Anyone use the Snowpeak Living Shell ?

roamingaz

Explorer
I'm considering buying the snowpeak landbreeze living shell but would like to see if anyone has any real worl experiance with it and easy is set up. I am looking for a shade shelter to use with my tentrax, also been considering a simple tarp like the river wing from NRS

refried

Adventurer
No experience with the Snow Peak but I've had a NRS for the last 6 or 7 years and i've been pretty happy with it. It's not as Quiet and can't be pulled as tight as an MSR wing I've been told (by my MSR owning friends) but it's held up real well. MSR wings have the best design, they were designed by Moss in the '70s and still can't be beat. The original poles are non adjustable so I've added a set of Kelty poles to my bag (along with a variety of stakes) and the lines have been replaced with cam straps to make it easy to set up and adjust. I've had to Seam Seal my seams a few years ago beacuse of an anoying drip but otherwise it's still in great shape. NRS redesigned thier wings a few years ago, Other than a color change and new cut (more like a MSR) I think the fabric is the same.

Honu

lost on the mainland
not sure if you have seen this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8Mwsj29Ig
might help with knowing the setup a bit

we almost got one as we wanted a large living area we could zip up with bug screen but the ends dont have bug screen ? the size is nice and large though
setup from researching them is a 2 person job really

my thoughts if you are looking for shade tarp setups might be the way to go
funny as this weekend we were up near cottonwood with a large group of friends so ended up being at dead horse ranch (25 families) and our Kelty was actually warmer under it than out in the open ? it was our first week camping without using canvas :) so not sure if all nylon/poly style tarps give you shade but can get warmer or just the kelty ? might look at the MSR or the SnowPeak ones to find out though

this week the winds were pretty decent on Fri and Sat with wind speeds up to 30 and gusts to over 40

the kelty did a lot of flapping for sure and I could have secured it better but still stayed up
when I sailed in Maui we used canvas tarps on the boats all the time again canvas is big heavy but I do love it in the wind ! and Maui is windy !
so I know I can secure tarps etc.. I think its just the thin flappy nature of nylon
I did notice one tiny tiny rip near one of the tie outs I imagine from the wind ? but its a $70 tarp so no biggy

we picked up a LandLock though to try out not fun for the first time to have to setup in that wind !!!!
once setup and staked down to the ground have to say it was amazingly good in the wind !! very stable way more than I thought two guy points and it did not move
we had two spots one in the more open we ended up moving from to one a bit more in the trees but the winds were still from a angle even in the trees it was hitting us pretty hard !

since the landbreeze and the landock are pretty close to the same setup I can say pluses were nice room inside and stability in the wind !
even with the gusts hitting the thing ! it was nice no movement the side flaps or sod cloth edge really kept any wind from blowing under it which was really nice
I wish the main door zippers were the larger models like on our trailer tent ? I am used to big old zippers and shade cloth for bug screen :)

for shade I am really thinking of trying a piece of aluminet
or this layered one
http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products/burningmanshadecloth__aluminetshadecloth.html

downside might be pack size ?
the shade cloth we use in our yard is nice no flapping in winds etc..
or go back to nice canvas maybe ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles