exposed propane tank...

Robert Bills

Explorer
How do you get it filled? I didn't think anyone would fill a non OPD equipped Tank. Especially in CA.

Thanks.

-M

ASME rated tanks do not require OPD devices or the Acme nut. DOT rated cylinders do. I've only had one instance where a vendor's employee didn't want to fill my tank (at a gas station). He had absolutely no training and had never seen a horizontal tank except the ones permanently mounted in motorhomes. All I had to say was that my tank was just like the horizontal tanks in motorhomes except smaller and externally mounted, then no problem.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My propane tank is a vintage Manchester 13 lb. (3 gal.) horizontal ASME tank that was often used in marine applications. Unlike current DOT propane cylinders, it does not have an OPD (overflow protection device) and Acme nut. Instead, it has the traditional check valve to prevent overflow and a POL connector. As such, it requires additional care to be sure the valve is closed (no automatic shutoff in the valve), however these valves were used for decades with very few incidents and are not inherently unsafe.

Manchester shows horizontal DOT cylinders and ASME tanks on its website, however they are pricey. Also, the shape has changed and look more like a vertical tank placed on its side (although configured specifically for horizontal use).

You can still find tanks like mine on the used market at old school trailer supply yards and marine surplus outfits. Might take awhile, but they do pop up from time to time.

ASME rated tanks do not require OPD devices or the Acme nut. DOT rated cylinders do. I've only had one instance where a vendor's employee didn't want to fill my tank (at a gas station). He had absolutely no training and had never seen a horizontal tank except the ones permanently mounted in motorhomes. All I had to say was that my tank was just like the horizontal tanks in motorhomes except smaller and externally mounted, then no problem.

I have a slightly smaller version I bought last year that I am going to be using, you just gave me the info I needed when I wasn't even looking for it, thanks! Did you have to use an adapter of some sort, because isn't the thread left-handed on the older bottles or am I mistaken?

chasespeed

Explorer
The OPD is NOT needed/req'd on Industrial DOT cylinders either. Hence, I have an aluminum forklift tank(33lb). Has the 1.25 Acme(can be filled from a bulk truck if needed), liquid withdrawl valve, and a POL valve. I dont need that OPD nonsense, since it is an Industrial Cylinder. Now, I can mount it either vertical OR horizontal(due to the location and design of the pressure relief).

My tank being aluminum, I would be more cautious on location though...

As far as ripping a hole in a propane tank(steel)... a lot harder than you think... though....I tend to err on the side of caution....

Chase

Robert Bills

Explorer
I have a slightly smaller version I bought last year that I am going to be using, you just gave me the info I needed when I wasn't even looking for it, thanks! Did you have to use an adapter of some sort, because isn't the thread left-handed on the older bottles or am I mistaken?

I'm using an old style regulator with left hand thread. They are still available, but not everywhere. I once googled adaptors so I could use an Acme nut with a new 2-stage regulator with ports for both high and low pressure (all of my existing propane appliances are vintage and low pressure, but the Partner stove I lust after and most modern lanterns are high pressure). I don't recall finding exactly what I want, but I didn't look very hard. If anyone has a link to a good site for propane adaptors and regulators, it would be much appreciated since this discussion has renewed my interest in improving my system.

MrCyrus16

Observer
Thanks guys, makes me feel better about my decision, I might build a shield to attach where the valve sits but other than that I think I'm good to go.

jim65wagon

I did have road debris rip a hole in one of my scepter gas tanks ? Not sure what it would have done to a propane or what it was ?

I say put some armor on things exposed to stuff flying off the rear wheels :)

A little diamond plate works well....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior