a different suspension. I concluded removing a leaf or 2 might help. Mine happened on a similar type of road at low speed.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Yikes... Sorry about that. Nicely outfitted trailer!
Hope you can figure out how it happened, as you wrote the road and speed shouldn't of been a factor.
FWIW and believe me it's only a wild speculation... some type of suspension issue along with a tight hitch???

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Cows are out of the barn, but I would look at a max coupler or lock and roll. Far superior and far harder to steal to.

Sorry to see all the destruction, but no one was hurt and just think of the stories you will have to tell about the body rash.

I seriously doubt suspension caused the problem. My guess is the lunette seized up and twisted with the tow vehicle.

biskit

Adventurer
"Owch" that hurt's, you'll have to put lead weights hung from the axle and keep the weight lower.:oops:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I don't think it had anything to do with the hitch being too tight. Looks like too much weight up top combined with an unfortunate set of terrain/vehicle dynamics circumstances.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Ditto. Were you braking at the time? I don't see articulation being an issue given the terrain. How much total weight were you carrying? Any bouncing of the trailer at the time? It honestly just looks like a top-heavy flop.

From using those in the Army I'd say it didn't have the tongue weight it needed. Along with the suspension being designed for incredibly heavy loads. If your gonna fix it I'd suggest removing a leaf or two, and getting longer shackles with new mounts that let the shackle move more freely backwards. When just sitting at ride height they should have a good angle on them with the leaf pin a inch or two behind the mount pin. That'll make it much more suitable for lighter loads. Also put some shocks on it, that'll really help with the control on the washboard roads. Good luck

0607jeep

Not only does it look top heavy but looks like a lot of the weight was on the top left, was the weight distributed equally on the top?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I don't think it had anything to do with the hitch being too tight. Looks like too much weight up top combined with an unfortunate set of terrain/vehicle dynamics circumstances.

Yeah, looking at the pics, I think you are right. I didn't really look at the height of the cage with all that stuff up there. Skinny tires probably didn't help either? I have been thinking about pulling a few leafs out of my stack too...that along with the new shocks should help. Keeping the weight low and forward will also help.

Still sucks man.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Looks like adequate tongue weight, it appears battery box in front, gas or water tanks on the front side and a spare tire under the trailer.

Can not tell how high the rack was or if the tent was centered or to one side and the boxes on the other.

Stated going slow speed, would indicate that it was not the suspension that caused it. May never figure it out.

Keeping everything up front on a trailer is not the best idea.

How high is the pintle. For a trailer to really tow properly at any speed the front should be two inches lower than the back, unless equiped with an equalizer hitch.

That is one problem with our expedition type trailers, almost all the manufactureres put the weight up front, giving it way too much tongue weight. You should be able to lift your trailer on and off, not easy, but you should be able to do it it it is set up properly. I have seen some with over 500 pounds of tongue weight.

Truly sorry to see the damage, looks like you put a lot of work and money into your trailer. But again no one was hurt, the rest can be replace. If you need any help getting it back going again, do not hestitate to pm me. I will help if I can.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The tongue weight is about sixty pounds. I have shocks. In studying the trailer in the mirror since the flip, I can see how the truck is at one angle and the trailer is being held at the angle with a wheel up and slowly getting back on that tire. I will losen up the lunette.

The weight is about equal on top.

In addition to the lunette ring I'll lower the TP, try to winden the stance. I'll research some adapters to fit 15" wheels so I can get a wider tire on it.

TacoDell

Adventurer
spring over... along with a load above the box...
yeah... those changes aren't making anything better for the trailer's cog...

with the SO arrangement and additional top load...
I'd think you'll need a wider axle and wider tires to compensate some.

Removing a spring leaf (or 2) might offer a somewhat softer ride...
buy your pay load will suffer for that.

If it's too bouncy... longer leaf springs with the perches spread farther apart
would offer better flex and may still offer max load capacity.

IMO... the box should always carry the primary, heavier loads...
anything mounted above the box... needs be lighter then the box's payload.

good that no one was hurt... and was minimal damage to the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles