Camp chef stove/oven?

dumprat

Adventurer
Spotted these at the local sporting goods chain today. Are they any good? The wife likes the idea of being able to bake stuff while camping. I am thinking of adding one to my camp trailer I have in the works.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
We've got one in our teardrop. It's only seen two road trips so far, but it's done some tasty cinnamon rolls and baked an apple pie to perfection and the stovetop works as well as our Coleman stove we've used for the last few years. Having an oven is sweet!

The only issues we've had are the built-in oven temp gauge is about 50 degrees off, we bought an oven thermometer to solve that problem, and the regulator stuck closed one day and I had to dismantle/remantle it to get the gas flowing again....

dumprat

Adventurer
Hmm good to hear the oven and stove work well.

In our area fire bans are common so a dutch oven is out, and the weight of a cast iron pot is too high as well

yj4roks

Observer
NOPE! Campchief makes a "tent" and diffuser plate so you can use a dutch oven on a stove! I live in So. Cal. and have the fire restrictions problem too. This saves the day! Takes a little practice but you can bake again without coals! When I found that item, I hadn't used my dutch oven in about a year except for desert trips! The other plus is you don't have to babysit like with coals...rotating the lid and base to avoid hot spots.

spikemd

Explorer
My buddy has one and we have brought it on the trail a few times. Baked cookies, which the kids love, and warm things up. The stovetop is as good as any other two burner stove. The only downside is size. It is a bit big and heavy, but since he has a disco with the rear seats removed, it isn't an issue. It adds some dinner options for the trail and works pretty well. He got it at Costco for like $170? I was at Costco yesterday here in Sacramento and they have another batch of them. Like anything at Costco, its a seasonal item, so once they are sold out, they may not get any back in. Good luck.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
can't seem to find an oven that works better than my dutch ovens. The only downside is the weather here has been so dry that all the fire restrictions make using them impossible. The last trip we took our woks (made from old disc harrows) and a burner from a turkey deep fryer and had some really great shrimp burritos.

Honu

lost on the mainland
can't seem to find an oven that works better than my dutch ovens. The only downside is the weather here has been so dry that all the fire restrictions make using them impossible. The last trip we took our woks (made from old disc harrows) and a burner from a turkey deep fryer and had some really great shrimp burritos.

you ever try those tent things that campchef sells ?
thought about that here with all these fire restrictions

I want to get into doing some dutch oven things and not sure if those tent things actually work or not ?

6x6pinz

Adventurer
No, I have not used them. Did not know they even existed. That will teach me not to market my ideas. I used a sheet metal box with a hole cut in the top and another piece of sheetmetal screwed to the top to allow me to close down the amount of heat that would come up through the box. The problem was it melted the knobs on the stove, not enough air flow I believe.

I still use a piece of 1/4 plate in my bbq grill at home when I want to practice a dutch oven recipe. I have several "kitchen" style ovens as well as, way too many, camp style. It is great to practice at home in the oven to get the recipes right before hitting the trails. the electric oven or bbq take the temp variations out of play and allow me to dial in the recipe before actually making anything for the groups.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah I also thought using the 3 burner range I have outside I could try that tent thing at home where I have a bit more control etc.. and if I mess up OH well :)

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I read a thread on the Dutch Oven Dome somewhere in the last few days, but I can't remember where. They seemed to really like it and said that it worked pretty good. I did find a couple of the videos that they had linked to showing how works. There are also some videos of the oven/stove combo too. They make cinnamon rolls and a cobbler. They are on page 3. If you watch the cobbler video and then look at the recommended videos on the side there is a review where the guy makes a turkey in the oven. Here's the Camp Chef video channel link and the Dome videos below. http://www.youtube.com/user/campchef/videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaVs9olFamI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmzEbHaAt8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew_z5utc_mo

Honu

lost on the mainland
saw all the dome videos which made me think it was pretty cool ;) but never heard anyone who owned one :) I might get one but being new to dutch oven cooking I wont have much comparison :)

6x6pinz

Adventurer
seems in the videos they used aluminum ovens with the dome. I have never used full sized aluminum dutch ovens. They also eluded to one of the problems I had with my metal box, the top never seemed to get hot enough. Removing the lid of the oven would no doubt help that issue.
The dome reminds me of the cardboard box cooking techniques, probably the best way to cook turkey imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles