Trailer Hitch Wiring Conversion for 2001 G Help requested

JumpJ

Adventurer
Me Again - I am sure someone here has had this issue. My mech can find the trailer plug for aprox $800. Seems mad to me - can anyone help me with "idiot proof" directions on the wiring into a standard tow hitch lighting so I can pull my trailer?
Cheers
Will.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Me Again - I am sure someone here has had this issue. My mech can find the trailer plug for aprox $800. Seems mad to me - can anyone help me with "idiot proof" directions on the wiring into a standard tow hitch lighting so I can pull my trailer?
Cheers
Will.

Here is a video of how to wire up a 7 Pin RV plug.

I believe you have separate turn signals on the G. You would also need to install a solid state converter on the vehicle side to combine the turn and brake light signals so they will work with the standard trailer wiring.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
If you have the 13pin European trailer plug, or you have that wire harness still above the tank or so,
Eurotruck Importers has a conversion kit for it. Talk to Steve 770-965-3311

JumpJ

Adventurer
thanks-sadly I tried to do this myself. It is the 13 pin euro pin. Everything still works but bugger me. This is a lot for a complete novice!!

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
thanks-sadly I tried to do this myself. It is the 13 pin euro pin. Everything still works but bugger me. This is a lot for a complete novice!!

Maybe this helps......not sure if its for your G-wagen
It helps if you have your correct model, year, type and mother's maiden name listed:sombrero:

13 Pin Trailer Connector X58
pin 13 > 2.5mm2 brown >ground
pin 8 > 0.75mm2 green/yellow > back-up lamp
pin 5 > 0.75mm2 gray/red > tail light right
pin 7 > 0.75mm2 gray/black > tail light left
pin 2 > 0.75mm2 yellow/black > rear fog light
pin 4 > 0.75mm2 black/green > blinker right
pin 1 > 0.75mm2 black white > blinker left
pin 6 > 0.5mm2 red/gray > brake light
pin 9 > 2.5mm2 red/yellow > +12V 20A fuse #63
pin 3 > 1.5mm2 brown > ground

Forum statistics