Return of Safety Devices, SD, racks

LtFuzz

Explorer
Actually, you can pull the headliner down at the edge enough to get to the rail fittings.
Even though I have the high rack, I removed my rails.
My wife's '97 doesn't have sun roofs so could use a low rack on it though.

You can also crease the hell out a headliner doing it this way!

I wasn't defending the roof rails as being useful, but a Disco without rails/rack looks strange, IMO. Taking them off for no reason seems like a weird hassle for a bizarre result.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Yeah, if you aren't careful you definitely can crease it.
I think Discos look weird anyway, so it doesn't bother me. ;)

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I voted for "Without." I considered myself fortunate to find a tall rack shortly after the purchase of my Disco One, so I didn't hesitate to buy it. If I would have been really fortunate, it would have been a short rack.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I voted D1 with roof rails. Just don't want to go to the effort of removing them. I am planning on replacing my brown church down the road so I am happy to see these being built again.

Some Dude

Adventurer
How many different SD racks have you used? I've used three different SD racks on three different Discos and believe me, your ".001 mpg" isn't very scientific.
A short rack on disco "A" getting better mileage than a tall rack on disco "B" isn't very scientific either considering how many other things are at play that would effect mileage. Besides, my comment wasn't meant to be scientific.

drsus

no roof rails... once you have a rack, youll never use them and the huge gap otherwise its ridiculous

Snagger

Explorer
The reails weren't fitted on most later DIs in the UK, and it looked better without them. Of course, there's a difference between not fitting them in the first place and removing them from a vehicle that already has them - you'd need to bung the fixing holes and could find paint or corrosion issues under the rail feet. If I had them, I'd probably just keep them.

As for the drag of high or low roof racks, the rack is going to be the same height at the rear regardless, so any effect would just be from trapping air in a funnel effect at the front of a level rack, which might be reduced with a stepped rack, but if the rack is not boarded, such an effect would be very small. That step isn't going to help those with sun roofs, though...

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
As for the drag of high or low roof racks, the rack is going to be the same height at the rear regardless, so any effect would just be from trapping air in a funnel effect at the front of a level rack, which might be reduced with a stepped rack, but if the rack is not boarded, such an effect would be very small. That step isn't going to help those with sun roofs, though...

The rear of my SD low rack is considerably lower than the rear of my SD high rack I had.

LtFuzz

Explorer
The rear of my SD low rack is considerably lower than the rear of my SD high rack I had.

Yeah, I was pretty sure the low profiles were sorter all the way around... Don't the arms on the back hug the alpine windows much more than on a standard?. But I havent had a low-profile since the early 2000s. Maybe pictures are in order?

PeterN

Observer
The roof rails on my D2 are like mountain goat horns and I like them but I'll take them off if it means I can mount an SD rack. I voted D2 no rails....not sure if that will work with my dual sunroofs.

Does anyone have experience with the Voyager racks?

Check them out here http://www.voyagerracks.com/DIIVR.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz