My new to me 91 Quigley

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
Hey all, I just finally found a 1991 E350 Quigley 4x4 van with a 7.3 non turbo diesel motor. its not a camper van but Im hoping it will be soon enough. This van has very little rust and runs/drives great. I stole it for 1400 bucks!! Anyway, I will post up pics soon enough. Anyone else with a similiar van with the N/A 7.3 motor?. Im interested in seing what you guys have done on the inside for a bed. I want to build something that folds up against the wall and folds down when you need a place to sleep.

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
one more question, Id like to lift it a few inches. The rear is simple but for the coils in the front can I just use some 1.5-2" coil spacers or will I need new coils? if I need new coils then who sells lift coils for my van?

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
Did I post in the wrong section or something? 129 views and no one has anything for me?. Ok, I'll move on, probably wrong section.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Lets see that beast! Lifting the front of a Q van isn't as simple as adding a taller coil or spacer, there's a lot of geometry involved. How much tire do you want to put under it? fender trimming may be a better option unless you want to go more than 33's.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I use a cot in the back of mine. It's not fancy, but being realistic - I camp about once a month so spending wads of dough on buying a folding bed and installing it is a lot of work (plus i put a dirtbike inside it)....but eventually I'll do a permanent bed in back (better mattress, no setup necessary). Nothing like a quality night's sleep between long dirt bike days. My van doesn't have coils up front (different 4x4) so I can't help. I'm also a gas motor...can't help you there either.

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
Thank you fellas!. I do have a nice Cot I could just toss in the rear because I won't be camping in it alot and I also have a dirtbike that I might be hauling in the rear as well as other bulky items. I am running some 32's right now but would love some 35's which I believe your right, I could run with just some fender persuasion. Im thinking just run some 33's so I keep some of the MPG's I have and power, Im afraid 35's might sap to much power but they would definetely LOOK better on such a huge long van. I love this van and will post up pics asap.

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
Ok, heres a pic. I just got it so I want to fix the small surface rust areas, replace the trim thats missing in spots. My plan is to run some 33's or 35's if they don't suck all my power away and fuel mileage, I want to keep this real driveable. However these vans just look so awesome when they have bigger tires on them, part of it is that they are so huge that they need bigger tires to look proportionate. Specs are E40OD tranny, BW 1356 T-case, Dana 44 front axle on coils, 7.3 IDI diesel, runs great drives great. CAme with the roof rack, lights and nice CB, got it for $1400 bucks!!!!

van.jpg

New River KTM

Observer
I agree with Chris you need to be very careful when lifting the Quigley. I have a Quadravan (with coils)and spent considerable time searching and recalculating geometry to raise my van approx. 2". I used Superlift springs, track bar adjustments and other tweaks to keep the ride the same but just get a mild lift.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
One serious hell of a deal. Nice rig. I know Quigs and Pathys are very different in their front end suspension treatment, but from the look of your pictures, your stock ride height is about what my Pathfinder conversion is. I was able to cram a 34" tall tire under mine with just a little trimming on the back lower section of each rear fender. No rubbing lock to lock under "full articulation" (there is no such thing as "Articulation" in my van....). Just a spacer under your leaf spring (is it a leaf spring?) or coil should be enough for a 35" tire. I will tell you going from a 235-85-16 to a 285-75-16 tire knocked 2MPG off my rig...plan on that as you consider the fuel burn to cool ratio.

Man. $1400. Deal of the century.

SG

VANMAN

Observer
What a deal! I have a 1990 E350...same drivetrain.....I had 3.55 gears with 33 inch tires....replaced Dana 44 with a Danna 60 (just because... D44 worked fine!)....changed gears to 4.10 and they work much better and I don't see much mileage difference...I think it was lugging too much with 3.55's.....about 12 years ago put a banks turbo on it ....makes a big diifference...

I trimmed back of front fenders (bottom 10-12inches) about 2 inches to clear 35's.

I would try to put a turbo that spools up at lower RPM if you could.....mine comes on under load best at about 2600 rpm..

Have fun with it! Still watching your build Spence!.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles