Fridge Question

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
My fridge (3 way absorbsion model) in my Tcer is acting up. I am thinking of replacing it with an electric fridge, I heard that there is a model that can run vertically like a normal fridge, is this true?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm researching the Nova Kool refrigerators right now and considering doing the exact same thing, replacing a 3.0 cu. ft. gas RV refer with a 12 volt unit. I've been looking at the Waeco/Dometic and now the Nova Kool.

As of yet I have zero experience with their products, but I've got to give them kudos for customer service. I've called them twice today and both times the telephone was immediately answered by a real person who was polite, professional, and helpful, which unfortunately is hard to come by these days.

Apparently mobile and off-grid refer applications is 'all they do', a big plus in my mind. And they are in Canada, which is probably good for you.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have done a lot of the research and I am leaning this way with a couple exceptions;

- one is the size. With the chest type I will be loosing a lot of space from what I see, with the built in this is less of a problem but not sure about power consumption on the large units. Now many times size is not an issue but I want to see a unit first and see before I make the jump as if I am going to loose too much then this is out.

- the second is the power. I know that I will have to go with a solar panel for power, or carry the generator (not a bad option in itself for back country stays). I do really like the propane option of my current fridge as it runs and runs without any issues on propane and uses VERY little. But I am getting tired of the issues that I am having - not cooling when it is hot out is not fun!!

I am actually looking at the compressor fridge as a addition to my current unit as well (we would put it in the trailer) - this way we can use the propane fridge for a lot of items and the compressor for pop and other things that we pull out during the day. This should help the propane fridge to stay cooler and save it from loosing heat and having to cool off water and pop every day. Also, as I do it now I use a cooler with ice and HATE draining the water and trying to find ice. The chest one would stop that problem.

On Edit - I do like the Nova Cool chest type as an additional unit, just sent an E-mail to see if they have a retailer around our area.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have done a lot of the research and I am leaning this way with a couple exceptions;

- one is the size. With the chest type I will be loosing a lot of space from what I see, with the built in this is less of a problem but not sure about power consumption on the large units. Now many times size is not an issue but I want to see a unit first and see before I make the jump as if I am going to loose too much then this is out.
snip...

I have and Engel MT60 but it won't fit in my camper, so I'd like to replace an upright 3-way (leaking/smell) with a 12V unit. Though I do think I can fit the MT60 on top of the folded back seat of my Tundra, I want the camper set-up, self-contained, and ready. Sure, I could fix the leaking 3-way RV, and still might, but this is a god excuse to R&R with a 12V. We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles