Google Nexus 7 tablet

haven

Expedition Leader
It looks very much like Google will market an Android tablet under the Nexus brand this Summer, just as the company does today for smart phones. Asus showed a machine like this at CES, but has not brought it to market.

Now that Google owns phone and tablet maker Motorola Mobility, I expect we'll see more Nexus branded products.

haven

Expedition Leader
Google Nexus tablet

The Google I/O Conference for Android developers is just hours away. Most pundits are saying
a Google-branded 7 inch tablet and the next version of Android OS will be introduced at the show.

Expected specifications for the new tablet include
-- name will be the Google Nexus Tablet
-- tablet made by Asus for Google
-- screen will be 7 inch, 1280x800 IPS color LCD, multi-touch enabled
-- processor will be nVidia Tegra 3, quad-core and running at 1.3 GHz
-- 1 GB RAM, 8 or 16 GB flash storage
-- OS will be Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
-- micro SD and micro HDMI slots, maybe micro USB
-- WiFi and Bluetooth only, no data service by cell phone carrier
-- 1.2 MP front camera for video chat, no rear camera
-- NFC radio, linked to Google Wallet app
-- maybe GPS chip for navigation << correct
-- Battery big enough for 9 hours

Pricing expected to be $199 for the 8 GB, $249 for the 16 GB model.
Tablet to be available through Google website at first.

We'll know soon how many of these predictions are correct. If the Nexus tablet has most of these features, then there's really no reason to buy the current version of Amazon Kindle Fire tablet or a Barnes and Noble Nook Color.

In the 7 inch tablet market today, Samsung offers a $250 model called the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. It doesn't have as nice a screen as the Nexus is expected to have, it has a 1 GHz dual core processor, and it costs $50 more than the comparable Nexus model. The Samsung does have an interesting infra-red emitter, which can be used to remotely control TV, DVD player and so on.

Acer has shown a 7 inch tablet called the A110 with quad core processor and similar specs to those listed above, but with an inferior screen. The A110 is expected to cost less than $200 when it's introduced later this year.

Amazon is expected to announce an upgraded version of the Fire in July. Barnes and Noble, which is now a partner with Microsoft, may produce a new tablet that runs Windows 8 RT. But RT is not expected until October.

haven

Expedition Leader
The announcement is official -- the tablet is called Nexus 7, and has most of the features listed in the previous post. GPS is in, but HDMI and micro SD are out. I guess Google wants you to stream video to your TV via Bluetooth or WiFi.

Learn more, and order the Nexus 7 online here https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb
Tablets ordered now will include a $25 credit for the Google Play store, plus some free extras, including a copy of the Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon movie. The tablet is due to ship in 2-3 weeks.

gahi

Adventurer
Everything looks great, except for the lack of the front facing camera. But I think this paired with BCNav, and the new google earth will be a sweet combo for offroad gps. I own the galaxy nexus phone, and so far I havnt even come close to using up the memory. So the missing sd slot is OK in my world. I dont store movies though.

$200 is a lot less than I bought my Garmin for 6 mos ago.

Carlyle

Explorer
Looks like the Nexus 16 gig will be my next purchase. Something to replace my Kindle, Sony reader and Dodge factory GPS. I'll need to find a Ram mount for it then.

Last edited:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I just put in a pre-order for this. Says 2-3 weeks for delivery, I'm curious if it will actually show up on time :)

This will be replacing my hacked B&N Nook...same general size and both run android. I run BCN + Torque in the truck when I use it for overlanding. I'll load everything up on the Nexus7 and do a review/comparison once I get it.

and there will be an overland-ready Nook for sale in the for-sale section in a few weeks ;)

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
It looks very much like Google will market an Android tablet under the Nexus brand this Summer, just as the company does today for smart phones. Likely specifications include

-- manufactured by Asus
-- running Android 4.1, aka Jelly Bean
-- powered by nVidia Tegra four core processor
-- 1280 x 800 color LCD touchscreen
-- target price less than $250, maybe only $199
-- to keep price down, no GPS chip
.... This would be OK as long as you can attach an external GPS by Bluetooth
-- to keep price down, WiFi only, no 3G or 4G data service
-- to keep price down, 16 GB storage, 1 GB RAM

Asus showed a machine like this at CES, but has not brought it to market.

Now that Google owns phone and tablet maker Motorola Mobility, I expect we'll see more Nexus branded products.

Nexus7 website says it has a GPS chip...I'm curious to see how well it works...

haven

Expedition Leader
Criticisms of the Nexus 7 revolve around a couple of port omissions

-- no HDMI output
Even though Google touts the Nexus 7 as a tool for media consumption, there is no way to attach the Nexus 7 to an HD tv. There is no HDMI output port, and no support for USB Mobile High Definition Link (MHL). MHL converts USB to HDMI signal.

