Camp chef stove/oven?

Anu

Observer
Spotted these at the local sporting goods chain today. Are they any good? The wife likes the idea of being able to bake stuff while camping. I am thinking of adding one to my camp trailer I have in the works.

Purchased one from Costco -this is the same stove/oven combo (no grill) but in red. This appears to be one that they make/package especially for Costco members or so I was told by Costco. I do not see it any place else. It came packaged with the camp chef Mountain series griddle which I gave away as I am no fan of teflon.
http://www.campchef.com/mountain-series-griddle.html

I paid 165 for the oven and griddle combo.

Appears that they took the negative reviews and made some improvements. It now has a handle and the gauge works well. We used it on 2 camping trips and it works fine. Both times we used the oven. Expect that you will have to monitor closely to check temp and open and close oven door to lower temp.

It is heavy and I would probably just use it only on longer camping trips.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I don't know anyone personally that has the Dome, but have just read stuff on Dutch Oven cooking sites. It seems people are happy with them and the only real complaints have been the top not browning on things which can be solved by removing the lid for a bit, and some with smaller stoves didn't have enough room for the Dome to fit.

I've never used the aluminum stuff and when working with my nephews Scout leader, he used all Cast Iron stuff. (Man that guy could cook. Over 35 years with the Scouts and a couple of cookbooks.) On the Dutch Oven sites most people seem to like the aluminum stuff especially for the bigger ovens as the weight is a lot less than the iron. It seems like they are comparable as far as cooking things.

Anu

Observer
Approximatley how long can you bake for until you need to replace the propane tank?

The first time around I used a 1lb propane tank that lasted me 2 days of cooking that also included baking a cake.

I am planning to be using a 20 Lb propane tank for an upcoming week long trip for just cooking/baking. Will check and report.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I was just (4 days) in the Sierras and there's NO CAMP FIRES-but

If you have a campfire permit--you can use your propane campstoves all day/night and the ovens also-

If you chance a campfire--it can cost you $5000 bucks--if caught--bummer, but everything else is copasetic !!

The "camp Chef" three burner stove is SUPREME-

Sawmillllakejune12015.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Sorry to bump an old thread but I saw no sense in creating a new one for updated info.
Wife is in love with the oven idea and is dead set on us getting one. I guess to supplement the no camp fire or no open flame bans that I could use a portable induction burner.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I have one, the oven is okay, don't use it much anymore. The stove part just doesn't put out enough BTU's for me. I don't want to have to stand in front of it cooking bacon for an hour. I purchased the Camp Chef Everest for that :)

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I have one in my Tear drop. I make cinnamon rolls, biscuits and I've finished off steaks after searing in a pan. Works good. Stove top gets plenty hot, just make sure all valves on the stove are closed before you hook up a tank. Its kind of big, but its easy to make friends when you hand out warm cinnamon rolls on a cold morning.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

Tom that was our thinking. It would be great for serving coffee and pastry while breakfast is being cooked. Most of our meals are simple basic meals. Meat, taters, beans, rice type of thing for protein and carbs. The lower BTUs could be a serious concern for use at higher altitudes.

I haven't looked but maybe a small pressure cooker might be a benefit. Never seen anyone ever use one camping. In areas where campfires are allowed it makes more sense cooking over a campfire and conserving propane.

tracknod

Observer
We bought one to go in our Basecamp and I have to tell you my wife LOVES it more than anything other mod. Like others said, the temp gauge is off, but once you put in another it is amazing. Over thanksgiving, our campsite was the campgrounds kids hang out for s'mores with fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.

I can't tell you how happy we are with it. Plus, it was on sale a few days ago for Amazon prime for 125 bucks. We almost got another just because.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Tom that was our thinking. It would be great for serving coffee and pastry while breakfast is being cooked. Most of our meals are simple basic meals. Meat, taters, beans, rice type of thing for protein and carbs. The lower BTUs could be a serious concern for use at higher altitudes.

I haven't looked but maybe a small pressure cooker might be a benefit. Never seen anyone ever use one camping. In areas where campfires are allowed it makes more sense cooking over a campfire and conserving propane.
I've never had a problem with BTUs on the stove using a bulk tank. In fact, it can be too high some times.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior