Return of Safety Devices, SD, racks

LtFuzz

Explorer
If I didn't already have one, I'd want them to bring back the Expedition rack.

I voted for "with roof rails" ---- removing the rails, at least on a D1, is a pretty huge pain in the *** as you have to drop the headliner to get at those bolts. I took me a good 2 hours.

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
If I didn't already have one, I'd want them to bring back the Expedition rack.

I voted for "with roof rails" ---- removing the rails, at least on a D1, is a pretty huge pain in the *** as you have to drop the headliner to get at those bolts. I took me a good 2 hours.

And it is worth it to remove the rails in my opinion.

spikemd

Explorer
I expect they will be $Expensive.00 like they were before.
When you vote, which sends an email, you can suggest they publish expected pricing.

The are very high quality, but expensive. I have an SD rack on my range rover and an SD rollbar in my BMW. Glad to see they are getting back in the market, though there are a lot of well built alternatives as well.

LtFuzz

Explorer
And why is this? I selected 'with roof rails' as well. Wouldn't taking them out leave some big holes in the roof?

You can fill the holes with rubber plugs. The low-profile rack (roof rails out) is more desirable because it's a little easier to load, not quite as much aerodynamic loss, and most think it looks a bit better.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
And it is worth it to remove the rails in my opinion.

Agree, those rails are sorry. It's on my list. The headliner on these is often sagging anyway, so it's a good time to fix that too. Worth a few hours time. Having the new rack a few inches lower looks a lot better and keeps the load that much lower.

David

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Actually, you can pull the headliner down at the edge enough to get to the rail fittings.
Even though I have the high rack, I removed my rails.
My wife's '97 doesn't have sun roofs so could use a low rack on it though.

Some Dude

Adventurer
The low-profile rack (roof rails out) is more desirable because it's a little easier to load, not quite as much aerodynamic loss
hahaha aerodynamic loss? You're on a rover board right? The low profile rack may save .001 mpg on these barn doors.

LtFuzz

Explorer
hahaha aerodynamic loss? You're on a rover board right? The low profile rack may save .001 mpg on these barn doors.

You'd be suprised, friend.

How many different SD racks have you used? I've used three different SD racks on three different Discos and believe me, your ".001 mpg" isn't very scientific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94