I guess Google wants you to stream movies to your TV from Internet cloud storage, and use a dedicated home entertainment device such as the recently announced Google Q to connect the cloud storage to the HDMI tv. Or maybe this omission is due to the fact that neither the Amazon Kindle Fire nor Barnes and Noble Nook tablets have HDMI output.

-- no SD or micro SD card slot
The Nexus 7's built-in storage is limited to 8 GB or 16 GB. There is no slot for SD card. According to Anandtech, Android 4.1 has no support for attaching an external drive by USB. The Nook does have a micro SD card.

There will be much research by the hacker community into the Nexus 7 hardware and Android 4.1 software to rectify these two omissions.

Other features left out of the Nexus 7 include no removable battery, no active digitizer (thus no stylus input) and no second camera.

haven

Expedition Leader
Nexus 7 vs HTC Flyer

One 7 inch tablet that has the capabilities missing from the Nexus 7 is the HTC Flyer. The Flyer, announced in Fall 2010 and shipped in Spring 2011, has a slower processor and lower screen resolution than the Nexus 7. But it does have the following features:

-- HDMI output via MHL hardware (cost about $15)
-- Micro USB card slot
-- removable 4000 mAh battery
-- front and back cameras
-- digitizer for stylus input

Other Flyer specs include
-- 7" color LCD screen, 1024x600 pixels
-- 1.5GHz Qualcomm single core ARM processor
-- 1GB RAM
-- 16GB or 32GB Internal flash Storage
-- 5 Megapixel Camera rear camera
-- 1.3 Megapixel Front-facing Camera
-- GPS chip
-- Bluetooth and WiFi b/g/n

Used or Refurbished Flyers show up from time to time for less than $200. Here's a used one I found today for $159 with free shipping
http://www.cowboom.com/product/858678
and here's a factory refurbished unit for $179, shipping included
http://www.buy.com/prod/htc-flyer-7...-5ghz-16gb-storage-android-2-3/228259799.html

The Flyer originally shipped with Android 2.3. An update to Android 3.x was released in December 2011. No schedule for update to Android 4.x has been announced.

The Flyer is thicker and substantially heavier than the Nexus 7, making it less comfortable to hold in one hand. Not a problem if you're planning to mount it in your truck!

Most Flyers were sold as WiFi only models. A couple of USA cell phone carriers sold the Flyer with a 3G modem. US Cellular and T-Mobile sold the Flyer, and Sprint renamed it the EVO View 4G.

My guess is that HTC will announce a Flyer 2 model later this year, with updates to the processor and screen resolution. But it won't cost $200, more likely $300.

Caoboy

Adventurer
I played with the Nexus7 yesterday, my buddy already has one. It's freakin' sweet, and the potential that Google brings with it is huge.

My buddy already explained some things to me that I'm not techy enough to reiterate without obliterating, but it's pretty genius.

4.1 Jellybean also really smoothed out the GNEX too, and it's really smooth on the tablet as well. Google Now is creepy, in privacy invading way, but it's a double edged sword, as it is interesting how it learns and automatically pops up the 'cards'.

Battery life is supposed to be 9 hours of video, my buddy has not tested it yet to see what numbers he can pull.

at 250 for the 16 gig, I think it's totally worth it compared to other 7" tablets.

Think iPad smooth with the touch screen/scrolling...no lag, they are finally on par with Apple.

slooowr6

Explorer
The Nexus 7 is so close to perfect for me. I really want to have the HDMI option. I'll be waiting for Acer Iconia A110 to come out and see how it stacks up against the Nexus 7. They are the same price similar spec but the Acer has HDMI and micro SD card support.

haven

Expedition Leader
The A110 is definitely interesting. It's got a GPS chip, the Tegra 3 quad core processor, HDMI and MicroSD. Drawbacks include 1024x600 screen of lower quality than the Nexus 7's IPS panel, smaller battery, and slightly thicker body.

Acer has a 10 inch model called the A210 that has a nicer 1280x800 screen, but it costs more.

If rumors are correct, we should hear about Amazon's upgrade for the Kindle Fire in two or three weeks. It will be interesting to see if Amazon's programmers have customized Android 4.0 to the level that they reworked Android 2.3 for the original Fire. It's possible that Amazon will stick to 2.3, and simply upgrade the processor for a more responsive input.

I'm thinking Barnes and Noble will introduce a new Nook this Fall, based on Windows RT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94