So the ADV80 is now in 2WD, more like 1WD mode for a little while and it is carrying me to/from work every day. In the mean time, I am waiting for the money tree to grow in the backyard, to afford to get the all fixed and processing what it will take to make upgrades at the same time.
In the mean time, it's those little items that can keep us going during the long upgrade waits.
So, here is a little inexpensive fun project to do in the time of big project waits.
THANK YOU to my Gabe Pari who came up with a great fix and upgrade at the same time! On top of that - at a very economical price too! Like him, I am unwilling to pay $137.50 - EACH!!! for hatch struts from the local Toyota dealer. Gabe sorted out a mod on some struts that are easily obtainable, and priced very reasonable...
Total price is $31 for the pair from McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1204/=izyhtj
Part #4138T579 - Gas Spring with Ball-Joint End Fitting 90 lb Force, 19.72" Extended Length, 7.87" Stroke
The culprit, factory gas-juice has left the tube! Dust traces the escapage path.
So I made the McMasterCarr order for both the struts and the thin 5/16 nuts. Package arrived and my mission begins. This is going to be the shadetree-parking lot installation version.
I start by getting a stick and proping up the rear hatch.
A good place to place the stick up top in is in the rear-hatch handle slot to keep it from popping out and dropping the hatch on your head.
I get the right side strut removed. I don't have a vice and my workbench is working overtime holding too much crap to even work on it, so I figure out a way to just work on the tailgate. I am from Alabama originally - BAMA-GETTER-DONE-TECH!!!
I toss the gas strut-tab into the vice-grips so I can hacksaw off the press-in post.
Now onto the other side's mount and this time I figure out how to get a little more heigth out of the vice-grips by placing the mount in at a angle.
Now to drill out the pressed in shaft-pins:
The pins have a natural drill point.
Vice-Grips to hold the mount and drilling begins!
Mounts drilled and toss on some paint to prevent rust.
Mount up the new strut to the mounts. Note bolt/post is rather long with the thin-nut on.
So I rig up my vice...
Vice-Grips that is!
We are going to cut the excess bolt off.
I replace the stock grease with some Bel Ray waterproof grease. Yea, I ride motorcycles too.
LocTite for the vibration sensation at woop city. I heard that Death Valley has a 27-mile road with 6" square ruts that will vibrate your teeth loose.
Re-install the top mount.
This shows you how much lift we are going to have! At this point I will need to remove the left factory strut so I can push the door up to.
The stick goes straight up and I need a little booster block to get it up enough to get the new longer strut in place. SWEEEET!
I add a couple of washers to the mounting bolts for a little clearance for the strut bolt and nut to clear the side of the body.
Duplicate process for the other side and now you are FINISHED!
New and improved!